New to public land in the Savannah area

aworth117

In the 2023 season, I am looking to get into public land hunting for turkey and deer around the Savannah area. I was unable to renew my hunting lease so now i'm considering trying out Oliver Bridge, Richmond Hill, Ft Stewart, and Canoochee Sandhills WMA. I am not looking for spots, but I would like to hear others' opinions or advice on these WMAs. I also run the Savannah wildlife refuge a good bit. I have heard Richmond hill and FT Stewart are fairly heavily hunted. I plan on doing a bit of scouting before turkey season this year to get a lay of the land. Does anyone know the road conditions or if there is a better way to cover ground on these WMAs?

outdoorman

Hey aworth117
Did you ever hunt Ft Stewart? What is your experience like?
I'm a relative novice when it comes to hunting and live near Ft Stewart.

175rltw

BANNED
Generally speaking you want to target a water way, or a pine/ hardwood transition, you can find them by looking at the aerial imagery. And then key in on the ones the furthest from
The gate/ parking area. These deer don’t get big to
Speak of. This one was 200 yards from high tide line.
5.5 years old eating pine straw and palmetto and drinking brackish water.

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    915 KB · Views: 34

outdoorman

Generally speaking you want to target a water way, or a pine/ hardwood transition, you can find them by looking at the aerial imagery. And then key in on the ones the furthest from
The gate/ parking area. These deer don’t get big to
Speak of. This one was 200 yards from high tide line.
5.5 years old eating pine straw and palmetto and drinking brackish water.
Nice! and thanks for the advice on where to target. I'm leaning toward the WMA's only because I don't like having to check in/out and worrying about walking into a closed area on Ft Stewart.
Do you think Richmond Hill WMA's could be worthwhile hunting?

kingfish

If it were me, I'd go to Ft. Stewart and never look back. Memorize the rule book twice, be ready to roll with everything that comes with hunting a military property, and start scouting. WAY too much game in there not to take advantage of living that close to it.