What is a good sized "group" when shooting a bow?

What size group do you consistently shoot at 20 yards?

• .5 - 1.5 inch

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • 1.5 - 2.5 inch

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • 2.5 - 3.5 inch

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • 3.5 - 4.5 inch

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • aprox. 5 inch

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Rob

Do not get caught up in the size of the groups everyone claims, your 3" groups @ 20 yards will kill a deer.

I too was amazed at the number of people claiming to shoot less than 2.5", currently 56% of the people claim to shoot that size or the smaller size. I use to shoot a lot of indoor leagues and half the people in my leagues (S. Ga and Wisconsin) were not 300 shooters (a 300 shooter keeps 60 arrows in the 5 ring - which is bigger than 2.5"). As a matter of fact the last league I shot in there were 30 people and only two of us maintained a 300 average for the entire league. There were a lot of people that were 290-299 - which I guess you could discount or ignore the occasionally bad arrow and consider your group to be that size. So do not discouraged, concentrate on your form and your groups will be there.

chambers270 said:
Man there are alot more people shooting around 1 inch everytime at 20 yards than I thought. Is that with a hunting setup or a comp. bow?

The last couple of groups were all right at 3 1/4 inch. Looks pretty good to me, a few of those I was also shooting sitting down. I actually seem to hold the bow steadier sitting than standing. Seems strange to me.

Well I have another couple of weeks to practice. I would like to knock another inch off, but I feel pretty good about a 3 inch group at 20 yards since that is smaller than a deer's heart.

Thanks
Chris

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
FOR ME, I want my arrows touching one another

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I've always liked to be able to wrap my thumb and my index finger around a 5 arrow group. As long as I can do that consistently I feel I can kill a deer w/o any problem as long as it's within the same range.

chambers270

NorthGaBowhunter said:
chris are you sure your bow is tuned? do you have the proper draw length? are your shafts spined correct? do you have a level in your sight? how is your form? let us see a good pic of your bow.have you done a walkback tune? I bet you can shoot better 20 yd groups than that.

The bow is only a few weeks old so I guess it should be tuned. My draw length feels just right to me. I dont have a clue if a shaft is spined correct. But I just got all my arrows refletched from a guy that has been doing it over 20 years. I feel like I anchor to the same point every time. And I do have a level on my sight.

I generally miss up and down more than side to side. I dont have a digital camera so I can not post a pic. But it is a Matthews Switchback XT with a Trophy Ridge Sight, and a Whisker Bisquit. And I dont have a stabilizer or silencers on it.

I am about to go shoot some more today, I will post the results later.

Thanks
Chris

kcausey

Banned
I group once.....then separate targets. Grouping is too expensive. I used to be more disciplined when I had more time.....I am happy with a 3" group at 25 yards these days...which will kill any animal I'll be shooting at....The chance of hitting that 1/2" spot your aiming at that 100lb doe or 250lb buck at 25 yards is nearly impossible anyway.....they're gonna flinch, unless your shooting 750fps......I just want a "vital sized" group I guess.
Chuck Adams did a project by taking a chainsaw to a 250lb Kansas buck's chest cavity....all the goods were in a 8"x8"x8 1/2" area....give or take due to contour.....so I say anyone that can hit a 6" oval from a decent distance is a lethal archer.
my 2 cents
KIP

jason308

I feel best with a 3 inch group or less, but like Reylamb said before long it will be out the back door with one arrow at an unknown distance and see where it hits....if I am in the kill zone each time, I am ready. One more thing- you MUST practice in the conditions you will encounter in the woods-what I mean is climb a tree to the approximate height you will be hunting from and shoot a 3D deer at different angles (quartering towards, away, etc) to get a feel for where to shoot-that is what I need to work on the most. You will have to shoot at a different spot than the 20 yd broadside shot to puncture the vitals, and the 3D target will help you get a feel for this.

