Well. It happened. I'm old! Beloved .270 will neeed adjustment and I am breaking out the 30-30.

Bob2010

I think if you hit a deer high at 20 yards with a .270 he would have dropped or at least stumbled.
He did stumble. That's what I am saying. I thought the deer was down right there 5 steps into the clear cut. He wasn't. Spent 4 hours in a 1 acre area of cut over looking under every pile. Couldn't believe he was gone.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Love a larger grain .270 round at 40 yards to 300 yards myself. My best and favorite deer rifle. 130 grain at 20 yards Is no good for me. Be fine if I had plenty of room to track. Not good for property line areas with short shots.
Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of weight you gotta be happy with the outcome.

I tell you for short range, it don’t get much funner than slug hunting with a shot gun. Keep that option open.

godogs57

Unfortunately. I have shot so many with a .243 that ran 50 yards with no blood. Mostly ballistic tips. Hate them! Swapped back to solid led tips. They work great! Until you have no room to track and a deer is 20 yards out and your scope is dialed in at 100 yards. Just not effective. We carry slugs for bear and rounds with knock down for a reason. A 30/30 round will hit harder at 20 yards than a fast moving 130 grain 270 will. It will definitely open up a larger exit too for blood drop. I'm not giving up on my .270. I love it. Just not at 20 to 30 yards.
Each Ballistic Tip model has undergone several “upgrades” since they were introduced in the early 80’s. Some one or two changes, others seven, eight or nine. Generally, each change resulted in a somewhat tougher construction. The 7 mm 120 grain is tough as nails, as it was designed for metallic silhouette shooting at long ranges.

There is nothing wrong with a BT. I’ve used them for legal culling of does for years connected with my job. Meticulous records are kept of each shot, caliber, shot distance, bullet used, shot distance, etc. I won’t bothering you with numbers because it’s private information and you wouldn’t believe it if I told you anyway. I had exactly zero bullet failures with ballistic tips myself but witnessed exactly one with another marksman. Just one.

Your observation with the 30/30 is dead on. It’s not because of the lead tip, per se, but rather the large frontal diameter of the bullet itself. The round tip, combined with larger diameter would give you the results you noticed. That’s a great observation you had. It’s not hitting “harder” (more energy)….just more effective at that range for you. Take it a step further and try a 45/70 and see what happens. You’ll fall in love.

Bob2010

Each Ballistic Tip model has undergone several “upgrades” since they were introduced in the early 80’s. Some one or two changes, others seven, eight or nine. Generally, each change resulted in a somewhat tougher construction. The 7 mm 120 grain is tough as nails, as it was designed for metallic silhouette shooting at long ranges.

There is nothing wrong with a BT. I’ve used them for legal culling of does for years connected with my job. Meticulous records are kept of each shot, caliber, shot distance, bullet used, shot distance, etc. I won’t bothering you with numbers because it’s private information and you wouldn’t believe it if I told you anyway. I had exactly zero bullet failures with ballistic tips myself but witnessed exactly one with another marksman. Just one.

Your observation with the 30/30 is dead on. It’s not because of the lead tip, per se, but rather the large frontal diameter of the bullet itself. The round tip, combined with larger diameter would give you the results you noticed. That’s a great observation you had. It’s not hitting “harder” (more energy)….just more effective at that range for you. Take it a step further and try a 45/70 and see what happens. You’ll fall in love.
I actually would believe you. You are meticulous in your details. I would say you know much more than I do. That makes since about the diameter of the round. All I have to go on is my experience. BT are deadly! Man they can trash some meat. Also in a nasty cut over there is hardly ever a blood trail. Solid led rounds don't trash meat typically. I can't believe what guns cost these days. I'll stick with the 30-30 to save a few dollars. I need 3 or 4 for the freezer these days. A nice buck is always fun. But I would be just as upset about a lost doe. 270 will still hunt the clear cut and long shots. Thanks

Bob2010

Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of weight you gotta be happy with the outcome.

I tell you for short range, it don’t get much funner than slug hunting with a shot gun. Keep that option open.
Thinking about that. What range do you get? up to 100 yards or more like 50? 20 or 12 gauge?

basshappy

BANNED
@Bob2010 I only shoot within 25 yards thus far as I prefer to get as close as I can to my target so I don't know about long range terminal ballistics and the deer. But up close and personal the .243 zips right through the boiler room in one side and out the other, but blood comes quickly for a trail to follow.

I also prefer head shots if available so that the animal suffers least and recovery is right there. If you are close to property line and comfortable with your instrument and skills this might be the shot to keep the deer on your property.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Thinking about that. What range do you get? up to 100 yards or more like 50? 20 or 12 gauge?
Id stick to a max of 75 yards on a12 gauge slug. I’ve done a 90 yard shot one time and it did the job just fine. I’ve heard stories of 100 yards but I’ve never tried it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I have a Henry 45/70 and love it!!!! To me it’s just as fun as slug gun hunting. I’m 13 dead and 0 losses from 30 yards to 75 yards.

I also have a 357 Henry and shooting Federal 158 gr Hydra Shock. I’m 9 dead and 0 losses from 20 yards to 140 yards with it. And of course the Henry 30-30. Don’t know how many I’ve killed with it.

