Walking Around GPS ?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I use HuntStand on my phone. You can download the map before you go and use the app without cell signal, as others have said.
Me too!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Wow, that things is absolutely loaded with features. I wonder how well it works off the coast?
They work pretty well any where there is satellite coverage. Years ago the planes had inertial navigation with airfield radio guidance prior to gps. I carried the predecessor to that unit on my trips. As we we’re traveling so fast vertically it couldn’t calculate I would have to punch in our altitude at level off. I never used it for navigation but it was a comfort to know it matched certified units that were less capable.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

tr21

That’s a great looking product. I carry a nonsolar power cell in my backpack on my biz travels.
I use one works great. just sit it in the sun while you at camp or sitting in the stand and it charges.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I use one works great. just sit it in the sun while you at camp or sitting in the stand and it charges.
This job is costing me money, I keep seeing the better toys. :bounce:

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I use both. OnX is pretty aewsome. I use it in Alaska and it works pretty good in gps mode. I used it flying in a small airplane and it worked. If i kinda know were i am going i sometime forget to bring the gps - my onx cell has a camera so it goes everywhere. In very remote areas there are places that the onx maps lack. My garmin has maps topo everywhere i have even been. I use it off shore. And it shows some chart stuff

A Garmin 64 ST is rugged it will take tons of abuse compared to a cell phone. We use the garmin two way sat texting gps (i don’t know the model or technical info on it, but it works anywhere other than its yellow). Very expensive for a subscription and to send a text - so emergencies only… the person receiving the texts needs to know they will get a strange text and may not open it often disregard as spam.

Also check operating temps. Most of us dont need to worry about that but in extreme temps the GPS wins over a cell phone.

If you wear a tinfoil hat and are concerned about someone tracking you… less chance with a Garmin gps… at least thats what i have been told.

If it were a life and death navigate out of an remote area especially an area i had never been… i would want a Garmin over a cell phone… better to have both if possible.

Fishin & Hunting

That Garmin 67i is now $400 on sale at several places including Bass Pro.

Yelpu1

Yes. I like a few of the phone apps and reasonably fluent with a couple but some places I go looking for new places on public land don't get a cell signal.

Places I have leased were no problem because I had time to learn them, make trails, etc..
I'm looking for a way to cover ground and either go to interesting places found on a SAT MAP or be able to easily return to any good places I stumble upon by marking way points.

Kind of like marking way point in a big lake or on the open ocean. i.e., punch in GPS Coordinates and drive or walk right to the point without cell coverage.

Yelpu1

Yes. I like a few of the phone apps and reasonably fluent with a couple but some places I go looking for new places on public land don't get a cell signal.

Places I have leased were no problem because I had time to learn them, make trails, etc..
I'm looking for a way to cover ground and either go to interesting places found on a SAT MAP or be able to easily return to any good places I stumble upon by marking way points.

Kind of like marking way point in a big lake or on the open ocean. i.e., punch in GPS Coordinates and drive or walk right to the point without cell coverage.
No cell service needed, download map at home and go to offline map when you in woods. I switch to airplane mode when I leave truck to save battery

I still carry a gps with truck marked and a compass.