Windows XP Startup CD

thomasr

My laptop just went bizzerk. It has Windows XP as the OS. I do not have an OS installation CD, the OS software is loaded on a partition of the hard drive. As the computer is booting up, it hangs up with the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config]system"
The only option it gives me is to try and repair the file using the original Win setup CD...which I don't have one of. Reloading to an original configuration is not an option...if I try I get the same above message.

Is there a WinXP starup disk? I just did a search on my desktop WinXP unit and it wasn't much help. I Googled it and got a lot of contradicting info. Can I make an emergency start up CD with the same info as on an emergency start up floppy? Is there some other way to get my laptop straightened out? Thanks in advance.

Fletch_W

Banned
Unfortunately, I think microsoft has abandoned XP service for non-server systems, so you couldn't get a replacement if you tried.

On the bright side, OSX can run windows, so you could switch operating systems and then go from there to determine what the problem is after start-up. Hopefully someone more experienced than I on operating systems can help walk you through that, or other options.

Look around for a computer service store. One of those places that advertise that they will clean up your computer.

They will have a disc that will get you started, and should be able to make you a start up disc.

wmahunter

Banned
What is the make and model of the laptop? I think I have several old recovery cd's for laptops that have gone to the computer heaven and would be glad to send you one if it matches your laptop.

thomasr

What is the make and model of the laptop? I think I have several old recovery cd's for laptops that have gone to the computer heaven and would be glad to send you one if it matches your laptop.

Thanks. It is a Lenovo 3000 C200...not a very common unit but I got it "free" when I took an on-line course. Appreciate all the help y'all. :flag:

Fletch_W

Banned
Borderline off-topic, but the price of repair or restoration will be comparable to getting a new computer. That's what Clark Howard would say. If you have important data that needs recovery, you definitely need to seek professional service. No amount of online advice can walk you through computer forensics.

jmfauver

From the information provided:

This was used and the original owner at one time was prompted to create a start up disk,he/she did not do it so at this point you are in trouble.

If you cannot perform a complete system restore then that tells me you have not backed up your data files,again you are in trouble..

I would find and order restore disks for your laptop ( pm me ),check Ebay for a external hard drive case and order a new internal hard drive,replace your hard drive and then restore to the system default,then connect the external disk to your laptop and recover your data....use the external drive after reformatting it as a storage device for your data,still back it up to a cdrom every so often since hard drives do fail.....

I know this is a lot of info and a lot to do but this is what happens when you do not back up your data and then have an OS failure...

thomasr

Thanks jmfauver. Data files are not a problem...I have an external HD and a thumb drive for those and backed everything up. I'm just trying to get the laptop working again. I did create the startup disk when I first got the laptop, but kept them in the carry bag. My daughter "borrowed" the bag to take her laptop to school and misplaced them. She's moved twice since then. There is nothing on the HD that I'm worried about saving. While a little dated, it's still a good laptop well suited for what I do with a laptop these days. I've considered just getting a new copy of the OS and doing a fresh load...I just thought a fresh copy of Windows XP would be a little cheaper now...not necessarily so. I'm not totally PC clueless but all my usual tricks aren't working.

Anybody got a used copy of Win-XP they'd like to get rid of?

Les Miles

Banned
Thanks jmfauver. Data files are not a problem...I have an external HD and a thumb drive for those and backed everything up. I'm just trying to get the laptop working again. I did create the startup disk when I first got the laptop, but kept them in the carry bag. My daughter "borrowed" the bag to take her laptop to school and misplaced them. She's moved twice since then. There is nothing on the HD that I'm worried about saving. While a little dated, it's still a good laptop well suited for what I do with a laptop these days. I've considered just getting a new copy of the OS and doing a fresh load...I just thought a fresh copy of Windows XP would be a little cheaper now...not necessarily so. I'm not totally PC clueless but all my usual tricks aren't working.

XP Pro or XP Home? Look for the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of the laptop in order to identify the correct version. It's the key on that label that is valuable, not the media itself. Let me know what you find. I may be able to help you.

thomasr

XP Pro or XP Home? Look for the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of the laptop in order to identify the correct version. It's the key on that label that is valuable, not the media itself. Let me know what you find. I may be able to help you.

The label has the key in its entirety but the part with the name is smudged, but I'm pretty sure I can make out Professional. That would be awesome if you can help.

jmfauver

I responded to your PM without reading this...When the system boots try hitting F8 or f12,that should give you a boot menu and allow you to reinstall the OS,make sure you have the drivers downloaded just in case they are not on the restore partition...

rjcruiser

make sure you have the drivers downloaded just in case they are not on the restore partition...

that is the biggest pain with the recovery disks.

Did a clean on my laptop this summer and after that, the wireless router didn't work and the memory card reader didn't work.

Had to download the drivers via the mfg website...not impossible to do, but it was a pain. But...by wiping the laptop and starting over, it got rid of a lot of "free-trial" add-on software that was pre-loaded when I got it. Runs much smoother now.