What is this?

Dbender

I have a bolt action rifle that i have no idea what it is or where it came from. Looks like it would take a pistol clip? Bore is roughly same size as the od of the neck of a 22-250 case. Gun is 36" long butt to tip of barrel. Barrel is 17" long. Fixed iron sights. No safety. Pics included. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20210211_112940.jpg
    20210211_112940.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210211_112934.jpg
    20210211_112934.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210211_112928.jpg
    20210211_112928.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210211_112923.jpg
    20210211_112923.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210211_113135.jpg
    20210211_113135.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210211_112952.jpg
    20210211_112952.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 110

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. It's an Italian Carcano. Should be chambered in 6.5x52. There were thousands of them sold cheap after WWII. That's the rifle that supposedly killed John F. Kennedy.

Dbender

Hunk of junk or decent gun? Nice short lightweight rifle, seems like it would be good to sneak up on pigs with?

snuffy

Oh, for the good old days! But I bet 13 bucks back then was a fair sum!

It was. My father bought it for me. I refinished the stock for my shop assignment in high school.
Walked down the lower hall at Henry County High with the rifle and nobody thought anything about it. Or even asked if it were loaded.

Things sure have changed. And not for the better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hunk of junk or decent gun? Nice short lightweight rifle, seems like it would be good to sneak up on pigs with?
Some of them were good guns, some not so much, like bout any military surplus rifles. Yours looks like it's been taken good care of. My cousin used to hunt with one. I remember it was loud as the dickens and would shoot a long spout of fire out the end of the barrel in the dark. :)

Hillbilly stalker

Their called “ Kennedy rifles “ around here any way. Gunsmith told me they were comparable to a .30-30 or maybe a little weaker. The one I shot wouldnt group very well at all. They were inexpensive before the gun madness hit everybody here while back.

Nimrod71

Back in the mid 60's my Dad sold military rifles. I remember the old Carcano rifles and like above they were cheap. I remember him selling them for $10 each, they cost $4 each. I still have one and a couple of boxes of ammo. The ammo was super cheap the boxes I have are market $2.95 for 40 rds.

Reactions: Dub

WaltL1

Some of them were good guns, some not so much, like bout any military surplus rifles. Yours looks like it's been taken good care of. My cousin used to hunt with one. I remember it was loud as the dickens and would shoot a long spout of fire out the end of the barrel in the dark. :)
Some of them were good guns, some not so much, like bout any military surplus rifles
A few of them, like the Swedish Mauser M96 for example, will put any modern production rifle and many so called "custom" rifles to shame as far as quality and fit.
The Carcano aint one of those in that category though :bounce:.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Shooting after dark? Poor old coon was outgunned,or was it something else? Fess up NCH

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting after dark? Poor old coon was outgunned,or was it something else? Fess up NCH
Naw, we just used to shoot all the time. We'd shoot at lit candles at night, all kinds of stuff. You sure wouldn't have wanted to poach with that thing, the warden would have heard it in the next county. :)

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I had one myself,shot some ww2 ammo with corrosive primers and rusted it up pretty bad.

Anvil Head

I've got one that belonged to my late brother. He killed several deer with it back in the day. Pretty solid little carbine, but real junky safety and typical long two stage military style trigger. He shot some pretty nice tight groups with it by pulling original bullets and replacing both powder and projectiles. Still didn't do complete reloads due to crimped primers and how cheap and accessable the mil. rounds were.