Well. It happened. I'm old! Beloved .270 will neeed adjustment and I am breaking out the 30-30.

Bob2010

Sorry about your lost deer. The 30-30 will do just fine--I dropped my first buck in his tracks at about 40-yards with a 180-grain Partition handload--But I also think you can do the same just fine with a different bullet selection in your 270...
Tired of trying to look through a scope at 20 yards too. Had my adjustment dialed out for longer range. Had to pull eyes off the target and dial my scope back. This resulted in a rushed shot that hit 4" high and 3" left. Still a kill. Unfortunately a slow kill.

Bob2010

Go to the Game Warden and have him approach the neighbors. They would probably allow him to go in and search for your deer. I’ve seen that angle of attack solve the issue many times.
Exactly. No blood! It's not worth forcing that with no blood.

Bob2010

So here is my thoughts after working out my .270 kinks. The facts.

1. This 1/2 " thick Steele plate was shot at 20 yards with the same federal rounds I shot the deer with. Clean pass through smaller than a pencil eraser. Rounds at 70 plus yards expanded and did not pass through the plate. I am convinced that the 130 grain rounds at 20 yards scream through game without expanding. Assuming that you don't hit bone or fluid in the gut sack. Still deadly rounds. They just allow for more running and less blood to drop. Especially if the buck is mature and running down a mountain side. Also if it's hit high.

2. The rifle was hitting 3" high and 2" left at 50 yards. But I rushed the shot to deal with my scope. My scope was zoomed in for a longer shot. By the time I adjusted it my shot was rushed. I could of pulled the shot and hit 6" high and 4" left. Thus allowing for more running time.

3. The rifle scope has been adjusted. We are deadly at up to 400 yards currently. Although I will limit myself to 200 for now. My track record has dropped off recently.

4. I got my new glasses. They help!

5. I bought Williams sights for my 30/30. The peep sight won't attach. I don't want to drill it. The fire front sight is great. I stuck with my standard rear sight. It's perfect for up to 70 to 100 yards. Although the big red ball at the end of my gun makes perfect placement almost impossible. But I am well within a tennis ball size grouping. Should do the trick! And No need to worry with a scope. Fast and effective.

6. Ballistics say there is very little difference in a 130 grain and 150 grain round. At 400 yards there was a substantial difference in drop.

7. I could of hit a cedar top and the bullet deflected. I need to check.

Some of the bullet facts on paper do not match in reality. Atleast not in every circumstance. I'm sure they are a good rule of thumb that applies to 90% of most situations. But no shot at game is ever the exact same. There is always some variable to consider. For me personally, if I have confidence the 30/30 will put blood on the ground and provide more knock down power. Chances are it will. My confidence will lead to a more effective kill shot. I love my .270. Just not for short range shooting. The scope alone is annoying me in the Oak trees. She needs a little more room to roam than 50 yards.

Attachments

• 20221122_164042.jpg
    20221122_164042.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221122_165336.jpg
    20221122_165336.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 33

godogs57

A steel plate at 20 is 180 degrees different than flesh and bone at 20……

The steel plate could have actually CLOSED the point or exposed lead tip on the bullet, aiding a pass through. The bullet is not your problem here.

BriarPatch99

Clean pass through smaller than a pencil eraser. Rounds at 70 plus yards expanded and did not pass through the plate. I am convinced that the 130 grain rounds at 20 yards scream through game without expanding.

This is because the momentum energy is transformed into heat ...the steel is converted into a liquid from the heat created ....

While there Is heat generated when a bullet strikes flesh ....it does not act as steel does ....

You can't compare apples to oranges ...

Again bullets do NOT travel too fast to expand...

You should watch some high speed photography of what happens when a bullet hits a plate..

You should also look very closely at that plate hole ...you will see the evidence that the steel was liquid by the rain drop type splatter of the steel is on the front of the plate ....not on the back ..

Last edited:

basshappy

BANNED
@Bob2010 I _think_ you figured it out - poor shot placement resulted in your lost deer. Had your shot been on then your deer would have likely passed on your land. For whatever reason or reasons your shot was off and well you lived the outcome.

The caliber and the bullet were fine. On a properly executed shot. Don't hang up that instrument yet - spend some time training with it to get that comfy feeling. Then harvest your deer.

Bob2010

This is because the momentum energy is transformed into heat ...the steel is converted into a liquid from the heat created ....

While there Is heat generated when a bullet strikes flesh ....it does not act as steel does ....

You can't compare apples to oranges ...

Again bullets do NOT travel too fast to expand...

You should watch some high speed photography of what happens when a bullet hits a plate..

You should also look very closely at that plate hole ...you will see the evidence that the steel was liquid by the rain drop type splatter of the steel is on the front of the plate ....not on the back ..
That's true about the steel on the front of the plate.

Bob2010

@Bob2010 I _think_ you figured it out - poor shot placement resulted in your lost deer. Had your shot been on then your deer would have likely passed on your land. For whatever reason or reasons your shot was off and well you lived the outcome.

