Naive rookie pig hunter

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Yes sir I've been carrying my 30-06 since the 16th. I haven't had much of a chance to go this week yet. Hopefully tomorrow evening. Thanks about the orange I was curious actually because I couldn't find anything to specify.
It's kind of tucked away on the "General WMA Regulations" on page 42:
Screenshot_20230524_235655_Samsung Notes.jpg
Best of luck to you; keep us posted!

sprewett

Just curious , are these WMA’S open year round for hog hunting ?
No, sir. I started during small game season with 22 then had a lull between it and turkey. During turkey season hunted with a bow, and now there is the coyote season from May 16th till the 31st. Then it's done on public land at least for me around here. Next time I will hunt will be Sept 9th and I sure won't be chasing hogs, deer will be the hunted then.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No, sir. I started during small game season with 22 then had a lull between it and turkey. During turkey season hunted with a bow, and now there is the coyote season from May 16th till the 31st. Then it's done on public land at least for me around here. Next time I will hunt will be Sept 9th and I sure won't be chasing hogs, deer will be the hunted then.
Thanks , after I asked I looked at our regulations book and figured it out . Good luck these last few days . If it’s open the first few weeks of small game season would probably be a great time to get some pork before the woods get polluted with people !

I took a buddy bear hunting with me opening week of archery season a few years ago. We were going to be hunting a white oak ridge that was above a sorghum plot that had recently been demolished by the bears and pigs. As we got to the backside of the plot I heard a pig squeal in the corner of the plot around 50 yds away.

We stood still for a few moments until we could make out a couple of pigs, working their way down the edge of the plot in our direction. We were both hunting with crossbows, so we sat down right where we were in the short sorghum stubble, and what turned out to be a sounder of eight or 10 pigs walked within 10 yards of us before my buddy shot the lead pig. Could not believe that we were sitting right out in the open and not a single set of eyes saw us. The wind was right and we were sitting still.
That's exactly what happened with me. I was bear hunting during archery season and found some great bear sign in a thick white oak saddle. I came back the next morning and set up my tree climber right in the middle of the thickest brush I could find in that same saddle. Right after first light, this big boar came by and I stuck him with my crossbow. He ran 50 yards and skidded to a stop partway down the ridge.

Hopefully I can return to that spot this year for a bear or another pig.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-25 150422.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-25 150422.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 38

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That's exactly what happened with me. I was bear hunting during archery season and found some great bear sign in a thick white oak saddle. I came back the next morning and set up my tree climber right in the middle of the thickest brush I could find in that same saddle. Right after first light, this big boar came by and I stuck him with my crossbow. He ran 50 yards and skidded to a stop partway down the ridge.

Good looking hog ! Joker had a mouthful of cutters

Thetrooper

That thing is a tank

Woodshound

Following - I'm going to go hog hunting for the first time the coming season and have spent the last year and a half ish doing the hiking, scouting, tracking part in the mountains.

I have learned that hogs up there roam all over seemingly all the time - even almost to the top of Brasstown - but catching them in one place at one moment is a whole other thing. I was able to find a couple of creek/trib sources where some some (?!) were consistently active. One was surrounded by rhodo and steep, with no clear shot; the other is on a less steep but rocky and mossy hillside, with deceptive embankments and slide piles accumulating downwards. I was basically on top of it before it took off.

One thing that confuses is me is that in the colder months, I have surprisingly found them high up on ridges with more than coincidental consistency - is this because colder air settles downwards? More likelihood of leftover forage higher up? I don't know ... but it was surprising that my cams on ridges got winter hits of hogs.

Hillsides w thicket, saddles, springs within a half mile or so of a little-used primitive hiking (not drive up) campsite also ain't a bad bet.

sprewett

Today's adventure was a bit different. I decided to take my son's mtn bike. I haven't been feeling the greatest for a couple weeks now and didn't really feel like hiking 6 or 7 miles today. I decided on the Log and took off. I went to a spot that I have seen hogs frequently until the last week of turkey season when I noticed somebody had been riding ATVs all over the place and around the gates. I suppose the hogs moved on but nonetheless I still go look. Wind wasn't favorable but my thought was if I see one out to 200 I will get a shot off before it smells me. Approximately 45 minutes of standing and glassing the cut over nothing so I took off for about an hour. Then, I came back to the same spot sat down to rest and watched a buck acting very strange. I have seen him one other time but today he was acting really weird. I thought maybe some hogs done got him stirred up, nope off in the distance I hear ATVs coming. It was two side by sides I figured my hunt was over at that point so I began to head out. Got back to truck to realize I forgot my backpack so back I went. Overall it was an awesome evening in the woods. Met a nice young man we swapped some Intel on hogs. (Well I just gave a long list of blunders) saw a hen and bunch of poults and 2 deer. Definitely a wonderful evening in God's beautiful creation.

