What did the ancient Jews think the Savior would be?

Artfuldodger

The topic of the Cross bringing in the Gentiles forced me to look back at how did the concept all begin. Was their future Redeemer going to save them from He11 or from physical bondage, scattering, etc. and a new physical kingdom.
It sounds like they were looking at it more as a physical salvation.
Reading this;
The word "mashiach" does not mean "savior." The notion of an innocent, divine or semi-divine being who will sacrifice himself to save us from the consequences of our own sins is a purely Christian concept that has no basis in Jewish thought. Unfortunately, this Christian concept has become so deeply ingrained in the English word "messiah" that this English word can no longer be used to refer to the Jewish concept.

Somewhere along the way the Christian mystery/secret was discovered that the coming Messiah would be a King, but also offer salvation from all the sins of those under the Old Covenant which were Jews.

Artfuldodger

The prophet that tries to explain the mystery/secret the best to me is Paul. Yet Peter has trouble following Paul. Even Paul has trouble at times understanding himself.

The thief on the Cross knew Jesus was their King. I think he also knew that he was the Son of God. So the thief knew that their was more to the Redeemer/Messiah being as Savior in the spiritual sense. If not before, he knew after Jesus said he would see him in Paradise.

Back to Paul and in Romans 9 it is mentioned that there is a Promise to the Patriarchs, then in chapter 11, he explains the Gentiles way in to the Promise, who were once far away according to Ephesians. They were without hope and without God.
The Cross, removed the wall of hostility, and allowed the Gentiles to be grafted in.

All that being said, what did those living during the Old Testament think the Redeemer was gonna be? Did they see the concept as physical, spiritual, or both?