Who makes the best box call?

Hawghead

The latest call I received back in the summer was a butternut/walnut from Irving Whitt. Im about to order another one in the next few days if that tells you anything.

gobblergitter

One of the best sounding boxes I have is my Hustlin' Heb by Billy White. I may have lost it to my wife, however. That's okay. I've been wanting to invest in one of Jack Scott's calls. Everyone here is really high on them. I almost bought one a couple of years ago at a show. He is really a fine gentleman. That does it. I'm gonna get one this year.

Raven

Banned
gobblergitter said:
My bad. I meant to say Hustlin' Hen. Bad typo. Sorry.

I fell out of my chair when I read your first one, nice typo. I wondered why Billy was not being very PC these days.

LKennamer

Cutter is hard to beat!

Jack makes as good a call as there is...his is actually the only one box I carry anymore. I used to use a personalized Neil Cost, but that one is retired now to a safe place. Jack's calls combine that rare feature of being not only great sounding, but very beautiful. Plenty of others have one or the other, but not both. And his wife makes some of the best cookies I've ever tasted! They're good people!

gobblinglawyer

Jack Scott does make a great call. I use mine every spring. I also like Darrin Dawkins, Steve Mann, Irving Whitt and Lamar Williams. It's really hard to pick a favorite.

gobbler10ga

I just stick with my longbox or one sider great lookin call Dave , My yellow cedar was a little flat ,But I ran it with a padauk paddle

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I did not see a price list on the web site. What one of jacks calls cost?

Gaswamp

GL, said it best in that it is hard to pick a favorite. I'd have to say that right now my favorite is a Bob Harwell Box call, because it has proven it self in the field consistently. However, I have been known to pick up a 30+ year old Lynch call every now and then too.

WbyMan

Scott's Cutter any Wood Combo, (Maple, Walnut and Birch my favorite)

Jerry White "Dad" (Cedar & Purple Heart)

Mr. Jack is a great guy and really does put "Hens" in those boxes. Money well spent! If you don't have a cutter get one or two. He can teach you a few tricks on how to run the thing also. They play real soft or loud and stay "Pure Turkey". Good Luck

rutandstrut

I do not think there is one best Box Call. There are three basic type of Box Calls: Long Box, Checkered Box and Short Box. You can also throw in Scratch Box Calls if you like. All of them have a purpose an all can be used from contact to harvest!

Here are some of the best that I have had a chance to use and/or own.

Long Box:

Lamar Williams, Mike Lapp, Steve Mann, Darrin Dawkins, Ed Terenfencko

Checkered Box: Mike Lapp, Albert Paul, Steve Mann, Bob Harwell, Darrin Dawkins, Jerry White, Ed Terenfencko, Marlin Watkins, Wendell Lancaster

hawaiian

Well, those are not the best box calls. But they are the best sounding box calls I've played and will be the first to go on the hunt with me and they are turkey for real.

turkeycalls006.jpg

Gaswamp

Well, those are not the best box calls. But they are the best sounding box calls I've played and will be the first to go on the hunt with me and they are turkey for real.

turkeycalls006.jpg

Yeah I think any one of those calls would be good in the vest. Very nice Hawaiian

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My "little" Sweet Music box always goes with me, when I hit the turkey swamp.

Hawken2222

Scott's Cutter any Wood Combo, (Maple, Walnut and Birch my favorite)

Jerry White "Dad" (Cedar & Purple Heart)

Mr. Jack is a great guy and really does put "Hens" in those boxes. Money well spent! If you don't have a cutter get one or two. He can teach you a few tricks on how to run the thing also. They play real soft or loud and stay "Pure Turkey". Good Luck

Does Mr. Jack have a shop, that you can visit, and try out his long boxes? I got on his website that Jody Posted, and tried to send him a message, but it wouldn't go through. I just got back on there and found a phone number I'll give him a call.

Last edited:

Dudley Do-Wrong

Mr Jack has a shop behind his house in Cochran; he makes calls all the time so I feel certain he would have some for you to try out.

WaltL1

Another vote for Jack Scott. His is the box that I have the most confidence in based on my results in the turkey woods. Theres a number of great call makers though so get as many different ones as you can and try them all out! :)

Latest posts