War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassRaider

I watch the CFL & NFL and play fantasy football. To each is own.
Now back to this thread!

How many Confederate state flags were there?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I will venture 1 per state at a time, so 11

BassRaider

Milkman, 11 is incorrect. Just to be more specific, state flags during the war period. One hint, not all 11 states had a state flag at the time.

westcobbdog

What civil war action was fought near Smyrna as Joe J and the Rebs were retreating towards Atl? It was at or near a Mill.

Meriwether Mike

I drive by the roadside plaque for Ruffs Mill on a regular basis. Hoping those who want to erase our history never pay any attention to them.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It is one thing releasing prisoners of war 500 to 900 miles from their homes and letting them make their own way back to their homes. It is another thing entirely doing counties and who were otherwise defenseless in a dire time.

Many were never heard from again. Would that have surprised Sherman? I think not. That and a few other of his "acts of war" would have made it a pleasure for many to cut his throat if given the opportunity.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Two Godly “old maid” sisters who were elderly but still teaching were my 3rd and 5th grade teachers in the mid 60s.

They gave me my first knowledge of the war. Their grandparents property was destroyed during the March to the Sea campaign. They heard first hand about the atrocities.
I can say without hesitation that I firmly believe Miss Frances and Miss Annie Roberts hated WT Sherman more than Satan. ?

westcobbdog

Two Godly “old maid” sisters who were elderly but still teaching were my 3rd and 5th grade teachers in the mid 60s.

They gave me my first knowledge of the war. Their grandparents property was destroyed during the March to the Sea campaign. They heard first hand about the atrocities.
I can say without hesitation that I firmly believe Miss Frances and Miss Annie Roberts hated WT Sherman more than Satan. ?

Dang those 2 Ladies would be known as haters today, which is sad. And they were just telling the truth. I inherited a few books from my Grandma,circa 1900, one by Emma LeConte and about being terrified of the yanks and occupation and dealing with them and another by the old lady who was from Decatur and wrote about the blue mercenaries in Decatur.

westcobbdog

Sherman also worked some in some capacity in surveying around Marietta and Kennesaw Mtn some years before the war of yankee aggression which came in handy later.

Resica

It's been asked before but it's been awhile. What Confederate General's Great Grandson was the first American General killed in WW2?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am getting older faster than my brain can keep up, consequently lots of facts are harder to come up with than they once were.

Status
Not open for further replies.