West Point Bass Fishing

flipman

Hello everyone. Haven’t been bass fishing at West Point in about 20 years. Would like to go in the next several weeks and try and catch some spotted and large mouth bass or some hybrid bass. Not asking for anyone’s honey holes, but some locations and baits to use that I could catch some fish. Thanks for everyone’s input.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
A friend of mine fishes it pretty regular . They had a benefit tournament last weekend and he said many limits of spots .
About 15 pounds won it , big fish 7 pounds . He said he got on a good bike near yellow jacket park and caught probably 20 on one rocky point. Didn’t ask but he fishes a shaky head a lot or small Carolina rigged lizards . Good luck and make sure you release the spots in some grease .

flipman

A friend of mine fishes it pretty regular . They had a benefit tournament last weekend and he said many limits of spots .
About 15 pounds won it , big fish 7 pounds . He said he got on a good bike near yellow jacket park and caught probably 20 on one rocky point. Didn’t ask but he fishes a shaky head a lot or small Carolina rigged lizards . Good luck and make sure you release the spots in some grease .
Thank you for the info. I have heard the spots are good tasting and most people say they don’t want them in the lake. I love fish, I like to cook it multiple ways, love some fish tacos.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Thank you for the info. I have heard the spots are good tasting and most people say they don’t want them in the lake. I love fish, I like to cook it multiple ways, love some fish tacos.
Be sure to put a few pics of the tacos in the Cafe!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
October is by far my favorite month for largemouth. The keyword is SHALLOW! I’ve been out a few days this week and if your trolling motor isn’t all the way up, kicking mud, then you are too deep. The fish are keyed in on shad in the backs of creeks and pockets, or even mud flats up the river. They really aren’t on cover, but don’t overlook a random piece if you see some.

75% of my fishing is topwater. A buzzbait and a walking style are always my first two choices this month. I’ll keep those honest with a small square bill, spinner bait, a finesse jig and trailer, and a jerk bait. If you like, a big gizzard glide bait or swimbait can also be deadly.

October is probably the toughest month for hybrids and smaller stripers. They roam big time looking for shad and can be hard to pin down. The area from Wolf Creek down to the railroad bridge is one of the more consistent stretches. There has been some schooling going on early and late if you want to ride and look.

flipman

October is by far my favorite month for largemouth. The keyword is SHALLOW! I’ve been out a few days this week and if your trolling motor isn’t all the way up, kicking mud, then you are too deep. The fish are keyed in on shad in the backs of creeks and pockets, or even mud flats up the river. They really aren’t on cover, but don’t overlook a random piece if you see some.

75% of my fishing is topwater. A buzzbait and a walking style are always my first two choices this month. I’ll keep those honest with a small square bill, spinner bait, a finesse jig and trailer, and a jerk bait. If you like, a big gizzard glide bait or swimbait can also be deadly.

October is probably the toughest month for hybrids and smaller stripers. They roam big time looking for shad and can be hard to pin down. The area from Wolf Creek down to the railroad bridge is one of the more consistent stretches. There has been some schooling going on early and late if you want to ride and look.
Thanks Dustin, I will probably concentrate on the spots or large mouth. Seems as you would fish the same baits for both species. Primarily looking to try and catch several fish as I’m trying to get back into fishing and West Point is a fair drive from where I am located.

Latest posts