Well. It happened. I'm old! Beloved .270 will neeed adjustment and I am breaking out the 30-30.

Bob2010

What does any of this even mean? Had your "adjustment dialed out for longer range"? "Resulted in a shot that hit 4" and 3" left"?

If you didn't recover the animal, how do you know where it hit?

I've shot quie a few deer, all well under 100yds and all with either a .243 or .270. In the .270's, I have 3 currently, I shoot either 130 or 150gr soft point, have never shot a BT, and in the .243 I shoot 80gr Core-Lokt. In every case except one all of them were either DRT or ran a maximum of 75ish yds in a straight line. The one exception to this I made a bad shot resulting in a high, back shot placement. With the aid of a tracking dog I was still able to recover the animal several hundred yds later. With .243 I have yet to get a pass through so I have never had a blood trail, and had no need. Simply went to where it was when I shot, walked in the direction it ran, if it did and I did not actually see it fall, and within 100yds I've recovered every one.

3 of these 4 rifles are topped with various 3x9 scopes that are kept on 4x when hunting unless I want to see something further out and that's all I need for anything out to 100yds, and is great for anything under 50, no adjustment necessary.

As for the "4" high 3" left", if you were aiming for center of vital, that's still a fatal wound, and fairly quickly I would think, and if you did in fact somehow figure out that's what you missed on an animal you say you didn't/couldn't recover, that is an extremely poor shot on a stationary target at 20yds even for a "rushed" shot IMHO.

Best case scenario, you clean missed this animal. Worst case, you made a really poor shot and merely wounded it. Whether that wound was ultimately fatal? Who knows. Fact is, the problem was YOU not the round IMHO. YOU made a poor shot, for whatever combination of reasons, that resulted at best in a clean miss, or at worst a wounded animal that traveled further than you are/were able to recover. OWN IT!!!!! It's happened to all of us at one time or another.

The blame lies entirely with you. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by blaming the round. Deal with it and move on or quit hunting if you can't.
Ok. So we can't talk about slugs, 30/30s, or bullets??? Of course it's my fault the deer was lost or missed. Never denied that. Just getting old and figuring things out. That's all.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ok. So we can't talk about slugs, 30/30s, or bullets??? Of course it's my fault the deer was lost or missed. Never denied that. Just getting old and figuring things out. That's all.
One issue I had a few years ago was shooting iron sights while wearing my eye glasses. I can see really good up close, but I need glasses to read the road name signs. As you can imagine the iron sights were fuzzy looking through my glasses. Took me a few trips to figure out I need bifocals just for shooting. Before I did anything drastic I’d visit the reloading forum and get some tips on ammo for your 270. Those boys will get you narrowed down to what you need in your situation.

Bob2010

One issue I had a few years ago was shooting iron sights while wearing my eye glasses. I can see really good up close, but I need glasses to read the road name signs. As you can imagine the iron sights were fuzzy looking through my glasses. Took me a few trips to figure out I need bifocals just for shooting. Before I did anything drastic I’d visit the reloading forum and get some tips on ammo for your 270. Those boys will get you narrowed down to what you need in your situation.
Thanks. My new glasses keep fogging up. Lol! Rain is worse. Then my new fiber optic front sight is great up close. At 90 yards the front half of the deer is a big red ball. Lol! I'm learning though.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Thanks. My new glasses keep fogging up. Lol! Rain is worse. Then my new fiber optic front sight is great up close. At 90 yards the front half of the deer is a big red ball. Lol! I'm learning though.
I’m getting to a point to where I’m considering scopes on everything. I can’t deal with bifocals. They mess with me equilibrium - plus, fog up as you mentioned.

Bob2010

Well someone suggested I get ballistic gel so I can learn what bullets do. That was a good recommendation. However, I don't have time for that during deer season. I want to hunt!

So instead I sighted my .270 to make sure it's right. I shot steel plates with the 130 grain bullets. Then I swapped to the 150 grain rounds. They shoot relatively the same until you get to 350 to 400 yards. The 150 drops more at long range. Up to 300 yards they shot the same.

At 20 yards the 130 grain punched through the 3/4" steel plate. The interesting part is the steel pushed towards me upon impact. Someone on the forum told me the bullet itself melts upon impact. So I assume half the bullet stayed on the impact side of the steel. The rest of the bullet made the hole and layered on the backside. Probably very little of the bullet continued after the target.

