What meat did country folk eat in the 20's-30's in Georgia?

Boondocks

My uncle use to say that was his hog.They asked him how he knew that. He said lift the tail it has a hole under it. He also said you could not make any money with anything that had more coming out the back than what was going in the front. He died very well off from farming all his life.

Dub

"What meat did country folk eat in the 20's-30's in Georgia?"​

In the 2020's & 20230's I'm afraid it's fixing to be white meat........

So much race hate being ginned up by the modern democrat party...

oldfella1962

Sasquatch meat! :eek: Think about it - has anybody seen any around lately? :unsure:
No, because they all got eaten up in the 20's & 30's!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thats a long way to shake a bucket filled with corn!
When did folks stop free ranging hogs in north Ga you reckon? Seems like most folks did that up till some point.

Papa was born in 1900. He told me he was 13 or 14 when they let him go to Atlanta with them. He never mentioned when they quit.

I do have an old family 8mm movie of him slaughtering a hog in 1959. My dad was helping him, and my Granny that I only remember being either on a walker or wheelchair was walking.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Rabbits, squirrels, hogs, chicken

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A practice for rural folks back in the day, and something we still do some in todays time, is to eat with the seasons, from the garden. In the summer, peas, butterbeans corn, okra, potatoes, sweet potatoes tomatoes. In the winter, collards, mustard, turnips, cabbage, rutabagas.

Dried peas and beans are a staple on my homestead. You can even plant the dried blackeyes you buy in the store. They have a pretty good germination rate. Something to remember if there gets to be a shortage of seed.

B. White

I make my own lard and cracklings. It's easy. Just buy pork fat, cut it into little cubes, put it in my big cast iron fish cooker and stick it in the oven. About 350 F, 4 hours or so.
Those cracklings are a lot better than the puny little ones you can find in some grocery stores these days.

We made two batches this weekend. The fat I got was in strips 1/4 to 1/2 thick, so when sliced it didn't take long at 325 in the dutch oven. It's hard to believe you can't find good store bought cracklings anymore.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We made two batches this weekend. The fat I got was in strips 1/4 to 1/2 thick, so when sliced it didn't take long at 325 in the dutch oven. It's hard to believe you can't find good store bought cracklings anymore.

Jones Country Meats. Just east of Bainbridge.