The caliber and the bullet were fine. On a properly executed shot. Don't hang up that instrument yet - spend some time training with it to get that comfy feeling. Then harvest your deer.
All true. Except I believe the deer is dead. Even if not a drop of blood was found in the first 40 yards. That is unless the bullet deflected. I could of recovered this deer with blood on the ground. I still don't like a fast moving tiny round at close ranges. Not quitting my .270 completely.Jjust no more close hunts with it. I want some knock down and a exit hole. Preferably without a ballistic tip that destroys meat. My .270 and .243 are awesome guns. Just not great for real close shooting.

buckpasser

All true. Except I believe the deer is dead. Even if not a drop of blood was found in the first 40 yards. That is unless the bullet deflected. I could of recovered this deer with blood on the ground. I still don't like a fast moving tiny round at close ranges. Not quitting my .270 completely.Jjust no more close hunts with it. I want some knock down and a exit hole. Preferably without a ballistic tip that destroys meat. My .270 and .243 are awesome guns. Just not great for real close shooting.

You just won’t be convinced about the “too close” thing being false, will you?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I may get a dog there today. See if I can recover the deer.
Hopefully you’ll be able to find him. Good luck with it. It’s tough losing one.

Gator89

Hunting with dogs, I have killed deer as close as 10 yards with my 270, bang flop.

I shoot 140 grain bonded, tipped bullets.

Not all tipped bullets fragment upon impact.

But I do have a creek bottom rifle for shorter range shots, a 7.62x39 bolt action carbine shooting 123 grain tipped SST's.

Last edited:

transfixer

At some point in their hunting life everyone has likely rushed a shot, one that on second thought they shouldn't have taken, I've done it, others have, I've lost an animal to a rushed shot in the past, and it bothered me for quite a while, all we can do is learn from it and try to make sure it doesn't happen again,

Caliber isn't nearly as important as shot placement , that's what its all about, I've taken more deer with a 87gr .243 bthp than any other caliber I own, and 99% of the time they don't take a single step when hit, but its where I put the round, not what round I use.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Store bought ammo for my 270 when I first bought it was the Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt.

Reloads are 140 gr Sierra HPBT.

I’ve got mine zeroed in with the 140 gr.

My longest shot with this gun using the 150 gr was 265 yards. Deer ran maybe 40 feet. My closest shot was 40 yards, dirt nap right there.

My longest shot with the 140 gr was 290 yards. 8 or 10 steps and the hind quarter wobble started. My closest shot was 10 yards, dirt nap instantly.

The 270 is more than capable of killing close range.

Overall, I absolutely love the 140 gr with the Sierra HPBT bullet. I also load the 30/06 using Sierra bullets. Deadly accurate.

Bob2010

At some point in their hunting life everyone has likely rushed a shot, one that on second thought they shouldn't have taken, I've done it, others have, I've lost an animal to a rushed shot in the past, and it bothered me for quite a while, all we can do is learn from it and try to make sure it doesn't happen again,

Caliber isn't nearly as important as shot placement , that's what its all about, I've taken more deer with a 87gr .243 bthp than any other caliber I own, and 99% of the time they don't take a single step when hit, but its where I put the round, not what round I use.
I was rushed. But the shot was on the paper plate! I honestly was confused why the deer didn't drop. 35 years at a 3 deer a year average is over 100 deer killed. More than half with this .270. It could of deflected. I thought my scope must of been hit and was way off. It wasn't. Definitely not my best shot. But I was on the kill zone. Steep mountain terrain across from me. I am convinced deer made it 100 to 200 yards and died. Although if I was too high and too left it would of hit neck or spine. Unless there is a sweet spot up there a bullet can pass through without hitting vitals. Anything is possible. I have taken shots that I shouldn't have in the past. Primarily with my muzzle loader. This was a clean kill shot opportunity at 20 yards. It just went wrong.

Bob2010

Store bought ammo for my 270 when I first bought it was the Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt.

Reloads are 140 gr Sierra HPBT.

I’ve got mine zeroed in with the 140 gr.

My longest shot with this gun using the 150 gr was 265 yards. Deer ran maybe 40 feet. My closest shot was 40 yards, dirt nap right there.

My longest shot with the 140 gr was 290 yards. 8 or 10 steps and the hind quarter wobble started. My closest shot was 10 yards, dirt nap instantly.

The 270 is more than capable of killing close range.

Overall, I absolutely love the 140 gr with the Sierra HPBT bullet. I also load the 30/06 using Sierra bullets. Deadly accurate.
Love a larger grain .270 round at 40 yards to 300 yards myself. My best and favorite deer rifle. 130 grain at 20 yards Is no good for me. Be fine if I had plenty of room to track. Not good for property line areas with short shots.

Bob2010

Blaming everything except the obvious…
Unfortunately. I have shot so many with a .243 that ran 50 yards with no blood. Mostly ballistic tips. Hate them! Swapped back to solid led tips. They work great! Until you have no room to track and a deer is 20 yards out and your scope is dialed in at 100 yards. Just not effective. We carry slugs for bear and rounds with knock down for a reason. A 30/30 round will hit harder at 20 yards than a fast moving 130 grain 270 will. It will definitely open up a larger exit too for blood drop. I'm not giving up on my .270. I love it. Just not at 20 to 30 yards.

Latest posts