What would be the best attachment for the tractor for this?

notsob17

Ok, so we just had the first thinning on our pine trees. Either 3rd or 4th row, not sure. There is obviously an abundance of limbs, debris, etc in the rows that were cut. I am not able to burn the land. I was thinking something like a landscape rake set at an angle to leave the debris off to the side of the row may be best? I want to use the rows to plant food plots but also be able to drive my Ranger down without popping my tires and running over stuff. I don't own a landscape rake, but do have a box blade. I figured a rake may be best since I would be bound to catch some stumps that were in the rows. Is there anything else you all would recommend, or ideas?

Ideally I would like to get the spots cleaned up and sprayed before it turns too thick.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest a rock rake and going side to side to drag the debris out of the opening. Stump should rot out in 4 years or so.

rstallings1979

Some of the land is family land, some of it is my personal land, which I can burn.
Not sure of the family dynamics in front of you but good forestry (& wildlife) management is to cut a break after a recent thin and send a fire through it the following dec/january/feb when the weather dictates it. It would be the best thing you could do for the trees and the wildlife. What sprouts back up will be cheaper and possibly better than any foodplot you could plant.

notsob17

Not sure of the family dynamics in front of you but good forestry (& wildlife) management is to cut a break after a recent thin and send a fire through it the following dec/january/feb when the weather dictates it. It would be the best thing you could do for the trees and the wildlife. What sprouts back up will be cheaper and possibly better than any foodplot you could plant.

Yeah, that is what we do , and will do when we thin later this year, but on this particular tract (borders mine) I am not able to. I have thought about offering to pay to have it done. But yeah, the dynamics like you said.

I may just wait until next year when I can drive over everything (with the Ranger) without worrying about popping tires...and spray to kill everything.