What are your deer eating now

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The mushrooms have been gone here for about three months, along with the acorns. Here., they are hitting greenbriars, buffalo nut, and other browse. We plant some plots where I hunt in SC, and they're hitting them pretty hard now along with natural browse.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
This is not a smart answer.
Deer are natural browsers like NC said. Briars are some of the best browse. Mow it. Fertilizer helps. Those thick pivots you see have plenty of green. In them pines are vines that have leaves. Grass is this green under the brown. My swamps have a vast food source of all kind of weeds. I’ve watched them feed out there. Seen them eat brown oak leaves.
That 180 pound buck at a lot of places didn’t get that big off corn and plots. This winter in SWGA was not a cold killing one. We had frost but not a lot.
I have plots ate down also. Don’t have enough to mater. I have really no feeders out.
Will plant sorghum this spring with peas and sunflowers.

Good luck
I bet you got a good frost the past 2 mornings

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I bet you got a good frost the past 2 mornings
I’m on the road. Lols ?
Bet it was not in the low 20tys.

I tell u what. The 2nd and 3rd of Feb. I’ll be home ? that weekend. Why don’t you come by and I’ll give u a tour of the place.
Bring your 1/2 brother with u.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Mark K

Banned
Corn and protein mixed right now in the feeders.
Clover in some plots.
And there is still a lot of green natural browse under all that Wiregrass and mixed in among the broomsedge.
Still green leaves on the privet.
And believe it or not, still eating acorns off the fallen oaks from the hurricane.
There’s actually so much natural food they don’t spend too much time in any one spot whether it be the fields or feeders.

Gbr5pb

Believe we have been spoiled in Taylor county! Neighbor farmer planted soybeans and peanuts in summer and planted large rye fields in fall for his cattle. Plants cotton now and hadn’t planted rye fields as of first of January. Along with my across the road neighbors who ran protein feeders year round going bankrupt and the invasion of hogs our deer quality has really went down! Don’t know how to reverse this problem

transfixer

Believe we have been spoiled in Taylor county! Neighbor farmer planted soybeans and peanuts in summer and planted large rye fields in fall for his cattle. Plants cotton now and hadn’t planted rye fields as of first of January. Along with my across the road neighbors who ran protein feeders year round going bankrupt and the invasion of hogs our deer quality has really went down! Don’t know how to reverse this problem

Only way to cut down on hogs is to trap them, trying to hunt them is hit or miss

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m on the road. Lols ?
Bet it was not in the low 20tys.

I tell u what. The 2nd and 3rd of Feb. I’ll be home ? that weekend. Why don’t you come by and I’ll give u a tour of the place.
Bring your 1/2 brother with u.
Gonna try , but I don’t have any 1/2 brothers!

walters

It's like that here in Hartwell, soybean fields on each side of property, but my club in wilkes has pine trees , that's it. That's why I fill food plots are a lot better than corn cause when season gone the corn gone, plots keep on giving.
Someone said deer eating bark off trees, I've always heard that was bad, the deer was starving when u seen that.
Thanks for keeping thread clean, nice to discuss like gentleman/sportsman