What y’all think ?

Blackston

36C4C687-7D56-4D38-8F7A-C672D219C587.pngB0DF76B9-D5B3-4BF6-8CF6-292AD5C8C8D1.pngThis buck was killed in the county I hunt , He’s number 9 for his week .. Score seems like a low score ( I know pics and perspective of pics makes a big difference but I’ve killed a few 120” deer and they didn’t look like this ) What y’all think ? He’s Fine buck that I’d shoot every time he walked out !!!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
If he was scored as a typical, all about symmetry and deductions unless they just go by the gross score.

Boom all day long

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Deductions ?
I have 2 in the 140s and 2 in the 150s. If I thought to deduct asymmetry, I'd have 1 in the 130s and 1 maybe touching 150 I think. I guess the others would be culls. But I never checked that part.

catch22

thats the problem with "net" scoring. Dont know why it was adopted but further baffled why its still the "official" scoring way. Ive never met another hunter who cares about the net score.

As someone stated above...I too killed a deer that grossed 150'...but because of a couple extra points, he netted like 138"....

Nets are for fish in my opinion

to the OP....thats a great buck!!!

Jim Boyd

We hear this all the time.

Nets are for fishing.

I too use gross - but…

B&C and P&Y are in charge of final scores and if you want to play - and be in the books - you play by their rules.

Does not diminish my deer in my eyes (I do not have any mounts but I screw the antlers to the barn joists) and I can recall each one with clarity.

I will say this also - many have faded from my memories and they are the ones I did not bother saving the antlers from.

I had a wall down in GA with 10-15 on there and I think most have been used for projects… or the dog needed something to gnaw on!

catch22

We hear this all the time.

Nets are for fishing.

I too use gross - but…

B&C and P&Y are in charge of final scores and if you want to play - and be in the books - you play by their rules.

I understand what your saying @Jim Boyd .....and I didnt go back to look when those organizations were founded or started scoring....but I imagine it was a LONG time ago. Maybe symmetry was sought after back then. Everyone can change...maybe they should look into changing their practices??? Its ok to challenge or question the status quo. Certainly those are the rules in practice now and like you said...we gotta live with them.....Im just advocating for a change.

Jim Boyd

Great thoughts.

I am not sure how change could be affected. Never really thought about it because unless I killed a 170+, I have no desire to have one officially scored.

I have no idea how an “even match” became desirable.

What makes me laugh, however - is when people say they do not care about BC PY and then go on a rant about deductions.

If you don’t care, you don’t care!!!

Josh B

I’ve killed a similar buck. No mass and not much spread. The one I killed looks great from the side.

alwayslookin

Is that a split g2 on the left side? I agree with AntH, gross score would be much higher. He's a fine buck for sure.

DAVE

I killed a 100 inch buck, but if he had longer tines, longer beams and more mass he could have been a 150 inch buck. I think you should be able to double the score because he surely would have added some inches if only he could have had a chance.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you don’t care, you don’t care!!!

That would be me and if that buck walked out in front of me he's definitely getting a free ride in the bed of my truck.