Will Science Someday Rule Out the Possibility of God?

panfried0419

I am close to those that believe in a 6000 year old world and militant atheist. I just believe we are living in God's 7th day. He has rested and the world evolves in his eyes. The evil that occurs are his tests of our faith in Him. Jesus was placed on this Earth to remind those there is a way to salvation. Trust me I have tried to explain my beliefs but neither side listens they just judge. I know who my savior is.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I am close to those that believe in a 6000 year old world and militant atheist. I just believe we are living in God's 7th day. He has rested and the world evolves in his eyes. The evil that occurs are his tests of our faith in Him. Jesus was placed on this Earth to remind those there is a way to salvation. Trust me I have tried to explain my beliefs but neither side listens they just judge. I know who my savior is.

Ya gotta go with what works for you.:cheers:

outdooraddict

I think I'm similarly aligned with you About God (perhaps not evolution)I just thought he had a witty comment. Don't get me wrong humor is no way to get around logic but it did make me chuckle.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I think I'm similarly aligned with you About God (perhaps not evolution)I just thought he had a witty comment. Don't get me wrong humor is no way to get around logic but it did make me chuckle.

Yes Dean Werner.........

Asath

Science doesn’t need to bother proving that God does not exist. Several thousand years of True Believers have already done that, by going through New and Improved Gods like Kleenex -- oppressing, controlling, and slaughtering in the name of that God, then abandoning it and moving on to the next one.

Now we have this relatively new-fangled God of Abraham, and we have the Jews (who thought it up), and the Christians (who took the idea and updated it to their own ends), and the Islamics (who took the updated version and both reversed it and re-imagined it), all trying to oppress and control and slaughter one another . . . But THAT isn’t enough all alone – so each of THOSE factions has broken into hundreds of competing factions internally, to the point that if the NHL merged with Professional Wrestling it would actually make more sense than organized religion does. Nice going.

When each and all of you make yourselves into strident fools, and each and all violently insist that it is the OTHERS who are actually the strident fools, and each and all of you have exactly the same PROOF of your claim – NOTHING – it might be time to wise up. We don’t have to prove that you are wrong. You’ve already done that.

Every single innocent person who has been tortured and killed under the flag of religious belief, of any stripe – and there have been tens of millions, and remain thousands and thousands every year even today – give the lie to any claims by any religion. NO GOD, no matter how cruel and no matter how psychotic, would declare a small part of His creation to be Chosen, and instruct them to convert, oppress, rule, tithe, wage war against, and kill the rest.

Apparently THIS God, Abraham’s God, has done just that. The Book says so.

End of Belief in God. Sorry folks – you killed your own God. The rest of us never had to lift a finger. Get over yourselves.

outdooraddict

Science doesn’t need to bother proving that God does not exist. Several thousand years of True Believers have already done that, by going through New and Improved Gods like Kleenex -- oppressing, controlling, and slaughtering in the name of that God, then abandoning it and moving on to the next one.

Now we have this relatively new-fangled God of Abraham, and we have the Jews (who thought it up), and the Christians (who took the idea and updated it to their own ends), and the Islamics (who took the updated version and both reversed it and re-imagined it), all trying to oppress and control and slaughter one another . . . But THAT isn’t enough all alone – so each of THOSE factions has broken into hundreds of competing factions internally, to the point that if the NHL merged with Professional Wrestling it would actually make more sense than organized religion does. Nice going.

When each and all of you make yourselves into strident fools, and each and all violently insist that it is the OTHERS who are actually the strident fools, and each and all of you have exactly the same PROOF of your claim – NOTHING – it might be time to wise up. We don’t have to prove that you are wrong. You’ve already done that.

Every single innocent person who has been tortured and killed under the flag of religious belief, of any stripe – and there have been tens of millions, and remain thousands and thousands every year even today – give the lie to any claims by any religion. NO GOD, no matter how cruel and no matter how psychotic, would declare a small part of His creation to be Chosen, and instruct them to convert, oppress, rule, tithe, wage war against, and kill the rest.

Apparently THIS God, Abraham’s God, has done just that. The Book says so.

End of Belief in God. Sorry folks – you killed your own God. The rest of us never had to lift a finger. Get over yourselves.

I guess you'll just have to read my prior posts. Thanks to the horrors of Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot you'll find you are going to have to give up on atheism also.

Last edited:

pnome

Science can answer many questions. But it can't answer the question "Why science?"

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Am I the only Christian that believes in evolutionary creationism?

Could you define that?

I believe in evolution and God. But I don't know if that lines up with your later comments about everything evolving in his eyes, and the 7th day stuff.

I believe God created the heavens and the Earth, and science explains "how," and the Bible explains "why."

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Science can answer many questions. But it can't answer the question "Why science?"

Why Science? by James Trefil

James Trefil coherently presents an argument that a basic understanding of science is necessary for individuals to take part intelligently in modern social & political discourse.

