What else to plant with turnips?

Ugahunter2013

I have a rectangular plot just shy of 1 acre. I have always planted in Oats. I wanted to tey planting half in oats/clover and the other half in Turnips. I have never planted turnips in a plot before and was curious to see which they may or may not prefer. What would be good to mix with the turnips? Maybe daikon radish? What about any winter peas?

Local seed store also has some blue lupine deer candy.

I assume if I did that i would drag the peas in and just broadcast the turnips and radish.

Trying to get it planted Saturday. Thanks

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I would for sure drag in the radishes and turnips, you will get a much better stand

davidhelmly

I have a rectangular plot just shy of 1 acre. I have always planted in Oats. I wanted to tey planting half in oats/clover and the other half in Turnips. I have never planted turnips in a plot before and was curious to see which they may or may not prefer. What would be good to mix with the turnips? Maybe daikon radish? What about any winter peas?

Local seed store also has some blue lupine deer candy.

I assume if I did that i would drag the peas in and just broadcast the turnips and radish.

Trying to get it planted Saturday. Thanks
I would not drag in the turnips and radish, maybe run a cultpacker over them if you have one or just let the rain beat them in if you don’t.

Dbender

Kale,rape,turnips are all basically the same. They aren't really favored anywhere I've ever planted them. I'd plant the entire plot in wheat/rye/oats and lightly sprinkle some pt turnips and or radishes over entire plot after I was done. I think most rape is just mislabeled wild mustard.?

Ihunt

I’ve never had good luck with any of the brassicas but many do and they’re deer love them. I think in many of those cases it took they’re deer a couple of years to come to enjoy them.

I would plant most of that plot as you usually do and set aside a very small part of it for turnips. I wouldn’t waste plot space on a plant that they very well may not eat. If they do eat them, then plant more next year.

As a side note, they typically need to be planted earlier than this because the first frost will turn off the growth. Plant the brassicas in early September.

shdw633

Whenever I have planted turnips alone the deer have decimated them to the point that I am hunting over mostly dirt. I would do as Dbender stated and plant the entire plot with an oat/abruzzi rye/turnip mix or plant each side of the plot with the oat/abruzzi rye/turnip mix and just plant a center area of turnips only if your doing it as a main attractant to your deer, that way if they do eat them the turnips to the ground you still have your entire plot with food in it as opposed to only being half full of food and half full of just dirt. I did that with a Pennington Rackmaster blend one year and had turnips as big as your fist the deer were eating on come December and January.