What is it ?

Keith Karr

My youngest son lives on a hill in Haralson county. They regularly find points of all kinds around his house.

So many that it must have been a regular camp site for the natives.

He found this yesterday and is wondering if it might be something to start fires with. Fits in your hand nicely.

What do y’all think ?

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8014.jpeg
    IMG_8014.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 73354038145__1AB2CFF4-0996-4622-9470-D5A63657300D.jpeg
    73354038145__1AB2CFF4-0996-4622-9470-D5A63657300D.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 82

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We have a good bit of iron ore in our area. It manifests itself in reddish-brown nodules of varying sizes usually smoothish on the outside and frequently less solid and course on the inside, sometimes even hollow with a powdery residue. Those we called "Indian paint rocks" when I was a kid. A smaller one would look a lot like the item in your picture.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My oldest son said the same thing about it being water caused but that seems really odd coming off the top of a hill.
He saw something interesting about it that made him pick it up and carry it home. I doubt if the Indians were much different from us. :)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
He saw something interesting about it that made him pick it up and carry it home. I doubt if the Indians were much different from us. :)

Good point. Chief Joseph carried a beauty of a Clovis point in his medicine bag. Said he found it mixed up in "monster" bones, and felt like it was special.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My oldest son said the same thing about it being water caused but that seems really odd coming off the top of a hill.
The earth there was covered in water millions of years ago. I found a starfish in a iron rock. It looked cool to me so I put it in the basket of 4 wheeler. Took several days for me to notice the star fish. The state of fla wanted to put it on display and me donate it. I know a scientist (lols) and I made him give it back. Told him I would never share again once I got it back in my possession.

I have picked up flint before cause it looked worked. Took several days looking at it and it was a point. Picked up what looked like flakes to find a smalll point or 2.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
A lot of that has been found in these rivers around here. ;)

The Flint, Kinchafoonee, Muckalee, Ichaway-Nochaway, and every river, creek, and branch in the Panhandle are full of them, and points and tools from Paleo to Pre-Columbian time periods. I`ve seen some absolute treasures that came out of the Flint back in the good ol` days. Even some Basilosaurus teeth.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed they are, especially molars and tusks, and pieces of tusks. I`m lucky enough to have a small piece of Columbian mammoth tusk.
I have half a mastodon molar sitting on my bookcase.