Windows 10 Recovery disk?

Artfuldodger

I had a problem booting from my hard drive earlier today. Maybe it was just related to an update. Sometimes when my computer updates Windows it gets hung up and I have to do a manual restart.
This wasn't the case this morning. I had trouble printing an Open Office document so I thought a startup might help. It wouldn't boot up. It would go past the bios screen but never start windows. Maybe it was installing updates. I wish if that was what it was doing it would say so. I guess it can't because it is in the middle of booting and can't tell me it is installing updates.

Anyway I put in an old Windows 7 boot disk and it started up to my regular Windows 10 screen. Maybe it didn't boot from the Windows 7 disk after all. It could have just been a coincidence.

But it did scare me enough to want some type of recovery or boot disk. Maybe something simple to get me to a Safe-mode screen. I would prefer a DVD as to a USB device. I might could find a DVD easier than a thumb drive.

Any advice? Something free perhaps?

I have the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system.

Dr. Strangelove

Go to control panel. Select backup and restore under System and Security. Select create a repair disk. This will allow you to create a boot disk.

Artfuldodger

Go to control panel. Select backup and restore under System and Security. Select create a repair disk. This will allow you to create a boot disk.

I went to control panel and my backup and restore has says "backup and restore window 7"
Then it says "windows backup has not been set up"

Should I set it up anyway?

I see "create a system repair disk" I wonder if that will create windows 7 or 10 repair disk or if it matters? I already have a Windows 7 recovery disk I did as you explained when I got the computer before the Windows 10 upgrade.

I'll probably create one anyway as a start, thanks.

WayneB

for the most part, any windows disk beyond win 3.1 will load enough drivers to get you back up and running.
Even confusers have brain toots.
Use the recovery disk you have.

Dr. Strangelove

I went to control panel and my backup and restore has says "backup and restore window 7"
Then it says "windows backup has not been set up"

Should I set it up anyway?

I see "create a system repair disk" I wonder if that will create windows 7 or 10 repair disk or if it matters? I already have a Windows 7 recovery disk I did as you explained when I got the computer before the Windows 10 upgrade.

I'll probably create one anyway as a start, thanks.

I dunno, mine says the same thing, I assume it will create a usable boot disk. If I get bored later on I'll give it a try. I'm on a laptop that was originally Win7 that got the free update.

Artfuldodger

Yeah, I think it'll create a usable boot disk as WayneB suggested.

I remember back in the day when we had the usual homemade boot disk. Usually containing Dos commands like Fdisk and check disk files,etc.
I had a few aftermarket ones that were supposedly better. They probably weren't as I never had to use all of the files on the. I guess for someone who works on computers.

I think the disk I made will suffice.

I don't see where the average person needs one of these aftermarket disk like this;

http://boot-disk.com/

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Boot-Genius/3000-2094_4-75827488.html

Latest posts