First pic is 357. Second pic is 45/70.9A943A4D-CC9C-47A1-A598-EEF738FAEF67.jpegB55B080C-3C27-4A56-8A04-D84F82A7B315.jpeg

Bob2010

Id stick to a max of 75 yards on a12 gauge slug. I’ve done a 90 yard shot one time and it did the job just fine. I’ve heard stories of 100 yards but I’ve never tried it.
Thanks. Forgive me. I know nothing about slugs. It's not a full choke barrel correct? You have to buy a slug barrel right? Is it rifled? Spiral inside?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Thanks. Forgive me. I know nothing about slugs. It's not a full choke barrel correct? You have to buy a slug barrel right? Is it rifled? Spiral inside?
I have a model 50 bolt action 12 gauge full choke that’s smooth bore thst I slug hunt with. In a smooth bore barrel and I know it sounds backwards but you shoot a rifled slug. Older gun. The rifling will be in the slug since the barrel is smooth bore.

Newer is most likely going to be a rifled barrel. If you have a rifled barrel you’ll shoot sabot slugs.

In either case, don’t shoot with a screw in choke.

Bob2010

I have a model 50 bolt action 12 gauge full choke that’s smooth bore thst I slug hunt with. In a smooth bore barrel and I know it sounds backwards but you shoot a rifled slug. Older gun. The rifling will be in the slug since the barrel is smooth bore.

Newer is most likely going to be a rifled barrel. If you have a rifled barrel you’ll shoot sabot slugs.

Got it. Thanks

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !

You can still use screw-in chokes as long as they're not tighter than full (preferably IC or M), though, right?

'Cause that's what I've been doing on a limited basis, though you've certainly been shooting slugs longer than me...

Hillbilly stalker

They make screw in slug chokes that are rifled...therefore letting you shoot sabot slugs which are much more accurate than a Foster slug A.K.A "Punkin ball". Carlson and a few others make them.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
This things gonna make it 100 post because the op didn't check his set up before he shot at a deer because he's killed over 100 deer with it in the past but hasn't ever bothered to check zero.

You missed.
Get over it and check your stuff. It's as simple as that

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You can still use screw-in chokes as long as they're not tighter than full (preferably IC or M), though, right?

'Cause that's what I've been doing on a limited basis, though you've certainly been shooting slugs longer than me...
Yes, you’re correct. I didn’t answer that exactly right in the other post.

basshappy

BANNED
This things gonna make it 100 post because the op didn't check his set up before he shot at a deer because he's killed over 100 deer with it in the past but hasn't ever bothered to check zero.

You missed.
Get over it and check your stuff. It's as simple as that

Ouch. But true. I mean nothing wrong with being direct but that's gotta sting a little.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Tired of trying to look through a scope at 20 yards too. Had my adjustment dialed out for longer range. Had to pull eyes off the target and dial my scope back. This resulted in a rushed shot that hit 4" high and 3" left. Still a kill. Unfortunately a slow kill.
What does any of this even mean? Had your "adjustment dialed out for longer range"? "Resulted in a shot that hit 4" and 3" left"?

If you didn't recover the animal, how do you know where it hit?

I've shot quie a few deer, all well under 100yds and all with either a .243 or .270. In the .270's, I have 3 currently, I shoot either 130 or 150gr soft point, have never shot a BT, and in the .243 I shoot 80gr Core-Lokt. In every case except one all of them were either DRT or ran a maximum of 75ish yds in a straight line. The one exception to this I made a bad shot resulting in a high, back shot placement. With the aid of a tracking dog I was still able to recover the animal several hundred yds later. With .243 I have yet to get a pass through so I have never had a blood trail, and had no need. Simply went to where it was when I shot, walked in the direction it ran, if it did and I did not actually see it fall, and within 100yds I've recovered every one.

3 of these 4 rifles are topped with various 3x9 scopes that are kept on 4x when hunting unless I want to see something further out and that's all I need for anything out to 100yds, and is great for anything under 50, no adjustment necessary.

As for the "4" high 3" left", if you were aiming for center of vital, that's still a fatal wound, and fairly quickly I would think, and if you did in fact somehow figure out that's what you missed on an animal you say you didn't/couldn't recover, that is an extremely poor shot on a stationary target at 20yds even for a "rushed" shot IMHO.

Best case scenario, you clean missed this animal. Worst case, you made a really poor shot and merely wounded it. Whether that wound was ultimately fatal? Who knows. Fact is, the problem was YOU not the round IMHO. YOU made a poor shot, for whatever combination of reasons, that resulted at best in a clean miss, or at worst a wounded animal that traveled further than you are/were able to recover. OWN IT!!!!! It's happened to all of us at one time or another.

The blame lies entirely with you. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by blaming the round. Deal with it and move on or quit hunting if you can't.

basshappy

BANNED
Gone back through all these posts. I think either OP missed the deer completely and the stumble was a reaction in the flight response or the OP hit the deer high in the body/neck above spine and was a skin graze or superficial wound.

Either one, the OP also stated rushed shots in the past, something about needing new glasses, something about the scope being zeroed for 100 yards but target was at 20 yards. A lot of ingredients for a bad soup.

Hopefully some range time with instrument, scope and projectiles is coming.