Western Trip Advice

Mac

We just booked a flight to Idaho Falls for July 22nd and returning to Atlanta August 2nd. We have rented a car and will do a road trip. It will be my wife, 12 year old son and myself. My wife and I did many such trips before my son was born. It will be his first trip out west. We usually cover some miles on these type trips and concentrate on nature and scenic beauty. We will leave Idaho Falls and head to the Tetons, then three days in Yellowstone and Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge. So I have 4 nights booked with the last in Red Lodge Montana. We know we want to see the NPs in North and South Dakota and Mt Rushmore. From the Dakotas we will either head into Northern Montana and Glacier NP or Northern Colorado and Rocky Mt NP.

Any suggestions of must see places in this general area would be appreciated.

Thanks Dean

NOYDB

BANNED
Dean, you have a lot covered. Don't try to cover too much, leave room to linger at places you enjoy. Make sure your cameras are up to snuff, and you have spare batteries and memory cards.

And don't feed the bears.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
The northern half of Yellowstone is where it's at. Definitely plan on a couple days in the park. When you leave the northeast entrance headed to Red Lodge, the Beartooth pass has some pretty awesome photo ops. I'm sure there will still be snow on the ground. I would leave Red Lodge and head to Cody, WY and absolutely plan to spend the night in Cody. The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody is amazing. Don't miss it. And end the day at the rodeo, which Cody hosts every single night, all summer long. Head east from Cody on your way to the Black Hills, Badlands, Devil's Tower, etc.

It's an awesome trip. I wish I was going.

GA native

If you go as far South as Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is a must. Cripple Creek if you like to gamble, Royal Gorge. Florissant fossil beds. Beuna Vista lives up to its name.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Yellowstone will take 3 days easy, especially if you hike. Mt. Rushmore is half a day and the badlands are spectacular. Crazy horse is close to Rushmore, but not that great, yet. Just got back from out that way, one thing for sure is it takes a long time to get anywhere in the west. Wish we could have made it to Glacier.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
At Yellowstone there are lots of lesser known geysers of interest. I can't remember how I found out about them and when they erupt and most are on gravel roads but some were really interesting.

BTW I got snowed on in late June 20 years ago.

cowhornedspike

Don't rush Yellowstone. When you are at Old Faithful be sure to go inside Old Faithful Inn...almost as amazing as the geyser. You should stay there if you can get a reservation.

Mac

If you go as far South as Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is a must. Cripple Creek if you like to gamble, Royal Gorge. Florissant fossil beds. Beuna Vista lives up to its name.

Thanks for reply, I have been to all you have mentioned and they are great, will not be going that far south on this trip.

Mac

Don't rush Yellowstone. When you are at Old Faithful be sure to go inside Old Faithful Inn...almost as amazing as the geyser. You should stay there if you can get a reservation.

Thanks, this was sorta a last minute decision,
No lodging in the park, I found a cabin just outside the park at a great deal. I think you have to book rooms in park almost a year in advance.

Mac

Yellowstone will take 3 days easy, especially if you hike. Mt. Rushmore is half a day and the badlands are spectacular. Crazy horse is close to Rushmore, but not that great, yet. Just got back from out that way, one thing for sure is it takes a long time to get anywhere in the west. Wish we could have made it to Glacier.

Thanks for impute, We will have 3 days in Yellowstone when we start the trip, with option to end trip back at Yellowstone if we feel we did not get to see enough.

I too wanted to get in Glacier, we visited their about 15 years ago, it is very nice, but probably not enough time on this trip.

Mac

At Yellowstone there are lots of lesser known geysers of interest. I can't remember how I found out about them and when they erupt and most are on gravel roads but some were really interesting.

BTW I got snowed on in late June 20 years ago.

Will for sure check it out thanks,

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Read up on Custer State Park in South Dakota near Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Custer Holiday Inn Express you can watch deer while eating breakfast

Be sure to drive Needles highway in black hills

I can't think of the name right now but south of Custer SD is a town with a great museum built over an excavation where they are still digging up mammoths and other stuff. A 12 y o. Should love that. Google it.
Edit. Town is Hot Springs. 32 miles from Custer

If you are in Grand Teton area be sure to do a raft ride down Snake River.

Spend max time in Yellowstone Especially the Lamar Valley

Jackson Hole is cool to see. Especially the antler arches in the park in center of town

Last edited:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Here is a interesting site in Nebraska where they are digging up fossils and such from when the last time Mt. Saint Helen really blow its top.

http://ashfall.unl.edu/visit.html

PappyHoel

Be sure to go see the worlds largest ball of lint.

livetohunt

Do Rocky Mountain National Park for sure. Estes Park is a great place to visit..You can do a short hike in the park and see some great views.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming, Deadwood SD.. sounds like a wonderful trip. He will remember it forever.

rjcruiser

Get some quality binos for your trip. They'll come in very handy.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming, Deadwood SD.. sounds like a wonderful trip. He will remember it forever.

Did both and are great stops

Mac

Leave on Friday for a action packed trip.