I would add religious discourse into the mix also.

panfried0419

Could you define that?

I believe in evolution and God. But I don't know if that lines up with your later comments about everything evolving in his eyes, and the 7th day stuff.

I believe God created the heavens and the Earth, and science explains "how," and the Bible explains "why."

You answered it! That's what I believe. Science defines Gods creation. It's just that there are some that cannot accept Science as part of everyday life. Our world is perfectly aligned in this solar system to provide life. Out of 8 planets this one. Why? Because of Him. The carbon element is the fingerprint of God. IMO. It seems that some Christians forget to think of the how and why. Christianity is based on accepting Christ as their Lord and Savior. Which I do believe. But His creation is also the most intelligent design.

outdooraddict

You bring up an excellent and most difficult question for the Christian. Why does God allow evil in the world or those that are morally wrong to exist. Why doesn’t He annihilate people at the first lie or when they cheat on a test (although I suspect this wouldn’t allow many to reach reproductive age and carry on the species)? Even more troubling, why does he allow a child to die of cancer? These are difficult questions for the Christian in my opinion. However, there is no point here for the atheist. If there is no God then there is no basis for right and wrong, only personal opinion. If there is no God then there is no evil. A child dying of cancer should be a point of rejoicing for the evolutionist who is happy to see the gene pool cleansed of inferior genetic material. The atheist is happy to see Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot kill millions because they serve their “father”, survival of the fittest. However since most atheists I know are “good” people, they don’t rejoice over these facts, they are saddened and know its “wrong”, they just can’t explain why. The atheist has a much more difficult problem than the Christian with this.

The Christian struggles with evil in the world, but the Christian God is not what the Muslim sees as God. The Christian God died on a cross to save the infidel while Muslims believe that the infidel should be destroyed. The infidel includes the Christian and the Jew, so I don’t think saying that they are all the same God makes sense propositionally. For two things to be the same, what is true of one must be true of the other. While people have killed in the name of Christianity, they violate the Christian beliefs. When one kills in the name of Islam, apparently they aren’t violating their moral code, and when an atheist kills they aren’t violating any rules, simply acting out evolutionary process.

Killing "in the name of God" doesn't make it consistent with christianity, it violates christian beliefs. Killing in the name of atheism however is just fine Asath! Why do you find killing anyone wrong, or is it just distasteful to you?

BANDERSNATCH

What men do with the idea of God has nothing to do with if He actually exists. Like I heard somewhere before...men building nuclear bombs has nothing to do with whether E=mc2.

outdooraddict

Here's my problem. If we claim God is only a social construct to help a society survive, then why do we complain when we perceive that it killed to advance a society/culture/beliefs survival. I don't think christianity does that but I'm not the one arguing against the killing.

If I am to believe that through a process of random events and survival advantage man evolved to such a high state of being that he can sit down at the pinnacle of success only to say "Science doesn’t need to bother proving that God does not exist" and " each and all of you make yourselves into strident fools" and use emotional babble and name calling instead of reason, and calm adult rational discourse, then I can only hope evolution has not reached the pinnacle but is only taking a rest stop. But hey, there's no reason to search for truth anyway because thoughts are mere random physical states and the ones that live on do so because of survival advantage, not truth.

There is no TRUTH! Is that true?

Last edited:

Four

Here's my problem. If we claim God is only a social construct to help a society survive, then why do we complain when we perceive that it killed to advance a society/culture/beliefs survival. I don't think christianity does that but I'm not the one arguing against the killing.

If I am to believe that through a process of random events and survival advantage man evolved to such a high state of being that he can sit down at the pinnacle of success only to say "Science doesn’t need to bother proving that God does not exist" and " each and all of you make yourselves into strident fools" and use emotional babble and name calling instead of reason, and calm adult rational discourse, then I can only hope evolution has not reached the pinnacle but is only taking a rest stop. But hey, there's reason to search for truth anyway because thoughts are mere random physical states and the ones that live on do so because of survival advantage, not truth.

There is no TRUTH! Is that true?

God is generally a non-scientific question... most talk of god is outside of time, outside of the universe, undetectable, etc. it's Russell's Teapot.

From a scientific position, there isn't any real evidence.

It's a answer that causes more problems than it solves, and you can only really suggest it from a quasi-philosophical position.

Science doesnt really "rule out" god so much as discover so much that it's harder and harder to find a hiding space for God... before we built airplanes and space ships god was "in the clouds" or "in the sky" now god has had to change to be "outside the universe" etc...

pnome

Why Science? by James Trefil

James Trefil coherently presents an argument that a basic understanding of science is necessary for individuals to take part intelligently in modern social & political discourse.

I would add religious discourse into the mix also.

I think you slightly misunderstood my easily misunderstood post.

I'm not asking "Why science?" as in "Why do we bother with science?" But rather "Why science?" as in "Why is the universe ordered in such a way that science is useful, or even possible?"