White, Towns, Union, Rabun

buckpasser

Buckpasser,
There is no "likely down". Its the plain truth for the area "I" live in. Ive still been scraping out a bird or two each year. So im not pouting because im unsuccessful.

Ill extend the same offer to you I have everyone else in previous posts.

By the way I agree with your points of concern. At his point, im willing to give most anything a try though.

What was the offer again?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ill buy your gas, feed you and give you a bed to sleep in. You can show me where all the turkeys are. Deer too while your at it.

buckpasser

Ill buy your gas, feed you and give you a bed to sleep in. You can show me where all the turkeys are. Deer too while your at it.

Ha! Can I just come up and fly fish on those terms? I don’t doubt it’s tough up there.

The mtn man

Maybe 2nd in line along with 3rd in line didn’t know they where out of the pecking order and was off with the sisters to the other hens in a different area. ??
Serious question; how big is this area that ONLY ONE-GOBBLER breeds in. let me say this. Turkeys range more than deer. Last time I checked they have wings. They can fly from tree to tree and a ways. They walk all day. that’s why at winter u see them. Tons in a group. Hens in another. Then they Gon. Spring time. They fly across major roads, rivers & swamps in a heart beat.
Guess I’m a big dummy. ?
Yea, I get what your saying, but wild turkeys are not yard roosters, there is only one other game bird species that has the social structure of the wild turkey, and that is sage grouse.

The mtn man

I agree that they are likely down. I have a good friend in the mountains that is a very serious turkey hunter. He was bragging about hearing “teen” gobblers ten years ago at a certain GA mountain. It’s down now. He still easily tags out each year and shoots some TN and NC border Toms too.

Here are some points of concern for me with the turkey doc theology:

GA is too large to properly manage with a single opening day
GA is too large and diverse to set a proper season limit STATEWIDE
Can DNR “fix” a supposed problem with hunting regs alone?

I wager they cannot...

But here’s the good news; turkeys will be back. Just as mysteriously as they disappeared, they will reappear with the next population cycle. This frantic plea by recently unsuccessful turkey hunters mirrors the emotions of the green movement folks to me. We only have 8 years to make drastic changes, or we’ll all be swimming in saltwater.
They didn't mysteriesly disappear, we are pretty sure why they were almost extinct.

buckpasser

They didn't mysteriesly disappear, we are pretty sure why they were almost extinct.

I’m not talking pre-restocking Sir. I’m talking about this go round. I feel strongly about it being possible for humans to over-hunt animals. In this case, where hens are NOT being killed, and Toms DON’T help raise poults, hunters are not to blame and can’t unhunt their way back to booming populations.