So I went ahead and shot a deer with the .270 and a 150 grain bullet at 60 yards. Way better experience! The hit actually blew a plate sized blood splatter on the impact side. The impact made force that came back imediatly towards me. Like a balloon full of paint on the impact side. You could see the blood pouring as it ran. The exit hole was the size of a quarter. Deer went 15 yards and died. The blood trail was insane! However, the blood really poured mostly from the impact side. Not as much on the exit side. So there is truth to the impact and expansion occurring as the bullet strikes.

I do still wonder if a smaller 130 grain round at close range can scream through soft tissue areas without expanding? Or it expands very little? Still kills the deer. But a bigger buck will cover some ground before it dies. Maybe not?

Seems to me the 150 grain is best up to 200 yards and 130 grain is better for longer shots when accuracy and slower bullet speed makes it hit a little harder. I don't know? All I can do is share my experience. That 150 grain did an amazing job and damaged very little meat. Incredibly lethal and left a blood trail that was easy to follow. Both rounds are federal.

Attachments

• 20221202_091602.jpg
    20221202_091602.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221202_091459.jpg
    20221202_091459.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221202_091354.jpg
    20221202_091354.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 12

Bob2010

Now let's move onto the old 30-30 top eject winchester. The peep sight I ordered didn't fit. That's OK. The front fire sight did. With a hammer and brass punch I got it hitting decent. The front site is hard to use out past 50 yards. Big red ball!

Of course the only shot that presented itself was at 90 yards. The ballistic experience and need for meat influenced my decision to harvest. The 30-30 is also a 150 grain bullet. A much slower moving 150 grain.

Photo 1 entrance
Photo 2 exit
Photo 3 exit
Photo 4 entrance

The entrance and exit were both larger than the 270. The entrance had a bunch of shock and blood shot. Way more than the exit. So it is true that the impact side takes the force and expansion. Also most the blood loss. Fortunately there was very little lost meat. The Iron sights are a lot of fun to hunt with. The deer jumped and kicked when the bullet hit. Made it about 15 yard.

The photos are gory. But for comparison of 2 bullets that are both 150 grain. The 30-30 definitely created more shock and knock down than the 270. Both are effective and deadly in the 150 grain size. The 130 grain .270 rounds are better for me at long distance like 300 plus yards. The 30-30 for me is good up to 70 yards.

Attachments

• 20221203_113941.jpg
    20221203_113941.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221203_113949.jpg
    20221203_113949.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221203_115853.jpg
    20221203_115853.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221203_115859.jpg
    20221203_115859.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 7

Glynr

I had the opposite effect.i use to hunt power lines.i shot 2 different bucks still haven't found 1 of them. The other I found 2 weeks latter never bleed a drop of blood. The other ran down the hill 20 yards hit the ground blood where he fell everywhere. After a few minutes maybe 5 jumped up last time I seen him. Anyway that was the last time the 270 went with me hunting. I always used the best bullets for long range you could buy. I lost confidence hunted to hard for big bucks to run off. Maybe I should have changed bullets but you have to have confidence. Bought 7 mag and love it. Oh also bought 270 short mag love it. I am not saying anything bad about 270 don't get me wrong one of the best guns ever made if I thought that I would never had got the 270 short mag. Mine was just bad luck.

BriarPatch99

20 yards the 130 grain punched through the 3/4" steel plate. The interesting part is the steel pushed towards me upon impact. Someone on the forum told me the bullet itself melts upon impact. So I assume half the bullet stayed on the impact side of the steel. The rest of the bullet made the hole and layered on the backside. Probably very little of the bullet continued after the target.

I think you misread what I wrote ... reread it again ...

Cliff Note ... the sudden slowing of the momentum of the bullet is converted into heat( think heat that brakes on a rotor make) ... that heat along with the momentum that is not converted to heat punches through the plate which semi liquid(I should have added semi first post) ... go look at some slow motion rain drops on still water ...looks exactly like the metal plate splatter and it is not bullet material... it is steel...

Bob2010

I think you misread what I wrote ... reread it again ...

Cliff Note ... the sudden slowing of the momentum of the bullet is converted into heat( think heat that brakes on a rotor make) ... that heat along with the momentum that is not converted to heat punches through the plate which semi liquid(I should have added semi first post) ... go look at some slow motion rain drops on still water ...looks exactly like the metal plate splatter and it is not bullet material... it is steel...
Fascinating! These deer the impact side took the most damage. Noticing the immediate blood loss on the impact side so fast was interesting. I just never took notice of that before. The 30 30 round hit when raining. Water actually came off of impact side like a cloud of mist. Gory details but the bullet behavior is Fascinating. The meat being good too is a major plus. I bet in the old days no one ventured outside of the 30 30. It's about perfect at under 100 yards.