What County??

Toliver

Other than the normal crime, methheads, etc. Floyd County is a pretty good place to live, hunt, and fish. What part of the county is the piece of property you are looking at?
Just southwest of Rome proper. It has a Rome zip code. Far enough out there was no noise from traffic.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Oconee County.
Several top-rated private schools and some of the highest rated public schools in the country.

The only knock people have of Oconee County is the lack of diversity.

About a 1.5 (or less) hour drive east of the ATL.
She said realistically affordable ::ke:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Walton has a lot of Gwinnetts overflow
I would suggest Walton. The Gwinnett folks moving that way are buying high end homes. Land has gone way up in the last 3-4 years. That will keep a lot of the rifraf out. Some pretty good school systems and it is still firmly controlled by conservatives.

WishboneW

Enjoyed the year we lived in Eustis Florida. Mt. Dora would be good as well.

Close to national Forrest land and plenty of lakes.

If you are used to Miami prices for everything central Fla or most places in Ga will suit you. You can always home school

A person who has skills and tools can pick up and move anywhere and make a living. Electrician, plumber, HVAC, construction/remodeling, welding, mechanic, etc..

tr21

you wouldn't want to come up here. no fancy stores or restaurants, no color, old time country schools and 99.9 % of residents pull their pants all the way up. not much crime, it's a real boring place to live. only excitement we get here is watching the motorcycle riders get airlifted to the hospital every nice weekend :clap: :clap: :clap: !

Tblank

Just out of curiosity, why not? I'm going back for a 2nd look at a piece of property in Floyd and just wondering what you know that I should be looking out for. Schools are not an issue for us but there may be something else I need to know about.
Born and raised here in Floyd county. Nothing wrong at all in my 57 years.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I would relocate just as far from that contaminated cesspool of a septic tank that they have named atlanta, as I could get.

The mountains are nice, South central Georgia is fairly nice, and Southwest Georgia is God`s Country.

Edit, to add, what appeals to me might not be to your liking, because I require, quiet, solitude, very few neighbors, and people in general.

Best of luck finding what you are looking for. My regards.

Last edited:

Core Lokt

Not what you asked but look at Jefferson Co FL (Monticello). 30 minute drive to Tallahassee. Very rural and there are private schools in Leon Co that all of my friends send their kids to.

Thomas county in Ga is nice too. The city is bigger but plenty or rural land in the count too.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I can personally recommend Monroe county in Central Georgia. Far away enough from Atlanta but still close enough if you are forced to go there. Macon and Warner Robins are close enough by in case you need anything. Schools are good, people are nice, crime isn't too bad so long as you stay away from Macon, and it's above the gnat line.

Whitefeather

Management Material
stop before you get to macon and home school if at all possible....good luck!
I wouldn’t relocate within a 100 mile radius of downtown Atlanta. The city flight is well underway from Metro Atlanta now and is rapidly moving out. What used to be rural 50 miles from Atlanta is now being developed at an all time high rate. In 20 years Atlanta metro will be a 100 mile radius.

Big7

The Oracle
What county would you guys say is family friendly with great schools if we wanted to move up from south FL? Something realistically affordable as well.. We need to escape the crazy city of Miami and have always had Georgia in our mind. We head up every year to hunt and it always feels like home. Miami is not what it used to be and I'd hate to keep raising my little girls here.. Thank you!
Watkinsville. Oconee County.
Ppl move there just for the schools and it's close to Athens.

oldfella1962

Columbia County (adjacent to Augusta) is pretty good. Schools are highly rated, low violent crime rate, and low property taxes. The downside it's one of the fastest growing counties, so traffic greatly exceeds the roadways to carry that traffic. :mad: The county leans Republican if that isn't a deal-breaker to you. Augusta is minutes away, and they have live entertainment events and pretty much every store you might need. Actual Columbia County has all the stores & restaurants and much less crime than Augusta.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If you decide on Oconee County, send me your application for review. I think we have our 2023 Florida people allocation filled, but I'll put you on standby and see what I can do.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Send me a PM if you need to know anything else about the area
Same for me. I'm just NE of downtown Rome, but in County.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I wouldn’t relocate within a 100 mile radius of downtown Atlanta. The city flight is well underway from Metro Atlanta now and is rapidly moving out. What used to be rural 50 miles from Atlanta is now being developed at an all time high rate. In 20 years Atlanta metro will be a 100 mile radius.
Stein's law will get Atlanta eventually and I don't think Metro Atlanta will be in downtown Perry in 20 years. Warner Robins might though! :LOL:

Oldstick

Houston county, Perry area. Near several WMA’s and Warner Robins isn’t far if you want city life.
And only 90 miles or less from Atlanta if you are interested in that (not me). Houston Co. is truly one of the very best school districts in the State of GA if you research it.

Latest posts