What makes a great hunt, and memories?

BOFF

Well, finally got to go hunting yesterday, the first time this season. I have been living though most of you Georgia guys and others since your seasons have opened before ours here in Alabama. I didn't get to hunt the first day due to weather, and my wife having to work late.

Regardless, the 2nd day of the season brings a lot cooler air, the kind that makes us hunters frisky, and filled with new life and desires. The kind of day that makes one wonder why he is complaining of trivial things, and reflect on the important things of life, like his spouse, children, family and friends.

Speaking of friends, and family, for some of us, spending time with friends can be a hard thing to do, especially with marriage, and children. The time even to hunt is often taken up with more important things to do with the family. However, yesterday was not one of these days.

I was able to get to hunt with one of my good friends Philip, yep that's right Philip with one "L", and make some more memories we often are so Blessed to have. We have been fishing on his wedding day, only to be drifted in a wasp nest in a tree top while retrieving a lure, to killing his first turkey together. Both stories of their own.

Somehow, through the years the time we so often spend together has dwindled down to 4 or 5 days a year. I mean come on, he doesn't even live a mile away!!! I spent more time hunting with him when I lived 70 miles away. Something just doesn't seem right in those two comparisons. I guess that's why the times we have together have been more fun, more successful, and even better for the memory books.

Sorry, I tended to wander off in the reflectional side of life, but back to the day which makes us alive inside. As I was writing, the day was one in which you knew, absolutely without a doubt, something was going to be seen. As I was leaving my house around 12:30 pm, from fixing the garage door, another story, I had deer crossing the road 3/4 mile away from my house. Another deer crosses the road 20 miles up the road, and as I was inspecting the stand sites, more deer were seen!!

I believe this "new" weather had the deer frisky as well.

Philip arrived around 2:50 pm and we got changed into our hunting clothes, shot our bows, and made our way to the stand sites I had picked out. Where as Philip used to be familiar with my land, the lack of time spent together told it's tale as he was having a little...... just a little, trouble in recognizing where we were. Of course due to the rain, we had to go the long way to the stands, around the creek, per county road and bridge, instead of through our own crossing. I give him some form of reason, as to his confusion. :crazy:

We discussed on our way to our stands how we used to hang stands waaaay up in trees without safety belts, and thinking we were Supermen. I guess our older age, and families, make us aware of the need to stay healthy, and our supermen image has turned to Elmer Fudd. So being, instead of just dropping him off at his stand or sending him on his own to the stand, I awaited to see him climb safely in the tree. I rationalized to my self, it was to keep any EXTRA foreign noises quiet with the running engine of the truck, which the deer were familiar with.................... yea, right!!

I moved on to my stand which I was going to be hunting on the ground in my shaggy suit in some hardwoods next to a bean and corn field. I got out of the truck, put on the shaggy suit, got my bow, the newly arrived Dawgware quiver, (another reason the day was good) and headed down the hill. I went about 30 yards and remembered I forgot the hand section of the Lone Wolf climber to sit on, so walked back to the truck and got it. I thanked the Lord for helping me to remember it only 30 yards down the hill, instead of the full 300 yards to the bottom. Did I mention it was a good day?

Got to the stand site without scaring any deer, and got situated to where I could see a narrow grassy road between the woods and field. I was sitting against a tree, with a lot of trees, thorns, and leaves all naturally brushed in around me. After sitting for a while, and taking a few slow practice draws to see if any vegetation would catch the bow or suit, I was ready.

The first visitors were the Caw....Caw....Caw....Caw sounds of the crows, coming in to check on the other side of the bean field, the freshly sown, but riddled with pelting rains, wheat, oats, and clover field. We had sown the seed on top without discing in due to the rains and wet fields. I felt sorry for the lookout crow, as he diligently stayed alert for about 15 minutes in the same spot while his two buddies searched for seed in the field. I noticed his turn was all of 3 minutes and his buddy flew up to a lower spot to lookout and was too busy grooming himself, and picking at his butt to be observant. But what do I know about crow duty, just my observation about his buddy. Regardless, his buddy flew away, and so did the other crow who was left in the field by himself.

About 40 minutes later I heard squish, squish, slurp, squish, behind me. I slowly turn and see 4 deer walking the edge of the wet bean field about 20 yards over my left shoulder. Did I mention, they came from down wind?? Yea, it was going to be a problem, as there was a mature doe with a little one, a smaller spike, and a whitish, grey, barbeque perfect doe with him. Did I mention fresh venison would taste mighty good? The spike cautiously came past me to check out some acorns in the road, and made his way to within 8 yards of me and the leafy cover. His companion also arrived, but the mature doe did her job, and stayed down wind, doing semi circles testing the wind, and not liking what she was smelling.

