Well. It happened. I'm old! Beloved .270 will neeed adjustment and I am breaking out the 30-30.

Bob2010

Man. Feels like punishment. Either missed clean or gut shot a big beautiful buck yesterday. No blood or guts on the ground. Lots of factors play into this one. I have glasses on order for pick up this week. I also was using federal 130 grain that were bought during the shortage. Hard right side shot for a right hand shooter. I honestly think the deer was hit and made it 100 yards off of my property before it knew it was hit. These bullets are screaming so fast and the 130 grain just doesn't expand up close. Mountain property, so if the deer made it all the way down the mnt he went a long ways. Late afternoon I went back to look again. 100 yards out one came off the bed like a pushed gut shot. It was not on a property that I could go investigate. Truth is I am getting old and sloppy. Should not have happened. I am saving the .270 for 100 plus yard hunts and I will swap rounds to 150 grain and get some range time. I shot the gun early that morning. Scope was on and hitting. Unless there was a 150 grain on top and a 130 grain below it???

The real deal is the old 30-30 brush gun. When I want a deer to drop or I'm hunting the thicket this is my pick. 30-30 winchester ranger. Knocks a quarter size exit every time. Slower round has the knock down up close. It's also short and light weight. Perfect for old guys. The top eject is tricky for sights. I want to swap to a peep sight. The scope up close is hurting me and this scope would be too high. I really want the 3 dot peep sight system with the neon for low light. The black iron will be a struggle for my eyes early and late in the day.

What do yall use for sights on your 30-30?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 16683469840262239350812888771228.jpg
    16683469840262239350812888771228.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 39

Kev

My friend shot a big buck with his .270 at 15 yards. He was all upset saying he missed. There wasn’t a speck of blood to be seen. Later that afternoon a friend showed up with a decent dog. The dog went straight to the deer that was dead 98 yards away. The shot placement was nearly perfect.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fast bullets expand more than slow ones regardless of the wives tales that's been going around for years.

Physics doesn't change in the deer woods.
And heavy bullets hit harder than light ones. I have shot a traincarload of deer over the years with all kinds of weapons. I have absolutely no use for light, fast bullets nowadays. I go by results I can see, not charts on paper. According to paper, a .222 Swift ought to be a better hunting round than a .45/70.

furtaker

And heavy bullets hit harder than light ones. I have shot a traincarload of deer over the years with all kinds of weapons. I have absolutely no use for light, fast bullets nowadays. I go by results I can see, not charts on paper. According to paper, a .222 Swift ought to be a better hunting round than a .45/70.
Yeah I don't know why the PHs is Africa don't use the 22-250 for stopping charges from the Big Five. :bounce:

Gator89

Yeah I don't know why the PHs is Africa don't use the 22-250 for stopping charges from the Big Five. :bounce:

And a 458 Win Mag slams a buff harder than a 45:70.

Mass x Velocity = Momentum

Mass x Velocity (squared) = Energy (kinetic)

Bob2010

My friend shot a big buck with his .270 at 15 yards. He was all upset saying he missed. There wasn’t a speck of blood to be seen. Later that afternoon a friend showed up with a decent dog. The dog went straight to the deer that was dead 98 yards away. The shot placement was nearly perfect.
I may get a dog there today. See if I can recover the deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

And a 458 Win Mag slams a buff harder than a 45:70.

Mass x Velocity = Momentum

Mass x Velocity (squared) = Energy (kinetic)
Yes. Too many people forget the mass part of that equation. I think the mass is more important than the speed. I would rather be hit by a skeeter traveling 2000 fps than a boulder traveling 10 fps any day.

Lilly001

Large, heavy and relatively slow moving bullets seem to stop game better than the faster, lighter ones.
Sometimes physics doesn’t totally explain what happens when a bullet hits game.
But the OP’s 270 with 130 grainers should be entirely adequate for any well hit Ga deer.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The caliber, the gun, the shot placement the deer and how it was facing and all that stuff goes into play. @Bob2010 , that gun you used was plenty! If it weren’t, you’d have not used it in the first place! I hope you find your deer! And if you don’t, I just hope you get back up and pull the trigger sooner than not!
That 30/30 is sweet and I have no scope advice for a top ejection setup, but I’d bet you could use hard sites on it and kill a deer! Have fun putting a scope on it and keep enjoying your time in the woods !

Bob2010

The caliber, the gun, the shot placement the deer and how it was facing and all that stuff goes into play. @Bob2010 , that gun you used was plenty! If it weren’t, you’d have not used it in the first place! I hope you find your deer! And if you don’t, I just hope you get back up and pull the trigger sooner than not!
That 30/30 is sweet and I have no scope advice for a top ejection setup, but I’d bet you could use hard sites on it and kill a deer! Have fun putting a scope on it and keep enjoying your time in the woods !
Thank you sir

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Get your vision situation fixed and the rest will work itself out.
I can hit a clay pigeon at 100 yards with my old iron sighted 94.
It's because I can see it that far, not that the gun is better.

Pruitt1

Sorry bout your lost deer. Pretty sure a .270 130gr wasn't the problem. I've shot a boat load with that round all hand loads from nosler partition to the nosler ballistic tips. Some left blood sum didnt if I did my part the bullet done what it was loaded to do. Don't give up on the .270 get a dog to double check.

steveus

I reload .270 Win. and load for a velocity of 2800, Win. Power Points. All you need for any Whitetail. Will also say to Bob that I got out my old Win. 94 .30-30 a few years ago from retirement just because, and replaced the front bead sight with a Williams Fire Sight fiber optic bead, same small size (don't remember what size but the same as the original) and it made all the difference for my 70-year-old eyes. May want to try this.
Thanks for the story.

Bob2010

Yes. Too many people forget the mass part of that equation. I think the mass is more important than the speed. I would rather be hit by a skeeter traveling 2000 fps than a boulder traveling 10 fps any day.
Agreed. However I have had many ballistic tips make no exit with a .243. Also a few other .270 hits up close with very little blood. That can mean I hit high and blood has too reach that height. Could be a gut shot with no expansion? The 30 30 always leaves a hole and it also has some shock upon impact.