What pound trigger is ideal for hunting?

Robert28

I recently picked up a Remington 700 ADL .308 and I think I'm going to ditch the x-mark trigger for a Timney. The stock setting on the x-mark is 5lbs and doesn't feel consistent at all. I adjusted it down to 4.5lbs but that's as far as she will go. Still feels really heavy. Looking on the Timney website, the replacement trigger for the 700 starts at 1.5 and goes up to 4 I think. I was debating between the 3lb and 2.5lb triggers. You think 2.5lbs is too light for hunting from a stand? That's all this rifle will be doing anyways, no bench shooting or competition or anything.

ryanh487

Lighter triggers contribute to smoother, more consistent trigger pull, which equals better accuracy. There's a reason match rifles have them. I'd go around 2.5 lbs for normal Georgia hunting, 1.5 lbs if I was trying to really reach out and touch something out west. I did a trigger job on my .270 and brought it down to 1.5 lbs, and I love it. Just keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready for whatever is in your sights to die.

tree cutter 08

My deer rifle is set at 2lb. My other rifles are 2.5 to 3 lb range. I'm not going to hunt with a rifle with a 3 lb or heavier trigger. Just personal preference.

Robert28

Thanks for the replies so far! Remington claims the stock trigger can be dialed back to 3lbs but I'm not seeing that at all. Other than the heaviness, it's actually not a bad trigger. Very minimal take up, smooth pull all the way through, just heavy as the dickens. Plus I'm scared of Remington triggers ever since that whole ordeal. I know it's been fixed but you know the old saying "once bitten, twice shy". I think for the $147 Timney charges, it'll be a good upgrade. That and a scope this spring and it'll be ready to go this fall.

GunnSmokeer

From years of shooting Highpower rifle matches, “service rifle” class, I’m used to a 4.5 lb. trigger.
But generally, for most good shooters who want to do varmint hunting or long distance big game hunting, I think 2 -3 lbs. is ideal.
I wouldn’t go too light, due to possible nervousness upon seeing “the big one” or for wearing gloves.

wareagle700

Everybody has their opinion on trigger pull weights. Most people want them as light as they can safely get them, sometimes way too light. I am of the opinion that a 3lb trigger is ideal for a bolt rifle that will be used in the field.

Dub

My older .270 BDL has a Timney set at 2lb and I’ve really enjoyed it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the ones I use the most are in the 32-34 oz range. The one in my 700 ADL in .270 is my favorite I think. It is the old style remmy trigger with an upgraded spring. I also have one with an X-Mark that the spring was upgraded in, it is not as smooth as the old style. I have several Rifle Basix and they have the same size shoe as the older ones that I like better.

GeorgiaBob

Many decades ago, I shot competition with about 2.8 pounds of pull in a long fat trigger. That heavy (for competition) pull meant that I had to stay on target longer and (counter-intuitively) I steadied into the center much more often.

Shooting a deer or turkey in brush obscured woods means having to find your firing position, aim and fire in seconds, whether you are in a tree stand or stalking. Seldom do hunters have time to set their "perfect" firing stance before a deer moves, so we all learn to shoot well from less than perfect positions. One thing that helps me is a much lighter trigger pull. Whether free standing (it has happened), braced against a tree or limb, or in a stand, it is easier to hold briefly on that sweet spot, knowing a touch on the trigger takes game!

rayjay

Ernie the gunsmith sells lighter springs for the Xmark.

Buckhead

On my AR style rifles, I prefer single stage 3.5 - 4.5# triggers. With a pistol grip, seems lighter than it is. On my bolt actions, 2.5 - 3.5# seems right. I would rather have a heavier crisp trigger than a lighter trigger with creep.

Buckstop

I set all mine to 2 to 2.5lbs. This worked for me in all conditions. I just wear rag knit gloves with the thumb and trigger finger cut out of that glove in cold weather.

pdsniper

I have a 2.5 lb trigger on all my hunting and sniper rifles and I have made shots all the way out to 1800 yrds, I love the new Timney two stage triggers and highly recommend them for hunting they will defiantly help you from having an AD when a Big buck steps out, you are doing the right thing getting rid of that Remington trigger they have a long history of being unsafe and getting folks killed and the Xmark has had problems as well I have several Remington rifles none of them have a factory trigger on them they have either Huber's or Timney's