Naive rookie pig hunter

sprewett

This has been my rookie year hunting pigs. I was naive to believe it was gonna be a cake walk. Soon as deer season was over I took to it till Feb 28th. I have found so much sign, wallows, and mudded trees. I have most likely covered more than 200 miles of hills and valleys since I undertook my "easy" bbq. It has definitely been sobering how difficult locating pigs can be on public land. I only actually seen one sounder this year and got busted before I could send one to a dirt nap. Turkey season is here and I was ecstatic to once again chase the elusive pigs, but I have to get more food for my effort. As fun as it is chasing hogs on public land I am clocking out to load the freezer down with fish.
You guys that kill hogs on public land you have much respect from me it is no easy undertaking.

Big7

The Oracle
Diesel fuel is your friend. 5 gallons will do the trick.

I ain't never tried it on public land but it will draw and keep them around like nothing else.

Guess you could argue it's not bait since it ain't food.

EDIT: Did a quick search and found this.
I have used diesel but not motor oil.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Pig huntin' on public always involves more stompin' around than killin'.

Around these parts, we usually ride the roads till we see some, and then try to get after em on foot.

It ain't easy, but sometimes you get lucky.

Around here a group may cover several miles a day. You just gotta be where they are, not where they were three hours ago... :bounce:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

I ain't never tried it on public land but it will draw and keep them around like nothing else.

Diesel fuel works, but don't get caught with it on public land. Also, you gotta wash a oily pig you wanna eat VERY good before you try to skin him...

A quart of Dawn is about what it takes, and it's no easy task washin' a dead hog...

dang

DANG !!!
To the op …stay after them. Persistence & consistency kills. Wind and thermals in your favor and keep on keepin on. Every mile you clock will be one mile closer to your first. I’m not a hog killer like some of these guys but I luck into a few chances each year. I usually hear em before I see em for what it’s worth

Hillbilly stalker

1. The wind is your greatest foe.
2. When you find real hot pig sign.....your 1 day late.
3. When you find alot of pig scat from 1 day to several days old...they are close, usually within 75-100 yards has been my experience. Pigs wont dump in their bed, but quickly relieve themselves when they get up.
4. The more ground you cover he better the odds, use your nose and ears. They are very noisy when they are jockeying for position to lay down and make alot of noise getting up. Grunting, squealing and fighting.

It aint easy, you have to enjoy the hunt, a WMA hog is alot smarter than any deer.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
To the op …stay after them. Persistence & consistency kills. Wind and thermals in your favor and keep on keepin on. Every mile you clock will be one mile closer to your first. I’m not a hog killer like some of these guys but I luck into a few chances each year. I usually hear em before I see em for what it’s worth
I usually smell them first, but I know you do to! I might go see if I can find them starting May 1……I’ll be In their house anyway!

McStay

I have 100 miles easily on foot on base since October. Only seen a few driving... some of those were huge. I always tell myself "they are one level swampier than you are willing to go". I love it though, had opportunities on the ground for deer during season, have seen pairs of bobcats hunting, aligators... I am bow only and so far it has not mattered one bit. I love walking and have made the type of life choices that do not result in a Pickup truck with a full gas tank devoted to chasing hogs. Only change I am making is graduating up to good snake boots and a lighter bow to carry around. Got shut down due to "life problems" during pre spawn base bass and the best weeks for Hogs but I am back at it for Turkey season.
The WMA's near Darien that are open for Turkey, would be worth checking out also.
If you have a base pass and a full tank of gas devoted to chasing hogs/bass... Pick me up in Hinesville.

sprewett

@NCHillbilly what you say about crap makes sense. The one sounder I came across (30) there was poop everywhere. Soon as I found all the poop the pigs were about 60 yards away.
I love the chase and the exercise I get. Not to mention all of the beauty of Gods creation I get to see. I ain't quitn' just got get about 100 lbs of fish in the freezer then the pursuit will continue. Thanks for all you guys advice.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I saw your title and thought to myself "He must be talking about me!" I tell everyone that North GA public pig hunting is just armed hiking. South GA is much better, but it still ain't easy...

