What happened to the American giants ?

Hillbilly stalker

A lot of good history and information on the American Chestnut. They were giants, I remember my paw paw talking about stumps big enough to park a team and wagon on. It’s a shame there about gone. Enjoy, this fellar tells a good story.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Heard about the efforts to develop blight-resistant hybrids but I figure even in a best-case scenario, that won't be widespread for a while. I fear that the hemlocks will end up the same way.

oldfella1962

Interesting! But quick question - is there an alternate spelling for the Appalachian Mountains? At the beginning of the video at 1:36 or so there's a map that says Appalachia's but doesn't it need a letter "n" such as Appalachians? :confused:
I could be wrong, I'm not from there. But it is terrible what happened to such a great species! :mad: Plenty of other nuisance trees around!

Anyway RR88 said the hemlocks are in trouble! I need to look into that. We had some hemlocks near my house in Wisconsin. Big, majestic trees and I would hate for them to get a blight.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Interesting! But quick question - is there an alternate spelling for the Appalachian Mountains? At the beginning of the video at 1:36 or so there's a map that says Appalachia's but doesn't it need a letter "n" such as Appalachians? :confused:
I could be wrong, I'm not from there. But it is terrible what happened to such a great species! :mad: Plenty of other nuisance trees around!

Anyway RR88 said the hemlocks are in trouble! I need to look into that. We had some hemlocks near my house in Wisconsin. Big, majestic trees and I would hate for them to get a blight.
The threat to hemlocks is called "hemlock woolly adelgid." It's an invasive from China, I believe. Whenever I'm around Hemlocks, I always check the underside of the leaves to see if they're infested. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't; usually depends on the area. I think it's primarily near the eastern seaboard and especially pad in the Northeast; don't think they're anywhere near Wisconsin, but I could be wrong.

DSGB

Appalachia is the name of the cultural region, generally from southern New York to North Georgia/Alabama.

Appalachian is the name of the mountains.

Gaswamp

good video

oldfella1962

Appalachia is the name of the cultural region, generally from southern New York to North Georgia/Alabama.

Appalachian is the name of the mountains.

That's what I thought, but in the video there is a map and it says Appalachia's instead of Appalachians. Probably a typo or they just spelled it wrong and never proofread/edited the video very closely. It's about 1:36 into the video.
But the video was good - especially the pictures of the big boxes of ripe chestnuts!

oldfella1962

The threat to hemlocks is called "hemlock woolly adelgid." It's an invasive from China, I believe. Whenever I'm around Hemlocks, I always check the underside of the leaves to see if they're infested. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't; usually depends on the area. I think it's primarily near the eastern seaboard and especially pad in the Northeast; don't think they're anywhere near Wisconsin, but I could be wrong.

I checked the map, still two states away from Wisconsin. Maybe the Great Lakes slow it down or something.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not just in trouble, almost completely gone in many areas. Cataloochee Valley across the ridge from where I live used to be full of big, giant virgin hemlocks, they were one of the dominant canopy species. There were untold thousands of them, including the two biggest ones known to be in existence. They are all gone now, dead over the last 25 years or so. I doubt if there's a mature hemlock left in the whole valley.

HermanMerman

A few years ago my MIL got a Christmas package from her sister in Italy. When she open it there was a note saying the chestnuts that were included had been removed and destroyed.

Can’t recall the exact agency that was responsible but they are clearly serious about protecting what is left.

Artfuldodger

That's what I thought, but in the video there is a map and it says Appalachia's instead of Appalachians. Probably a typo or they just spelled it wrong and never proofread/edited the video very closely. It's about 1:36 into the video.
But the video was good - especially the pictures of the big boxes of ripe chestnuts!
Maybe it goes beyond just cultural regions. Even if the regions are marked on a map as sub-regions, I've never seen the term Appalachia's written that way. I'm thinking they just left the "n" off.
Here is a map showing all the Sub-regions.
https://artsandsciences.sc.edu/appalachianenglish/node/783

oldfella1962

A few years ago my MIL got a Christmas package from her sister in Italy. When she open it there was a note saying the chestnuts that were included had been removed and destroyed.

Can’t recall the exact agency that was responsible but they are clearly serious about protecting what is left.

I'm not surprised! Italy is really on top of their postal rules, assuming the chestnuts got removed on the Italy end. You know what you can't mail to Italy? Granted rules may have changed, but here are some examples:

Barbie dolls
Live bees
Human hair
Toys not made completely of wood
Shoes

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I'm not surprised! Italy is really on top of their postal rules, assuming the chestnuts got removed on the Italy end. You know what you can't mail to Italy? Granted rules may have changed, but here are some examples:

Barbie dolls
Live bees
Human hair
Shoes

Barbie dolls
Live bees
Human hair
Shoes

That`s ironic because most of our honeybees came from Italy originally.

Hillbilly stalker

Appalachia is a culture region. You have the foothills and then the “Appalachian “ mountains. Both are considered Appalachia, just a different part of the region. That’s the way it’s always been explained to me.

oldfella1962

Appalachia is a culture region. You have the foothills and then the “Appalachian “ mountains. Both are considered Appalachia, just a different part of the region. That’s the way it’s always been explained to me.

I get that - it makes sense. I was just wondering why the actual map had "Appalachia's" where - of course - the "Appalachians" would be. Look at the actual map in the video at 1:26 to about 1:38 or so.

That's just my weird brain - mistakes just "pop out" at me immediately. Now if the map said "Appalachia" meaning the general region of Appalachia, that would make sense. But not "Appalachia's". Regardless, the video was great. I used to work with an elderly guy from Kentucky whose family told him about the chestnut trees that used to be there. :(

jrickman

I've got 10 Hemlocks in my yard. A tree guy estimated one of them to be around 120 years old, which is around the age of the house. Old pictures more or less support that estimate. The trunk is pretty close to 4 feet. It is not a healthy tree though, having been struck by lightning about 30 years ago. The prior owner said there was another in the yard that was much older, with a trunk nearly 6 feet that was also struck by lightning, but when that happened, she said the trunk exploded and it broke almost all the windows on the west side of the house and damaged 4 other houses in the vicinity. I've got another one near where that one stood that is a real beauty. Trunk is about 30 inches and it is at least 60 feet high with a near perfect shape. This conversation reminded me that I need to have them all treated again soon.