Upcoming Powder Shortage?

NWS

Anybody see the recent announcement from Vista Outdoors regarding Alliant powders?

Evidently all orders are cancelled due to worldwide shortage of nitrocellulose and mixed messages coming from other Powder suppliers?!?!

Better batten down the hatches. Here we go again.

georgia_home

I posted related info in a relate link last week. And yes … between inflation and global need for the products, yes. Shortage time

they are not even speculating on when they may be able to fill certain orders, per reports ive read in some places

georgia_home

The link for a few months ago, updated last week

NWS

Just read this in another forum regarding Powder Valley:

“FYI – we have just received the following message from Vista Outdoors (the parent company of Alliant Powders):”
“Due to the worldwide shortage of nitrocellulose, the Vista Outdoor supply agreement for the sale of Alliant Powder canisters has been suspended for an unknown period. At this time, we have no timeline for the fulfillment and will be canceling outstanding Alliant orders in our system.
Representatives will provide updates and coordinate new orders based on availability.”
We have heard mixed messages from various powder suppliers about the availability of nitrocellulose, and therefore powder, over the past several months. This is one Manufacturer’s analysis of the situation. We are posting this so you can have all the information we have and draw whatever conclusions are right for you.

Last edited:

GregoryB.

Maybe with a powder shortage the bullet manufacturers will be able to put a decent supply of primers and other reloading components on the market since they won’t have the powder to make ammo.

Jester896

Senior Clown
China, India and Taiwan are the largest producers of nitrocellulose...wonder what is up with that.

georgia_home

A job Americans don’t wanna do

/sarc, but maybe not

China, India and Taiwan are the largest producers of nitrocellulose...wonder what is up with that.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Alliant has been producing far less than Winchester, Hodgdon, or Accurate for several years.
I'm glad I have an ample supply of RL15 and a scoach of RL22 . I have never found RL-17 when I looked and there are a few more I wouldn't mind trying...have long since given up.

earlthegoat2

Only gun powder made in US are the Winchester labeled powders

Saw this on another forum.

No verified source unfortunately. The poster has a good reputation for reliability and accuracy with information though.

Accurate powders:
No 2 - USA
No 5 - USA
No 7 - Belgium now USA
No 9 - Belgium now USA
1680 - Israel now USA

Alliant powders:
Bullseye - USA
All "Dot" powders - USA
Promo - USA
Sport Pistol - USA
Unique - USA
BE-86 - USA
Power Pistol - USA
Herco - USA
Reloder 7 - Sweden
Reloder 10X - Sweden
Reloder 15 - Sweden
Reloder 16 - Switzerland
Reloder 17 - Switzerland
Reloder 19 - Sweden
Reloder 22 - Sweden
Reloder 25 - Sweden
Reloder 26 - Switzerland
Reloder 33 - Switzerland
Reloder 50 - Switzerland

Goex powders - USA

Hodgdon powders:
Titewad - USA
HP-38 - USA
Titegroup - USA
Clays - Australia now Canada
International Clays - Australia now Canada
Universal Clays - Australia now Canada
CFE Pistol - USA
HS-6 - USA
Longshot - USA
H110 - USA
H322 - Australia
H335 - USA
H380 - USA
H414 - USA
CFE 223 - USA
Lil' Gun - USA
Hybrid 100V - USA
Benchmark - Australia
BL-C(2) - USA
H4198 - Australia
H4227 - Australia
H4350 - Australia
H4831 - Australia
H4831 SC - Australia
H4895 - Australia now USA?
Varget - Australia
50 BMG - Australia
H1000 - Australia
Leverevolution - USA
Superformance - USA
Retumbo - Australia
US869 - USA

IMR powders:
700X - USA
800X - USA
PB - Canada
IMR Trail Boss - Australia
SR 4756 - Canada
SR 4759 - Canada
SR 7625 - Canada
I3031 - Canada
I4007 SSC - Canada
I4064 - Canada
I4166 - Canada
I4198 - Australia
I4227 - Australia
I4320 - Canada
I4350 - Canada
I4451 - Canada
I4895 - Canada now USA?
I4831 - Canada
I4955 - Canada
I7828 - Canada
I7828 SSC - Canada
I7977 - Canada
8208 XBR - Australia

Maxam/CSB powders - Spain

Norma powders - Switzerland & 4 other countries
N203 - Sweden
MRP - Sweden

Ramshot powders:
Silhouette - USA
ZIP - Belgium
True Blue - Belgium
TAC - Belgium

Shooters World/Lovex powders - Czech Republic

Vectan powders - Sweden

VihtaVuori powders - Finland

Winchester Powders:
AA Lite - USA
231 - USA
244 - USA
WST - USA
WSF - USA
WSH - USA
AutoComp - USA
296 - USA
748 - USA
760 - USA
Supreme 780 - USA

rosewood

Only gun powder made in US are the Winchester labeled powders
The flake type powder from Alliant is made in Radford, VA. The stick powder is imported. Lots of Hodgdon labels are still made in Florida.

Last edited:

sbroadwell

Rather than starting a new thread and cluttering the board, I'll ask this question here, and maybe will get some answers.
I'm finally going to start reloading. Can't do it til my building gets built, and Lord knows how many weeks/months that will be.
But, if powder is fixing to get short, I want to go ahead and get a few pounds, and some primers, so when I get set up I'll be readly.\
I know what primers I'll need, but have no clue on powder. I'll be reloading for .357 and eventually .44 magnum. What is one powder that will work ok for both?
I'm thinking Unique, but not sure that's the best way to go.

Thanks

deerslayer357

Rather than starting a new thread and cluttering the board, I'll ask this question here, and maybe will get some answers.
I'm finally going to start reloading. Can't do it til my building gets built, and Lord knows how many weeks/months that will be.
But, if powder is fixing to get short, I want to go ahead and get a few pounds, and some primers, so when I get set up I'll be readly.\
I know what primers I'll need, but have no clue on powder. I'll be reloading for .357 and eventually .44 magnum. What is one powder that will work ok for both?
I'm thinking Unique, but not sure that's the best way to go.

Thanks
Alliant 2400 will work well with both, while filling the cases full enough that a double charge is practically impossible. With unique a double charge is possible without spilling over.

Hodgdon W296/H110 would also be good for both for max loads, but you have to be careful how much you reduce the max loads.

I am sure there are other powder choices that would work for both, but those are a couple off of the top of my head.

Last edited:

rosewood

Yes, Unique will be good for lower velocity loads, but I haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time, 2400 either.

You will likely need to look into some flavor of Hodgdon Powder. Longshot, CFE Pistol, HS-6 are some I have seen on the shelves recently and will cover most low end target loads. H110/296 will give you max velocity in both.

Rosewood