Waiting for spring

splatek

UAEC
Although my deer season was a bust and I plan to hunt small game, turkey, and hog over the next few months, I haven't forgotten about my love of fishing small North Georgia Streams for small wild trout, including out native brook trout. The weather has been such that I've not been outside much, which means my boy and I have been spending time at the vise tying patterns that we think will work on those gorgeous wild fish. This is similar to a pattern that I've used in the past that has done very well in some creeks. Something about that flashy backside...other than that it's just a copper beaded PT. Super easy to tie: Small hook (size 12-18), fluro orange thread, pheasant tail, a little pink dubbing and some crystal flash. Tie in the flash at the back, then tie the rest like a frenchie PT. I really like it with a silver tungsten bead up front, but I am out of those from tying my favorite hooch tailwater pattern.
Anyhow, I thought I'd share it here and see what folks thought.

image1 (9).jpeg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh Yeah!!!!!! That will fish!!!!!!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking pattern.

splatek

UAEC
I've been experimenting with minimalist flies in the hooch tailwater, but I find that the wilds up in the mountains like a little meat on their hook. Hence, the PT feather. This pattern with just thread absolutely slays some tailwater fish, probably b/c it looks like a midge of sorts when tied small.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been experimenting with minimalist flies in the hooch tailwater, but I find that the wilds up in the mountains like a little meat on their hook. Hence, the PT feather. This pattern with just thread absolutely slays some tailwater fish, probably b/c it looks like a midge of sorts when tied small.
Yep, I do better on wild trout in small streams with bigger nymphs, often big, fat ones in #10-#12 or sometimes even bigger. The only time those tiny little things seem to work really well is in summer when the water is low.

splatek

UAEC
Well, it worked.
I scouted out a possible hog hunting spot today, thanks to the help of @KillerKyle and the path ran along a small blueline. I had not fished this one, yet, I don't think, so I made sure to pack my collapsible eagle claw rigged with a tiny black dry and the fly above as a dropper. First cast into a nice plunge pool and I landed this beaut!
Every pool, riffle, run had at least one in it. I ended up catching about 12 on the way in and about 10-12 on the way out. Turns out I must have read the map incorrectly and didn't realize there were 4-5 creek crossings to get to the spot. At least one was a little bit deeper than knee deep, another mid shin, the others were just deep enough to get into my boots. Suffice it to say, that by the time I go to where i was going to sit and wait for hogs, my toes were cold. 2 hours of sitting and there was ice forming on my boots and I could not longer feel anything in my toes, I'd even lost that burning cold sensation. I decided it was best to take off and chalk this up to a scouting trip. I'm not sure what the temp was, but every puddle on the path had ice on it.

IMG_0461.JPG

They were all small, rainbows and all colored up. Eager to eat, which was awesome. No hits on the dry, not surprisingly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal!