What went wrong

Brojbennett

Took my 5 year old on his first Turkey hunt this morning. We saw 5 turkeys, and I am trying to figure out why one didn’t come in. The first 4 were about 300 yards NW of us and they never really moved towards our decoys. The one that puzzles me is a Big Tom that moves from 300 yards NW of us. He went all the way across the field in front of us. He started out on our far left and went to our right. He paused and looked at our decoys for 10 mins and then Crossed the field coming towards us. He did not come straight to the decoys but came across the field about 80 yards south of us. I thought he was crossing the field and then going to come down the wood line to the decoys. However, we never saw him after he crossed. I called a little, but all 5 birds we saw this morning were silent. They didn’t respond at all to calls. What should I have done differently.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Not sure if that’s your decoys or birds...if it’s your decoys, want to reduce number to 2 at the most. Turkeys gonna be turkeys some days.

Brojbennett

Not sure if that’s your decoys or birds...if it’s your decoys, want to reduce number to 2 at the most. Turkeys gonna be turkeys some days.
Yeah, that’s my decoys. I had six or 7 out. I had wondered if that was part of the problem. The Tom circled all the way around us, I was certain he was coming in.

Mexican Squealer

Yeah, that’s my decoys. I had six or 7 out. I had wondered if that was part of the problem. The Tom circled all the way around us, I was certain he was coming in.

Turkeys often react “funny” to decoys. At times they can seem intimidated or they may just be stubborn and want the flock to come to them. I rarely use decoys but if I do, I put out a jake or single hen. Good luck.

six

I agree, pretty sure it was your decoys. If you opened the door to go into your local Wal-Mart and everyone inside was just standing in place not moving for 10 minutes, would you go on in?

Hillbilly stalker

Turkeys flock tight or stay close together when there is danger near or their rattled. I cant tell from the picture, that might be it or they could have had some hens in the shade of the power line on your side you couldn't see. And somedays the turkeys just win. The 1st four you saw were likely hens and there is a chance that tom has been whipped by the dominate bird in the area and might be afraid to gobble.

fullstrut

My decoys have not seen daylight in years . Used them about 3 about 20 years ago. But do they work yes . I just am more of a move around kinda of guy and decoys are more I have to carry. I've had way better without than with. But I understand totally with a younger kid that being mobile is not the best thing to do. I would say like others to limit to two. Maybe a Jake and a receptive hen. Just my .02 cents everyone has different styles of hunting. Good luck to you both. Good news is you both seen and have some birds to work. They can be scarce now a days.

Brojbennett

Thanks everyone! I will be back there tomorrow morning! Hoping to get another crack and I have already limited to decoy bag to two. When I killed my two Jakes, I only had a Jake and hen decoy out. I think I am going it set up where they came out at. Hopefully, I get a shot tomorrow. I am totally new to turkey hunting, but it is addictive. Especially when one walks on you. Thanks for the advice.

Juan De

Which way??? :sneaky:
I guess it would depend on the six ladies. I could think of 6 ladies that are celebrities real fast, that would have my undivided attention.