I had so many shot opportunities on the spike, but since this is management land, and he was a young deer he got a free pass for acorns. He also kept his sister safe, as he fed looking straight in my direction of the woods, with his side to the wind, and his back to the low eaten bean field. I never had an opportunity, as the mature doe was 20 yards behind me, and could see me easily though a large opening between me and her. She did her blowing, and the spike and doe left to be with her as they all ran back across the field and to the creek.

An hour passes, and I look over my left shoulder, and see 6 deer arrive from the creek into the open field. They get skidish as they are down wind from me after, 100 yards of travel across the field. I notice the whitish, grey doe is with them, and the, I'm not afraid of anything, I'm Superdeer spike. He makes his way back to the acorns, browses and leaves after his family blows, and makes a continous warning ruckus. I have another deer blow at me somewhere in the hardwoods to my right, as well.

For some, unknown reason, then, the white, gray doe cautiously comes to the acorns and is almost broadside at 10 yards, but still has a SLIGHT, I mean, .........give me another degree broadside and your in trouble......... slight forward stance.

Finally she takes a few steps, and turns her head back to the North to look away from me. There's my chance!!!!

and.................................I miss the opportunity, as she swings her head back around. Did I mention I also have at the same time, 2 other mature does, coming in about 15 yards to my left. Yea, a reason not to move too quick. One doe comes in, knowing she shouldn't be there after the nasty scent she received earlier, and then takes her younger daughter back downwind to safety. She did her job of saving and retrieving her daughter from danger. What we as adults do for our children, is the same for all species.

Well, it was getting dark, and I noticed two big horse figured deer walking about 50 yards directly to my left and going to the other deer. I know I have a wide racked 8 using in the area, and want to keep him as a breeder, but have no way of knowing if it was him, as it was too dark to see a rack at that distance with my eyes. So, I watched him get down wind, and out of my sight, and tried to slip quietly out of there to make my 300 yard walk up the hill.

Unloaded my stuff in the truck, and went to get Philip. He was already on the ground and put his bow in the truck. I noticed some, err, ........dirt on the end of one of his broadheads.

"Did you get anything?" I asked.

He told me he had deer around him from 3:30 till 6:00 when he shot. He already had blood found and after a 15 minute tracking job, we had his deer found. Unfortunately, it was mostly down hill from the truck, on a shelf of the hardwoods. Did I mention it was a good day?

He shot the deer, back, high, and the arrow exited right under her left shoulder, almost in the crease. A perfect shot!!! Way to go buddy!!!!

"Stay here."

I told him, and I walked about 30 yards to a road to where she was going. We drug the deer 30 yards on level/downhill ground to the road, and went and got the truck, and drove right to the deer, ..............

well almost.

Did I say it was a good day!!!! I take as much pride and joy in him getting a deer as if it were me. I was so excited for him, that in our discussion, and refection of past memories, I drove off without getting his deer.

"Augh, buddy, aren't we at the Cemetary field?" he asked.

I remembered the deer and quickly came back with :

"Yeah, why,....... did you want that deer? I thought you just wanted to find it and leave it?" :D We both laughed and cracked up, knowing both of us would almost cut off a finger, for fresh venison, gray and biscuits.

What a day it was!!!

Time to spend with a good friend. Time to be in the woods observing God's creations and creatures. Time to talk with God and thank him for all the things we are Blessed with, and reflect on how Blessed we really are, compared to others going through things I know I wouldn't, or couldn't handle.

Thanks for letting me reflect on another memory, and a great hunt.

God Bless,
David B.

100_5419-1.jpg

BGBH

Good stuff right there.....:)

E

Elbow

Boff, what a great story. And I love the reflection of your friendship and how it has grown. We don't always get to spend much time with our friends but sounds like you make it some good quality time when you two are together.
Congrats to you both on a day well spent!
El

ChrisSpikes

Great write up David! How do you like that ghillie?

BOFF

Thanks gentlemen!!!!

HookedN21,

I like it, but still deciding. I'm not sure about the quality of the suit I got. The fabric is folded, and the fabric back is not camouflaged, therefore, I have a bunch of grayish/white strips hanging down.

I called Rancho Safari today, spoke the with owner Jerry, and since the suit wasn't purchased directly from him, but another person carrying his line, he wasn't sure if the suit was current. He suggested I color the fabric, which would take A LOT of time. Nice gentleman, and I learned he shoots a long bow as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him, and wish I did.

Anyway here is a picture of the suit.
I haven't seen any others, so I'm not sure if this is typical or not.

100_5426.jpg