NorthGaBowhunter

270 thats a fine bow you have there have one myself. do you touch your string to the tip of your nose when you shoot . and have you checked to make sure you have the correct spine shaft. sounds like everything is fine.

chambers270

NorthGaBowhunter said:
270 thats a fine bow you have there have one myself. do you touch your string to the tip of your nose when you shoot . and have you checked to make sure you have the correct spine shaft. sounds like everything is fine.

I dont touch the string to my nose, I just use my kisser button and it works for me. For the first year I shot a bow I didn't use a kisser button. I did not know abou them, I guess I was just anchoring in the same place everytime.

How do you check the spine shaft?

Thanks
Chris

NorthGaBowhunter

chambers270 said:
I dont touch the string to my nose, I just use my kisser button and it works for me. For the first year I shot a bow I didn't use a kisser button. I did not know abou them, I guess I was just anchoring in the same place everytime.

How do you check the spine shaft?

Thanks
Chris
hey chris go to easton archery and check the chart. better yet ask reylamb about it . what shaft are you shooting and what weight are pulling and fieldpoint weight?

gabowman

chambers270 said:
I was wondering what exactly is a good sized "group?" With say 4 or 5 arrows at 20 yards? How about 30 yards too? Today I was shooting from 3 to 4 inch groups at 20 yards. Is this pretty good or do I need to work on it somemore before bowseason?

Thanks
Chris

When the time of truth comes and you're drawing on that buck and you can maintain the confidence level to keep your arrows inside the 3-4 inch groupings then you're ready. To me stacking arrows doesnt mean that much other than building confidence just knowing you're going to hit where you're looking. By all means keep practicing. Also I highly recommend you find a decent broadhead target and become just as efficient shooting broadheads as you are with field points. Just know your limitations and only take killing shots (nothing marginal) and you'll do fine. BTW, I said 2.5-3.5 which includes any "fliers" but I dont try shooting groups. Arrows costs too much.

chambers270

NorthGaBowhunter said:
hey chris go to easton archery and check the chart. better yet ask reylamb about it . what shaft are you shooting and what weight are pulling and fieldpoint weight?

Super Carbon Hunter 55-70 (29 inches)which
weigh 305 grains

62 lbs draw weight

100 grain fieldpoints

I just bought a Block today from the Bass Pro, I can not wait to let some arrows fly into it! Well I guess I can wait because it is actually raining in SE Georgia!:clap:

Thanks
Chris

You'd be amazed at the bunch of 240's our guys post

:rofl:

Don't worry when you get a shot on a deer for the first time your groups will open up...Ask the 1" group of guys if they've ever shot over under or otherwise missed a deer,If they haven't they haven't hunted very much...........

Your groups are fine.Now get up in an elevated position(on a deck,roof,or backyard stand),and shoot down into your target.See if your form holds up.You'll prolly drop your bow arm initially,hitting high.Bend at the waist instead of dropping your arm and you'll tighten your groups right back up.If you plan on using a face mask,shoot with it on too.Some masks make it harder to feel the string on your skin,making you change your anchor point.

Also concentrate on holding the bow up after the shot.I have made bad shots more than once from dropping the bow(peeking)to see where my arrow hit.I never have that problem on targets,but I'll do it on deer everytime if I don't make a concentrated effort not to....I guess I want to see where they run,how they react etc............

With the amount of shooting you're doing,you'll be fine,new bow and all,this season.:clap:
an honest man

Hunter922

With today's bows, arrows and sights. Unless you like replacing arrows and refletching, Don't shoot groups at 20.. Haven't shot groups in years for this reason.

bullgator

The usual rule of thumb is that for "hunting accuracy" 1 inch groups per 10 yards from the target. In my experience, some folks consider a 10" group at 20 to be good enough....I ain't one of those folks however.
I agree. When practicing with no stress, 1” per every 10 yards. That will certainly open up under rushed stress in a hunting situation.

Reactions: Dub

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
What an old thread this is… almost 20years ago! Crazy to think how far bows have come since then, but also too how much is still the same as well.
I'm still shooting a storm archery bow and aluminum arrows so it's about the same here.