Whopper Plopper

Dialer

I finally got the opportunity to purchase a couple of those “whopper plopper” lures from Cabelas, and went to the local reservoir to try ‘em out. I gotta say, I got ALOT of laughter from those GIANT lures. They were ridiculously large for ANY freshwater lake as far as I’m concerned. I think the reason I had ZERO luck with either lure, is because the things scared off all the fish! I bought the ones that they recommended, a cream colored one, and a brown one. The box for both say the weight is 1 ounce, and 4.25 in length. Bass being caught were biting small rubber baits, seemed they were terrified by th monster whopper poppers!

Coenen

I've had fish try to take down big topwaters that were too small to get it done. They don't own mirrors, they have no idea how big they are.

chriswkbrd

This was my first time fishing with one.

Btw, it only scares off the small ones ;)

Attachments

• 20160315_075517_1.jpg
    20160315_075517_1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62

BASS1FUN

MY FIRST TIME USING ONE WAS THIS WEEK AT A TOURNAMENT AND MY FIRST CAST AND 3 CRANKS I HAD MY FIRST WHOPPER PLOPPER BASS. I CAUGHT 1 THE NEXT DAY AND LOST 1 WITH A FEW BLOW-UPS ON IT, MINE WAS A CUSTOM PAINT JOB THOUGH

AceOfTheBase

Mine have caught embarrassing small fish too, a sunfish that was maybe an inch longer than the lure, as well as keeper bass.
Its my goto top water lure, until something better comes along..

BigGreenGoblin

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>They can be hit or miss, but when they hit...

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I have caught alot of fish with bream hooked in th e back freelined. I have caught a 1.5 lb bass on a 1lb bream. I have caught fish so small on bait so big that i hooked them withbthe spinesnof the baitfish not the hook itself. So i belive thy he big baits work

JakkBauer

I’ve had a 12 inch bass eat a full size Bull Rat in broad daylight.

You’re good with the big whopper plopper!
so youre saying there is a mini bullrat? or extra large bull rat!? that would be a nice thing to have xD

OP sounds like you throwing the 130s, try some 90s or 75s if you dont like the 130 and bust it back out once you get some confidence

Lawnmowerman

This little plopper has caught many fish, small to tad over 5#'s.
I picked this one up at Academy about 2 years ago, and finally got to test it just this year. It works,,!!

Attachments

• 20190601_065824plopper.jpg
    20190601_065824plopper.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 57

BeerThirty

I bought a couple a few years back when they were new to the scene. Never had much luck with them to be honest. I sure like the action of that propeller tail, but honestly, I have better luck with other topwater baits doing my traditional walk-the-dog technique. I've only fished them in shallow lakes for largemouth. I hear they do better on deep water with spots.

Bream Pole

Probably fishing technique. I've watched 5-6 videos and people catching fish like crazy. Seems steady fairly fast retrieve works.