Who then is my neighbor?

StriperAddict

Universalism as well as Calvinism seem to persuade the Christian that there is no need for their efforts in this fight. It subtlety says lean on back and rest, yet that directly contradicts scripture.
Remember, the enemy was the most subtil of all the creatures in the garden.
I agree that both of those camps have gotten it pretty wrong! But I will have to say that the understanding of New Covenant rest is one of the most pivotal messages in the gospel and from it has brought me incredible joy excitement in the Lord. I've been on a mission to discover and walk in those wonderful Works he has prepared for me since then. Grace produces rest and works, they both go hand-in-hand relationally in Christ.

RCCBGG3

I agree, I love the peace. “Come to me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest”, so maybe It’s a poor choice of words on my part.
Yes, we fight from victory, yet we are still called to action, and that’s my concern with the aforementioned camps, they promote the idea of “why should I engage if we’re all going to be saved anyhow”, or “why should I engage if God is the one who picks who it is that will be saved”. To me, it’s a tactic of the enemy to render his opponents useless.

Last edited:

RCCBGG3

To weight in on the subject matter though...did Jesus answer the lawyers question, or address his issue?
Jesus describes to him what a neighbor is and then tells him to go be one. The hate for others that the lawyer was harboring does not align with Gods will: “for God so loved the world”. See also Acts chapters 8,9&10 (summed up at the end of 10:28)
“but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.“
& Revelations 7:9 “All people”

Artfuldodger

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Perhaps our enemy is our neighbor as well. God's rain falls on the unrighteous.