jbogg

Today's adventure was a bit different. I decided to take my son's mtn bike. I haven't been feeling the greatest for a couple weeks now and didn't really feel like hiking 6 or 7 miles today. I decided on the Log and took off. I went to a spot that I have seen hogs frequently until the last week of turkey season when I noticed somebody had been riding ATVs all over the place and around the gates. I suppose the hogs moved on but nonetheless I still go look. Wind wasn't favorable but my thought was if I see one out to 200 I will get a shot off before it smells me. Approximately 45 minutes of standing and glassing the cut over nothing so I took off for about an hour. Then, I came back to the same spot sat down to rest and watched a buck acting very strange. I have seen him one other time but today he was acting really weird. I thought maybe some hogs done got him stirred up, nope off in the distance I hear ATVs coming. It was two side by sides I figured my hunt was over at that point so I began to head out. Got back to truck to realize I forgot my backpack so back I went. Overall it was an awesome evening in the woods. Met a nice young man we swapped some Intel on hogs. (Well I just gave a long list of blunders) saw a hen and bunch of poults and 2 deer. Definitely a wonderful evening in God's beautiful creation.
This is sounding familiar. When I started hunting pigs for the first time in the mountains around eight years ago it took quite a few trips to get my first. You make your own luck. Keep after them and you will get on them. Last fall I couldn’t get away from them no matter where I went.

sprewett

This is sounding familiar. When I started hunting pigs for the first time in the mountains around eight years ago it took quite a few trips to get my first. You make your own luck. Keep after them and you will get on them. Last fall I couldn’t get away from them no matter where I went.
@jbogg I tell ya I bet I have racked up over 200 miles this year chasing them rascals. Have seen a good many when I had my bow, which resulted in a few heartbreaks. Nonetheless it sure is fun and a great way to get exercise.

McStay

An update since my "life decisions" post earlier in this thread. Started exploring more and more of the base, The advantages of starting to drive more than walk to look for them were paying off. Started seeing more and getting some stalks in. Blew a 150gr Sevr broadhead right through kill zone on a Boar and learned just how tough they are. Was not able to retrieve it. Found the arrow the next week. So no more mechanical broad heads.
A week ago today I was 10 ish miles S.E. Of Ellabelle. The goal that day was to push through open units from Ellabelle down to home in Hinesville. There were some muddy spots, but I was getting out and checking them before trying to cross. I came up on one soft looking spot and tried to use momentum to push me across it. It was like riding over a motocross jump and into a deep hole filled with quick sand. 4 hour walk later, an angry Phillipino wife picks me up from the main base road to the south.
It took several attempts to take the jeep out, we found you make more progress if you do not take wives/girlfriends down into the "heart of darkness" C units. On Thursday after a long day of work in the Port city, we took a strong enough chain and shoveled enough that we got it out. I am now more addicted to spot/stalk bow hunting for Hogs than ever. I am literally going to have to put the jeep on jack stands wheels off to get all the mud out of the under carraige. But I know where the hogs are at, and I might just be out there on Sunday. Anybody want to go....?
Rock on Dudes!!!
Bill McStay USMC vet, Afghan in 04

sprewett

An update since my "life decisions" post earlier in this thread. Started exploring more and more of the base, The advantages of starting to drive more than walk to look for them were paying off. Started seeing more and getting some stalks in. Blew a 150gr Sevr broadhead right through kill zone on a Boar and learned just how tough they are. Was not able to retrieve it. Found the arrow the next week. So no more mechanical broad heads.
A week ago today I was 10 ish miles S.E. Of Ellabelle. The goal that day was to push through open units from Ellabelle down to home in Hinesville. There were some muddy spots, but I was getting out and checking them before trying to cross. I came up on one soft looking spot and tried to use momentum to push me across it. It was like riding over a motocross jump and into a deep hole filled with quick sand. 4 hour walk later, an angry Phillipino wife picks me up from the main base road to the south.
It took several attempts to take the jeep out, we found you make more progress if you do not take wives/girlfriends down into the "heart of darkness" C units. On Thursday after a long day of work in the Port city, we took a strong enough chain and shoveled enough that we got it out. I am now more addicted to spot/stalk bow hunting for Hogs than ever. I am literally going to have to put the jeep on jack stands wheels off to get all the mud out of the under carraige. But I know where the hogs are at, and I might just be out there on Sunday. Anybody want to go....?
Rock on Dudes!!!
Bill McStay USMC vet, Afghan in 04
Man if I was closer I would meet up with ya after church on Sunday. North Georgia is a long ride to the base. I hope you stick one, be safe, and most of all have fun. In regards to stuck truck a plan well put together seldom makes for great stories.

McStay

You have started the Naive Rookie Pig Hunter Nation. Soon we will be discussing where to find budget snake anti venom in Mexico. It is easier to hunt the Darrien area WMA's with the Honda Civic I will now be operating out of till the wife cools down. I will share my. Adventures on this thread until it is time to Start the Naive Rookie Alligator Hunter thread. I will make it to the North for fly fishing eventually, your stories are motivating, good luck, stay safe.

