Vessel listing in St Simons sound

Bobbrown

Coast guard evacuated crew from a car carrier that is listing in St Simon sound at 4am.
Article said port was closed to all boat traffic...not sure what to that means.
Just might want to check before heading out.
Another article said the tide was pushing it toward the pier...not sure which one.
That’s alli got....sorry

Bobbrown

Just took a look see. Seems to be on the SSI side of the channel. Probably pretty close to their fishing pier. Rolled over on its side at about a 45 debtors the island, I think 2 crewmissing

Cumberlandjg

Saw that this is going to be a big environmental issue, right around the time of bull red spawning also, hopefully it isnt a huge blow to the fishery there.

billdawg

Saw that this is going to be a big environmental issue, right around the time of bull red spawning also, hopefully it isnt a huge blow to the fishery there.

I cant find much info on how much of a spill there was and what/how harmful the substance is. We'll see what DNR comes up with this week once they do their testing.

Hoping it doesn't impact things too badly.

BDD

Looking at the first picture sure doesn’t look like it’s in 38 foot of water,
It look like the hole ship is out of the water.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I noticed in several of the daylight pictures that there was no containment boom around the vessel yet, but also didn't see anything that looked like a sheen or slick from fuel. I'd assume there's a response contractor on scene by now to handle any fuel or oil that leaks.

Yeah, they are not even trying to contain the spill. I am super bummed that I moved to this area now. Without fishing, I am lost. Hopefully I can find a job that will get me back to Florida in the next year.

Big7

The Oracle
Way top heavy. The folks that designed that ship need to go back to engineering school.

That is a different discipline than mine. Even I can see that.

Greedy. Plain and simple.

bilgerat

Senior
they floated the cruise ship that sank and rolled over a few years ago and it had a big hole in the hull, they can upright and float that cargo ship in a few months ,I saw that they rescued 3 of the missing crew today and located the 4th, he is trapped behind a wall and they were working on cutting him out.

GeorgiaBob

My guess is that this RORO will be floated off the sand before October 10, 2019 and moved somewhere inside the sound. It will probably take a couple of monster cranes, hundreds of air bladders and a half dozen "ocean" tugs. After they have the ship out of the entrance channel a recovery team will work on repairing internal bilge systems and pumping her dry. Only then will they attempt to move Golden Ray into an upright position.

I do not claim any expertise beyond my 60 years as a small boat sailor. Most of the guess is based on common sense and the known stability issues of RORO (roll on, roll off) ships.