West Virginia Bow Only counties

Im looking for any information about deer hunting West Virginia bow only counties. Is there much public land in those counties. Is it worth the trip? Is it mountainous? Whats the deer population like?. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

HCdawg

Seen a few good ones riding the Hatfield and mccoy trails and the outlaw trails. I couldn't tell you about any of the public land. Very mountainous where we were at on the Virginia, west Virginia line.

Hillbilly stalker

Is there much public land worth hunting in that area?
You best check out WV DNR website for the most recent ones. It’s been awhile since I lived or hunted there. But it is absolutely no joke about the steepness of those mountains. I’ve hunted McDowell, Mingo, Logan and around Chief Cornstalk WMA, if your a flat lander it sill be rough on you. Check with @WOODIE13 on here, he will have more updated locations. Logan and Mingo often have the biggest deer in the state, it’s been bow only since about 1979.

I grew up in West Virginia ! Usually hunted mineral county near what they call the pinnacle, it’s high and treacherous lands but well worth the hike and adventure. Also another great spot is what they call dolly sods a little more west of mineral county in grant/ Randolph/ and tucker county. In the monongahela National forest. Awesome hunting. And truly amazing views and worth the trip even if you don’t get anything..!

wildcats

Born and raised in Logan. Hunt there every year. Dad still lives there so I hunt there several times through season. Logan has 1 "public" hunting area that is adjacent to the park. It's very small and hunted by a few locals. Heavily monitored by DNR ....
Most of the land in Logan is private or leased via Lyme Mountaineer Timber.
Secret is getting out on the bucks in the area and leases get picked up quickly. The other counties are very similar set up. Terrain is steep.
During rifle season we always went to Canaan Valley area, northern part of state, drug out many from Dolly Sods. Very steep and very very limited access for atv's. Most all public hunting doesn't allow atv's.
Grew up hunting those hills so hunting steep terrain is juts normal to me. We always called it "busting a lung" when dragging one out. I have set up more than once almost dreading taking one because of "if they run that way" gonna be a looong day getting him out.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Up north 5 seasons a day, no lie.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It’s also the highest elevation east of the Mississippi, probably where that comes from. It’s a beautiful but tuff place.
Nope, not by any stretch of the imagination, or even remotely close. Highest elevation at Dolly Sods is 4700'. Lots of people have houses and live a lot higher than that here in western NC. There are 16 peaks over 6,000' just in my county alone. My county has the highest average elevation of any county east of the Mississippi, but the highest elevation east of the Mississippi is Mt. Mitchell in Yancy County, NC, which is just short of 7,000'. There are many more peaks here only a few feet shorter. New Hampshire also has one mountain over 6,000', and Tennessee has several. Thousands of mountains higher than 4,700' in the Appalachians.

WOODIE13

One thing about the dolly sods is the wind blows so hard that most of the trees have limbs growing only on one side

Hillbilly stalker

Nope, not by any stretch of the imagination, or even remotely close. Highest elevation at Dolly Sods is 4700'. Lots of people have houses and live a lot higher than that here in western NC. There are 16 peaks over 6,000' just in my county alone. My county has the highest average elevation of any county east of the Mississippi, but the highest elevation east of the Mississippi is Mt. Mitchell in Yancy County, NC, which is just short of 7,000'. There are many more peaks here only a few feet shorter. New Hampshire also has one mountain over 6,000', and Tennessee has several. Thousands of mountains higher than 4,700' in the Appalachians.
I believe it’s the highest plateau east of the Mississippi, not the highest peak.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it’s the highest plateau east of the Mississippi, not the highest peak.
Yeah, that sounds feasible. It's a beautiful place from the pictures I've seen, I'd like to see it in person sometime. For whatever reason, I have never set foot in WV. I need to fix that.

WOODIE13

For yall that hunt counties where firearms are legal, how is the hunting pressure in West Virginia? Is it very crowded?
If you get 500 yards from the road, no.

Only see a couple, usually my brother and cousins.

Lot of public land

Latest posts