Was a great week in Dooly county

Madsnooker

My son shot a giant 8pt last Tuesday evening and then Friday morning I shot this great 10pt. Unfortunately we couldn't find him. No blood nothing. Searched everywhere we thought he went. Long story short, I had to come home yesterday but my son was staying another week. I told him watch for buzzards and today the buzzards gave him away. Thank you Lord for at least a partial recovery. Hated losing the meat though!!!

Great week of hunting with awesome weather!!!30649.jpeg31722.jpeg

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Wow what 2 beautiful bucks ! Congrats to you both , sucks to lose any animal but unfortunately it happens , glad you at least got closure .
That area of our state sure produces some fine deer , and has for a while .

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
How far did he make it from the shot ? And what did you shoot him with , not trying to start a war , really just curious .

Toliver

Tell your son he can't catch Covid from a deer. ::ke: :bounce:

I'm guessing if the buzzards were on it, we'd be able to smell that picture, too!

And those or both great bucks.

Duff

2 fantastic bucks!!

Big’ens!!!

Blackston

How far did he make it from the shot ? And what did you shoot him with , not trying to start a war , really just curious .
Had to have been a 6.5 nosler 270 ballistic tip creedmore …..forgive me for my terrible joke ….. congratulations on 2 HAMMER bucks !!

Madsnooker

Believe me my buddy that helped me look and I have really been scratching our heads about what happened. He used to load bullets and knows alot about ballistics. I normally shoot core locks but this year switched to Hornady ballistic tips. I was actually trying to buy Remington corelock ballistic tips for no other reason then just a more true flight for a little better group. I couldn't find any so I bought the Hornady. I shoot 180 grain.

The deer went 225 yds the opposite direction I thought he went. There were 2 bucks together and apparently when they entered the woods the one I didn't shoot through me off. There was no hair, blood or any indication I hit the deer. My son said it was a perfect shot behind the shoulder and low of center. He is going back today and roll him over to see if there was a pass thru? I will owe him big time as he is rank. :rofl: our assumption is the bullet after mushrooming didn't stay together and did not pass thru and he bleed internal. In hindsight I should have called in a dog but with no blood and the amount of deer that was there the same morning I didn't think that would work? I always thought a dog needed meat, hair or blood to trail but was told yesterday that a deer gives off an order thru its feet when it gets injured?? I had never heard that and not sure if true???

Believe me my buddy that helped me look and I have really been scratching our heads about what happened. He used to load bullets and knows alot about ballistics. I normally shoot core locks but this year switched to Hornady ballistic tips. I was actually trying to buy Remington corelock ballistic tips for no other reason then just a more true flight for a little better group. I couldn't find any so I bought the Hornady. I shoot 180 grain.

The deer went 225 yds the opposite direction I thought he went. There were 2 bucks together and apparently when they entered the woods the one I didn't shoot through me off. There was no hair, blood or any indication I hit the deer. My son said it was a perfect shot behind the shoulder and low of center. He is going back today and roll him over to see if there was a pass thru? I will owe him big time as he is rank. :rofl: our assumption is the bullet after mushrooming didn't stay together and did not pass thru and he bleed internal. In hindsight I should have called in a dog but with no blood and the amount of deer that was there the same morning I didn't think that would work? I always thought a dog needed meat, hair or blood to trail but was told yesterday that a deer gives off an order thru its feet when it gets injured?? I had never heard that and not sure if true???
My buddy had similar results with his 300 ultra mag. He went to 150 grain and had zero issues after that. That may have been the issues for you. Pierced the deer without much expansion. Deer being thin skin game could have been the issue with that. There are so many other variables no way to say exact. Me personal I would go down to 150 but that’s just me

When deer are hit they leave scent through there feet. A great dog will pick up on that blood hair meat or not. I gut shot one with a bow hit high no blood gut or anything. Called Nicholas skinner his dog went straight to it . About 150 yards…