I, like you, thought it would be a little easier and took to hunting hard after last year's deer season. Found heavy sign in North Ga; no pigs. Found so much sign I didn't know what to do with in South GA, but still no pigs. Then when the season is out, I stumble upon them two weekends in a row in North GA (found about 15-20 of them with crap all over the place the 2nd time.) Did more of the same this year, but still no luck.

But I get to spend a day in the outdoors reflecting on recent deer and squirrel hunts, and I learn something every time I go out, so it ain't all bad.

Last edited:

jbogg

There is so much pig sign in some areas in the mountains that you would think you would see them every time, but my sightings are few and far between. It seems like during the day they will often times lie up in some of the thickest, nastiest, Rhododendrum and mountain laurel thickets. It can be tough sledding. Finding a good food plot that they are currently visiting is sometimes the best strategy to wait them out.

bany

There is so much pig sign in some areas in the mountains that you would think you would see them every time, but my sightings are few and far between. It seems like during the day they will often times lie up in some of the thickest, nastiest, Rhododendrum and mountain laurel thickets. It can be tough sledding. Finding a good food plot that they are currently visiting is sometimes the best strategy to wait them out.
They love the greens! Usually that food source isn’t brought up.

sprewett

There is so much pig sign in some areas in the mountains that you would think you would see them every time, but my sightings are few and far between. It seems like during the day they will often times lie up in some of the thickest, nastiest, Rhododendrum and mountain laurel thickets. It can be tough sledding. Finding a good food plot that they are currently visiting is sometimes the best strategy to wait the

@NCHillbilly what you say about crap makes sense. The one sounder I came across (30) there was poop everywhere. Soon as I found all the poop the pigs were about 60 yards away.
I love the chase and the exercise I get. Not to mention all of the beauty of Gods creation I get to see. I ain't quitn' just got get about 100 lbs of fish in the freezer then the pursuit will continue. Thanks for all you guys advice.
Whoops sorry tagged the wrong person. @Hillbilly stalker

sprewett

My evening shenanigans:
Decided to go after hogs again. I really want to spend as much time on Pine Log as I can before it closes for good on May 15th. Wanted to go sit over a big wallow in an area that I believe is visited daily by pigs. There is a well worn trail, mudded trees so fresh the mud is still wet, poop, and trees that appears like they were rubbing their tusks on them. So off I went with my new to me climber stand, which I might add I have never put together or messed with, while I was walking in the wind suddenly changed and something ran off. The place I went is only about half a mile from the car on the edge of the power lines. I get there and start to try and figure out my climber. No joke after no less than 20 minutes I finally got it fastened to the tree. I never hunt out of climbers so I really should have practiced ahead of time. Once I was finally situated and had mad more noise than a Chinese marching band I was ready to look for any animal that might be deaf. I never saw any pigs just squirrels and heard some turkey. It was still an amazing afternoon in the woods at a place I will truly miss when it is gone.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
You don't need a climber. You gotta keep them boots on the ground and the wind in your face. Keep at it and you'll get on em eventually.
I've been spotted by pigs before several times. As long as you have good wind and are still; they'll eventually go back to doin whatever they was doin so you can either get closer or take your shot. If they catch any of your scent; You may aswell start huntin for another sounder. Hunting the wind is key.

jbogg

I took a buddy bear hunting with me opening week of archery season a few years ago. We were going to be hunting a white oak ridge that was above a sorghum plot that had recently been demolished by the bears and pigs. As we got to the backside of the plot I heard a pig squeal in the corner of the plot around 50 yds away.

We stood still for a few moments until we could make out a couple of pigs, working their way down the edge of the plot in our direction. We were both hunting with crossbows, so we sat down right where we were in the short sorghum stubble, and what turned out to be a sounder of eight or 10 pigs walked within 10 yards of us before my buddy shot the lead pig. Could not believe that we were sitting right out in the open and not a single set of eyes saw us. The wind was right and we were sitting still.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like you are having a great time and doing everything right . I’d suggest putting in as much effort at the beginning of small game and archery season as you have lately . They are much easier to find/kill when us humans have been out of the woods for several months .