Attachments

• 0CC5D0EC-BE95-45C0-B6C3-9FF05B6BE45A.jpeg
    0CC5D0EC-BE95-45C0-B6C3-9FF05B6BE45A.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 15
You going out tomorrow? I hit the Log today, found lots of fresh signs deeeeeep in the woods. Also accidentally walked up on someone's hammock spot . Too bad since it was the perfect vantage point.

sprewett

You going out tomorrow? I hit the Log today, found lots of fresh signs deeeeeep in the woods. Also accidentally walked up on someone's hammock spot . Too bad since it was the perfect vantage point.
Dawg gone I just saw this. I would have tagged along. I went to Paulding Forest after church today.
Next year let's get together and get after em' if the log is still there.

Last edited:

sprewett

Welp that's a wrap for chasing hogs until next small game season. Wednesday is the final day but I will not be able to get out anymore. It has been an amazing year with lots of learning. I have chased em with a 22lr, bow, and 30-06. Although I didn't kill one I don't count the season as a failure for a multitude of reasons.
Since December I have literally worn out the soles on a pair of nice boots. I tracked my miles many days and I accumulated well over 200 since I began chasing this year. I have climb hills so steep I had to pull my self up with trees, I have fallen down a cliff thankfully to be caught by the crotch with a saw briar, I have gotten on my hands and knees crawling through pigs tunnels in the thick stuff ( I know pretty stupid), I have seen a ton of deer many of which I walked right up on without them busting me, seen plenty of turkey, a bobcat, and who knows what else that I can't remember. I have had the heart ache of not being able to get in range with my bow and watch the pigs take off, I have been with in range but wanted to sneak a bit closer only for the wind to change and they ran off, and I have came up on them only to find out my 22 was broken and wouldn't fire thanks to my son.

I have learned this year that they are crazy nomadic there for a day and completely gone the next. I have found that in the thick stuff they do have travel corridors though, I learned to not discount the highest mountain around because they will be up there, I have grown to respect their noses, and most of all I have learned the most valuable lesson to remember that hunting isn't always about killing but the journey. (Although my wife is tired of eating deer and fish)
So with pig chasing coming to an end it's time to catch fish, jugging, limb lining, and frog gigging.
See y'all men next year, Lord willing. And like that big ole guy in the Green Mile said, "I tired boss".

I really appreciate all the tips and tricks given out for free to me this year. I took most all of them into account.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Welp that's a wrap for chasing hogs until next small game season. Wednesday is the final day but I will not be able to get out anymore. It has been an amazing year with lots of learning. I have chased em with a 22lr, bow, and 30-06. Although I didn't kill one I don't count the season as a failure for a multitude of reasons.
Since December I have literally worn out the soles on a pair of nice boots. I tracked my miles many days and I accumulated well over 200 since I began chasing this year. I have climb hills so steep I had to pull my self up with trees, I have fallen down a cliff thankfully to be caught by the crotch with a saw briar, I have gotten on my hands and knees crawling through pigs tunnels in the thick stuff ( I know pretty stupid), I have seen a ton of deer many of which I walked right up on without them busting me, seen plenty of turkey, a bobcat, and who knows what else that I can't remember. I have had the heart ache of not being able to get in range with my bow and watch the pigs take off, I have been with in range but wanted to sneak a bit closer only for the wind to change and they ran off, and I have came up on them only to find out my 22 was broken and wouldn't fire thanks to my son.

I have learned this year that they are crazy nomadic there for a day and completely gone the next. I have found that in the thick stuff they do have travel corridors though, I learned to not discount the highest mountain around because they will be up there, I have grown to respect their noses, and most of all I have learned the most valuable lesson to remember that hunting isn't always about killing but the journey. (Although my wife is tired of eating deer and fish)
So with pig chasing coming to an end it's time to catch fish, jugging, limb lining, and frog gigging.
See y'all men next year, Lord willing. And like that big ole guy in the Green Mile said, "I tired boss".

I really appreciate all the tips and tricks given out for free to me this year. I took most all of them into account.
Find you some private land and hunt pigs all summer! Lot of folks would happy for you to come kill some. Sounds like you hit it hard. Sounds like my bear season too. Hit it really hard with no luck but the learning curve was invaluable.

McStay

Your season wrap up is very well written.
There is a lot of really cool stuff in GON if you look.
I took some base roads home from work yesterday,
had a little muddy spot in the road and was understandably concerned about getting stuck... again.... immediately get the feeling that I need to watch for hogs and forget about the mud. Came to a stop, looked out at passenger side ditch. 10 yards ahead is the type of boar I have been hunting for months, he gives me enough time to ponder my mistake and then bolts across the road and dives into a creek. Phone lights up, wife telling me dinner is getting cold.

Last edited:

sprewett

Just read that all access to Pine Log is done after today. I am so glad I have got to rack up more than a couple hundred miles this year at the Log. I will sure miss that place. I am thankful that I have two more WMAs really close to my house and national forest only about an hour away.
I sure hate to see us lose some public land, especially 14,000 acres but I also understand the point of view from the land owner he wants what his land is worth.