What would you do...

DouglasB.

A little over a month ago, I busted up my right knee pretty good at work. Had to go to the ER night of, had x-rays, was told to schedule MRI and then go to Orthopedic Surgeon.

Well, Workmans Comp wasn't on par with that. Sent me to an Orthopedic Surgeon, who first said it was just a sprain who sent me to physical therapy.

3 weeks of physical therapy and the whole time my knee is still extremely swollen and in pain. Go back to the Ortho for a checkup, and he says it's a torn Meniscus, and FINALLY orders an MRI.

Again, workmans comp is in no rush... 2 weeks go by before I get scheduled for the MRI.

Just left the recap with my Ortho, and the final diagnoses? I managed to rip the cartiledge from the backside of my knee cap. Now a huge chunk of that is just floating around in my knee joint causing me all types of pain. My options? (And what I'd like to know what you would do.)

1.) Go in and take out the floater. 2 weeks recovery time. Bad thing, in 10 years I can expect arthritis to set in. Losing weight can help extend that 10 years.

2.) Cartiledge transplant. Recovery time 8 weeks. Extreme physical therapy. Afterwards it should be fixed.

Things to consider... I am the only breadwinner for my family. We are slated to move into a new house on September 1st. While workmans comp will pay for my lost wages, they will only pay my lost wages from the job it took place at, which is a part time job.

I'm honestly scared that we will lose our house if I have the big surgery... but from what I understand arthritis is pretty rough, too.

Cmp1

BANNED
Surgery,,,, I had knee problems once with the cartilage,,,, got one injection,,,, God awful pain,,,, never had pain again,,,, has been over 20 years,,,, get the surgery,,,,

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Pay the price now or pay the price later. Knee replacement because of arthritis isn't fun or quick.

Lukikus2

#1 for sure. #2 can be performed later and there are no guarantees it will be fixed. Right now I live with floaters and it's on again off again pain in a previously fixed knee.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Good luck in whatever you decide. The main thing is, get it repaired despite that rock and a hard place you are stuck in.

It's a tough situation and wish you the best of outcomes.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

snookdoctor

get a lawyer maybe able to recover your other lost wages. I hate lawyers, but i hate insurance companies more.

Workers Comp only covers the employer/employee where the person is on the job. They won't cover lost wages from other employment.

Get your knee fixed correctly while it's covered. You don't want to deal with this later.

DouglasB.

Has anyone had a transplant on their knee before? I'd like to know what to expect. I'm sure the doc will go over it with me at Pre-Op next week... but I feel like it would help the decision if I knew my "can's and can not's."

Thanks for all the insight, folks. I appreciate it.

snookdoctor

Most of your pain will be caused by the procedure. Therapy will be necessary to regain your muscle strength and joint flexibility, which takes time and effort on your part. Your activity should be limited by the amount of pain you can tolerate, which can be considerable due to the stress and movement that joint endures when you walk, sit, flex the leg.

Still, it would be much more tolerable than the pain/length of recovery if you have to replace the knee down the road due to arthritis.

nickel back

Workers Comp only covers the employer/employee where the person is on the job. They won't cover lost wages from other employment.

Get your knee fixed correctly while it's covered. You don't want to deal with this later.

x10000000000000000000000

SkintRider

First and foremost, find a great workers comp lawyer. Workers comp will jerk you around and around until you are past dizzy and plumb mad. You won't regret it. Experience talking. Slip and fall at work. Two operations, three discs in neck gone, metal plate holding four vertebrae together and have two more mashed flat now.
Never the same again.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Get the knee fixed. Don't get a lawyer. WC will offer a settlement before closing out your case, ask for more. You will get more. Lawyers mess up WC cases unless there is negligence and they drag them out longer. Lawyers are also restricted to what percentage they can charge for WC. Everything else pays them better. WC compensation is tax free and usually is very close to normal take home pay unless you have other deductions like insurance or retirement, which you will have to continue to pay out of pocket.

shootemall

If you get attorney make sure he or she works in that area of the law. You don't want a divorce or probate attorney taking your case because they CAN represent you, but CAN'T represent you well. Don't be intimidated either, lawyer doesn't mean smart, it only means he or she went to law school. Talk to several.
Make an educated decision. WC might offer x, a lawyer might get you x + y, but take 33-40%. Try to figure out which equals more: x or (x+y)/40. Ha! Algebra in the real world!

You have a beautiful family, so get it fixed now for their sake, and trust in the Lord.