Which hunt? Early bear only Chestatee vs Cohutta buck/bear?

chrislibby88

So I’m stuck in a hard spot. My brother and I are trying to decide if we want to hit the Chestatee bear only hunt at the end of Sept, or the Cohutta bear/buck in early Oct. We have a camper in Blairsville with full amenities, a shower, fridge and microwave at the top of the list. We are also very familiar with Chestatee and I already have some good spots to start with. Cohutta is all new territory, we’ve never hunted there before. The biggest draw is that bucks are on the menu.
My real question is how good or bad is the buck movement on Cohutta in early Oct? I’m guessing it’s gonna be mostly pre-rut activity-bed to food. Is it worth starting from scratch for the chance at bucks, or should we stick with bears on Chestatee?

Christian hughey

Depends on what your after. You want bear I would say go chestatee early. You want a mountain buck go cohutta, follow the acorns just stay out my spot. Lol, I think bear at cohutta or anywhere would be better early. Good luck this year guys I'm itchin bad to throw some arrows!!!

chrislibby88

Chestatee it is. I’m gonna make it to Cohutta eventually though. Turkey season might be a good time to start

jbogg

Chestatee it is. I’m gonna make it to Cohutta eventually though. Turkey season might be a good time to start

Hunting Chestatee early will give you the opportunity to get a sneak peek at one of those big mountain bucks that you and your brother will come back and kill later in the fall. ?

chrislibby88

Hunting Chestatee early will give you the opportunity to get a sneak peek at one of those big mountain bucks that you and your brother will come back and kill later in the fall. ?
Man they likely won’t be in the same spot. Tadpole found a buck hub in a saddle last Sept, giant scrapes and some fresh rubs, a money spot for archery season. He went back in Dec and it was all dead.
On the flip side my best rut funnel was almost void of buck sign in Sept, but full of fresh rubs again in Dec.

I really just try to make note of any does I bump in Sept. They tend to stick to the same areas I’ve found.

blackbear

On the cohutta hunts is big frog off limits north of Jacks River to Beech Bottoms trail and below back into Ga. and the falls area?

chrislibby88

Planning to spend Tuesday-Sunday opening week of bow season on swallows creek. Would love to make it back up during a rifle hunt if the wife doesn’t have other plans for me!
My brother and I will be on Chestatee the 16th or 17th-21st. My buddy Laney will be there the week before and probably into the gun hunt too.

Last edited: