Where to hunt in coastal Georgia

outdoorman

My son is coming home for a visit in early October and we plan to go fishing and hunting.
Anyone recommend some public (WMA) areas not far from Savannah? Don't want to go to Ft Stewart since I'd have to pay for the annual permits for just a couple days of use.
Any WMAs where it's a really good chance of getting on some hogs without getting lost in the middle of a swamp?
Also, can you hunt hogs with a centerfire outside of large game season?

Blackston

Richmond hill wma I suggest oak level rd close to the marsh when high tide falls right at dusk

outdoorman

Also since it's small game season, well have to use rimfire.
I've got a couple of Marlin bolt action rifles in 22 Magnum that I could use.
Any thoughts on bullet type? fmj, jhp??

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Also since it's small game season, well have to use rimfire.
I've got a couple of Marlin bolt action rifles in 22 Magnum that I could use.
Any thoughts on bullet type? fmj, jhp??

That’s what you want, and just make sure you have good life on your phone battery for GPS IF YOU NEED IT. You can ge turned around in a heartbeat out there. I have a mix of TMJ and poly tips, but keep the TMJ in the chamber typically. Good luck and post us up some pics!!

Curvebow05

Most WMA's have hogs. Spot and stalk with a bow is a lot of fun. Almost all have thick areas and open bottoms to hunt. Get in and use the wind and just go for a slow quiet walk. Use some binos and pick apart cover if you're going in the middle of the day and catch them snoozing. If you get into a bunch and get busted be ready for a heart attack. Normally you'll see one or two and 6 more will explode around you. Gets the heart going some.

strothershwacker

Anywhere round the Altamahaw. Plenty of public land down there. Tall rubber boots are a must have item. Don't overlook the small ones like Clay Hole. I'm a mountain guy but when yer flushin' wood ducks outta the road with yer truck you know the hog huntins fixn to get good. I baptized a toyota truck down there last time I went. Missed 6 hogs before connecting on a lil 50# boar. Fun stuff!

b rad

My son is coming home for a visit in early October and we plan to go fishing and hunting.
Anyone recommend some public (WMA) areas not far from Savannah? Don't want to go to Ft Stewart since I'd have to pay for the annual permits for just a couple days of use.
Any WMAs where it's a really good chance of getting on some hogs without getting lost in the middle of a swamp?
Also, can you hunt hogs with a centerfire outside of large game season?

best wma for hogs is altamaha wma buffola island bout a mile half walk down the to the river bottom full of hogs int he thick palmettos just have to walk through it they will scatter