Who then is my neighbor?

Spineyman

We are not of this world but we are in this world, and the great commission is really not an option but a command. We are not all called to go into all the world, but we are all called to love our neighbor as ourselves. So in order to be salt and light, we have to be involved trying to reach the lost!

Spineyman

I couldn't agree more. Now that we've established that everyone is our neighbor, do we also agree that we are ALL members one of another, as stated in Eph.4:25? That's all I've been asking from the start.
I do not believe we are "ALL" members of one another. Those who are in Christ are! All one body, and one church. The Church of Jesus Christ! There are countless people who will hear the call of God, and will not respond. The great hymn... Why was I made to hear your voice, and enter while there's room. When thousands make a wretched choice , and rather starve than come!

welderguy

I'm not sure I agree that EVERYONE is our neighbor. I agree more with the idea Spineyman stated that "Our neighbor is anyone whom the Lord puts in our path." In carrying our the command to "Love your neighbor as yourself" we are accountable to love those who we come across personally. For most of us, that does not include most of the 6 billion people on the planet. But whether or not someone is our neighbor does not depend on whether they are a Christian.

I'm also reluctant to view "neighbor" as a technical term with the exact same meaning in Ephesians 4:25 as in the account of the good Samaritan. When Paul writes in Ephesians 4:25 that "we are all members of one body" the key question is who is the pronoun "we" referring to? In this context, it is not including unbelievers, but rather it is only including the explicit audience of the letter - "God's holy people." Light and darkness have no fellowship.

Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.” 2 Cor 6:17

I think that's kinda how the priest and the Levite saw it also. But Jesus indicated that they were not neighborly.
The Lawyer who asked Jesus "who then is my neighbor?" thought he could justify himself by distinguishing who was, and who was not his neighbor. He was taught by Jesus that was an error.

LittleDrummerBoy

I think that's kinda how the priest and the Levite saw it also. But Jesus indicated that they were not neighborly.
The Lawyer who asked Jesus "who then is my neighbor?" thought he could justify himself by distinguishing who was, and who was not his neighbor. He was taught by Jesus that was an error.

So YOU have 6 billion neighbors?

Tell us how YOU love them all as yourself.

welderguy

So YOU have 6 billion neighbors?

Tell us how YOU love them all as yourself.

As in one body.
As the Father is father of all (Eph.4:6), and is in all, and through all.
He calls us to love those of the household of faith AND to love our enemies. That doesn't seem to leave anyone out. Does it?

welderguy

Just for the record, I have never loved my neighbor. When I am told to love my neighbor, it does not indicate that I have the ability to do so.

No, not of yourself. But we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us. We are reflectors of his love. The love that lives within us.

Luke 7
47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

There is a provoking unto love and good works.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

How can we look at it through the eyes of Jesus? Who does Jesus love? Who does he forgive? Whose sins did he die for? Who is his neighbor?

Now if we are reflecting Jesus in loving our neighbor? If we are His image?

gemcgrew

No, not of yourself. But we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us. We are reflectors of his love. The love that lives within us.
Amen!

Whatever is inferred from the word "neighbor", whether it be all of mankind or brothers and sisters in Christ or even all creatures for that matter, I have very little interest in it.

The Believer is only as pure in God's mind, as Christ is pure.

Romans 8 comes to mind.

Spineyman

Amen!

Whatever is inferred from the word "neighbor", whether it be all of mankind or brothers and sisters in Christ or even all creatures for that matter, I have very little interest in it.

Romans 8 comes to mind.
Since Jesus gave it to us in the way of a commandment, then it should move all of us to find out what is meant by it.

Matthew 22:35-40

35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

welderguy

[/QUOTE]
Amen!

Romans 8 comes to mind.

Glenn, what's your take on Eph.4:6, which says God is "Father of all"?
Wouldn't this tie into the concept in Eph.4:25, "we are members one of another"?

Artfuldodger

Since Jesus gave it to us in the way of a commandment, then it should move all of us to find out what is meant by it.

Matthew 22:35-40

35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Well since it is given as a "commandment" it does seem to be important. I'm sure Gem is implying that whatever we do or whomever we love, is the work of God in us. Yet it's still given as a commandment.

gemcgrew

Whatever is meant by it does not help me. Even if I was able to convince myself that the word "neighbor" means only my wife, my son or my daughter, I failed miserably.

I fold.

welderguy

Using the criteria that some have expressed concerning Eph.4., which was that the writer was only talking to believers , and applying that same criteria to 1 John 2. Then in verse 2 it would appear that John is including ALL people. So now which is it? Anyone have any thoughts?

1 John 2:2
“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”

gemcgrew

Using the criteria that some have expressed concerning Eph.4., which was that the writer was only talking to believers , and applying that same criteria to 1 John 2. Then in verse 2 it would appear that John is including ALL people. So now which is it? Anyone have any thoughts?

1 John 2:2
“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
Not for the Jew only, but also for the Gentile.

The Jew first and also to the Gentile.

welderguy

Not for the Jew only, but also for the Gentile.

The Jew first and also to the Gentile.

That seems to fit, and I also used to embrace it as the simple answer. But not when I examine 2 Pet.2.
It speaks of some, for whom " the mist of darkness is reserved forever". "Cursed children".
But it also states that "the Lord BOUGHT them".

(They are spiritual gentiles)(un-born again)
...they are outside the kingdom, where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited: