Which sub 10hp boat motor would you buy?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I bought an older 14 feet long aluminum jon boat awhile back and was trying to get an old Mercury engine running for it. Decided that’s gonna be a no win situation. Now I’m looking at new motors. I’m thinking a 4-stroke is the best, but what brand is the best. I’m partial to Honda, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been in the boating world. Mainly PFA’s and sloughs would be the fishing areas, I don’t plan on getting on any big water sources.

Redbow

I would buy a Yamaha I have a 25 hp Yammie 2007 year model its been bullet proof.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I bought an older 14 feet long aluminum jon boat awhile back and was trying to get an old Mercury engine running for it. Decided that’s gonna be a no win situation. Now I’m looking at new motors. I’m thinking a 4-stroke is the best, but what brand is the best. I’m partial to Honda, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been in the boating world. Mainly PFA’s and sloughs would be the fishing areas, I don’t plan on getting on any big water sources.

This place in Milledgeville has Yamahas on sale right now, I bought my 2019 25hp from them.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Have you considered one of those swamp runner kits with a harbor freight predator motor? I always thought one of those would be cool for down there.

Big7

The Oracle
About how much would a 9.9 cost?

My aluminum 15 foot V hull was loaned out to a so called "friend". He moved to Kentucky without anyone knowing it. Turns out he abandoned it at the lake he was fishing and it never made it back to me.

Anyhooo.. My next boat will be a Lake Juliette which is 25hp max and some other lakes like Rutledge, etc.. So, I'm prolly going to buy a 9.9 if they are reasonable. I wouldn't buy a used boat moter

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.

My aluminum 15 foot V hull was loaned out to a so called "friend". He moved to Kentucky without anyone knowing it. Turns out he abandoned it at the lake he was fishing and it never made it back to me.

Anyhooo.. My next boat will be a Lake Juliette which is 25hp max and some other lakes like Rutledge, etc.. So, I'm prolly going to buy a 9.9 if they are reasonable. I wouldn't buy a used boat moter
Under 3k is what I’ve been seeing.

Big7

The Oracle
Under 3k is what I’ve been seeing.
Dang! That's a LOT for a small boat motor.
I guess everything has gone up since I had boats.

My last real boat was a 17.5 Tracker with a 40hp Johnson 2 stroke. It was nice but I couldn't keep in clean even with a fitted cover and bonnet for the motor. Wall to wall carpet.
Note to self: Never buy a boat with carpet.

I gave around 3k for it on a galvanized roller trailer. Maybe the trailer was worth more than the boat. Had it over 10 years. Sold it to a friend where I could supposedly go with him everytime he went out if I wanted to go. Haven't seen him or the boat since.
Needless to say, EVERYTHING FROM NOW ON WILL BE 100% ABOUT ME!

My next one will be small enough to fish Juliette and Rutledge size lakes and still be big enough to put in Oconee during the week so I won't have to deal with wakes from 300hp Bass boats.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro

I'd get at least a 15 and 9.9 stickers for lakes like high falls etc.

flconch53

Tohatsu makes most small motors and Yamaha buys their lower units etc on larger motors from mercury. I bought a small mercury last year runs just fine. Shop for best price and definitely a 4 cycle

JJJSDAD

Suzuki for me Had Honda for 15 years no problem son had Suzuki I liked it purchased suzuki 25 hp with all the bells and whistles less expensive than a Honda. Have heard good views about Tohatsu. Take your pick

paulito

we got rid of all of our yamahas at work. had nothing but issues keeping them running. this was 6hp and under motors. ive had no issues with 25hp and up yamahas.

we have gone to all mercury/tohatzu and the seem to be a bit more robust. we actually bought 2 tohatzu motors this year that run on propane. the jury is still out on those. less carb issue but the guys liked having an internal fuel tank instead of having a fuel line hooked to the motor. plus the motor is white which is weird. ha.

I'm sure you know but try and run nothing but ethanol free fuel and you've won half the battle.

TomC

I will never become a member of the Mercury rowing team but in a small engine I'd buy a Tohatsu or a Mercury and I only say Mercury because it really isn't a Mercury. The small Mercury engines are actually rebranded Tohatsus. I had a small Yamaha on a Riverhawk which was GREAT but in a little engine I'd just save some $ and get a Tohatsu! You can probably buy a Dobyns rod or two based on the cost savings over the Yamaha!

Last edited:

Beagler

There all good engines, I think it comes down to personal choice, I’d be looking at the price, also which dealer provides the best customer service and carry’s parts. BTw I am parcial to Mercury’s myself.

Mud motor kit. If something goes wrong with the engine it will cost you 200 to replace….and you don’t have to deal with a repair shot because it’s a trip to harbor freight and dozen bolts and your running again…..