Wild Bird Camp 9/1-9/15

Coach K

Tried a new place to start the season this year 9/1-9/13
It was very enjoyable and I am pretty sure the dogs had a wonderful time.
I will definitely be going back in the future (*God willing)

#1 - A buddy's 3 yr old, Ann, came through on a tricky sharptail.
#2 - Ace points a sharptail in the sage.
#3 - ''T'' has been looking to add Sage Grouse to his list of species he has successfully hunted.
(The old pro turned 12 yrs in July)
#4 - This little lady, Rose, pointed a couple sharptails that I was lucky enough to double on.
(The 2nd bird flew 100 yds before dropping out of the sky)
#5 - A group of successful dogs. Rhu' was the only pup who had been successful on Sage Grouse before this trip.
(One of these birds was turned into Philly Cheese steak type sandwiches) One of my better ideas on this trip.
Rhu'(L), had the 1st find w/ Ann(C) backing. Ace(R) had the solo point on the 2nd SGrouse.
#6 - We had success on 4 species this trip - Ruffed Grouse, Sage Grouse, Sharptail Grouse, & Hungarian Partridge (1 covey)
Unfortunately, we missed seeing any Blue Grouse which have eluded us the couple times we went hunting for them.
**Guess we will have to try for them next season**

Attachments

• Lanning's Anne - Montana Sharptail.jpg
    Lanning's Anne - Montana Sharptail.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210912_094824.jpg
    20210912_094824.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 57
  • ''T's'' Sage Grouse - #14.jpg
    ''T's'' Sage Grouse - #14.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Rose & Her Double Sharptail Grouse.jpg
    Rose & Her Double Sharptail Grouse.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Rhu's & Ace's SG (1).jpg
    Rhu's & Ace's SG (1).jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1st Montana Hun.jpg
    1st Montana Hun.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 57

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for posting. That looks like an excellent hunt for you an especially the dogs. If I’m going to get my GSP into enough birds to make a bird dog out of him, I believe that I’m needing to head west also.

Coach K

That is awesome. What was the typical daily temperature when you were out there?
It was warm and dry which has been typical for early Sept.
We try to get out at dawn when it's coolest and, of course, a couple hours before dusk.
We were satisfied with bird #'s, although, it was down from 2020.

Coach K

Thanks for posting. That looks like an excellent hunt for you an especially the dogs. If I’m going to get my GSP into enough birds to make a bird dog out of him, I believe that I’m needing to head west also.
Going out west is a definite plus. KS is another favorite spot.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Awesome! Love the pic of T with the grouse and Little Brown. Fun birds to shoot and the terrain is a far cry from Georgia’s briar and pine thickets. Carolyn snd I got to hunt them in Wyoming this year. Good to see you posting!

Latest posts