Urban Deer Hunting

beaulesye10

I've had some pretty slow deer movement on my lease back home the last few weeks. A friend of mine that I work with asked me to grab him a few wooden pallets (my dad collects them for odd projects)to store his kayaks on, so I brought him a few over this past Sunday. I noticed the little woodlot behind his house and asked if I could throw some corn out just to see what happens. He lives in a subdivision type area right in Albany so I wasn't expecting much. Only had about 10 or 15 pounds of feed and he said sure he could have half of what ever I killed. Told him to just look out there near dark and before work and let me know if he saw anything. (I told him it would probably be a few days before anything found it) He calls me Monday after he gets home from work to tell me he is looking at three deer without horns. I was on my way home for work so I stopped by to see what was there. Sure enough there are two does and yearling standing right there behind his house.

I came over Tuesday and hunted, saw nothing. I had to work well south of the court circuit on Wednesday and wouldn't you know it he calls me at 530 to tell me he is staring at the same three deer again.

Well I got off a little early this evening and eased over there. I slide my bolts in the tree and hung my little lock on. I pulled up my Coastal Bend bow and 5 arrows and was settled in my 445. At 530 I hear footsteps to my North out in front of me. Here come a large doe with three rather large yearling running with their tails up right pass me. I opted to not stop them as they had no idea I was in the world and the closest there were was maybe 25 yards I thought. As the left I looked at the opening to my east and thought "Man I can make that shot, no problem". Well right at last light I hear walking to my south and here comes the deer all four of them. They ease in to the feed and start to eat. They were only there for a few minutes as I was waiting for the big doe to turn right, when one of the neighbors some 60 yards away walks out with his dog on a leash. They bolt back to my east before stopping. The large doe freezes perfectly broadside in the same opening I had opted to pass on a shot a mere 30 minutes before. I didn't even thing twice I drew focused on the hair line and let the string drop!

I heard a crack, watched her kick and run right into a tree! I didn't hear her fall, and I couldn't tell where I hit her, but normally when they hit stuff it is a good sign. ::;::; I immediately called my friend Bert who lives on the property to come out I had shot one at a little bit of a further shot than I normally take and couldn't tell where I hit her or hear her crash.

Since his back door is less than 50 yards from the tree I was on, he was there before I had made it to the ground asking what happened, and how long we had to wait.

I told him we would check the arrow and the shot and make a decision. Well at the spot of the hit, there was a LOT of blood! :yeah: Oh and that tree she hit use to be a sweet gum but was now a red fur! :cheers: I found the back of my 31 inch shaft minus about 4 inches about 30 yards from the shot. I told him with the amount of blood and the arrow broken and not sticking in the dirt I hit a shoulder and she wouldn't be far.

We found this just pass the arrow.

30 yards further we found this.

Nice memory with my buddy and being right in Albany my girlfriend was also able to come over and take the picture.

Shot her with a Coastal Bend Longbow 69lbs at my draw with a 700 grain Goldtip traditional blem and Magnus I broadhead with a chisel tip. Shot her at 25 steps from the tree (my second furthest shot with trad gear) arrow went through the shoulder cutting the top of the heart and broke two ribs before exiting. She didn't got 75 yards.

Thanks for reading!

Jake Allen

Mighty fine man! Congratulations.

sawtooth

Very nice. I love those red fur trees. I would keep after the others if I were you. Great shot. Don't listen to big mustache!

rapid fire

Awesome. Nothing like urban deer with a stick and string. That's a good selling point with a lot of land owners as well.