Wish we still had Sauger in Clarks Hill!

MrStark

I visited Richard Gene the fishing Machines home waters a couple of weeks ago to try one of the spots he's shared on his channel for Sauger and wasn't disappointed.

I know they used to be in Clarks Hill, has anyone caught one in recent memory? I wish the DNR would stock them again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know, they are completely gone from the Hill. We used to catch a lot of them in Lake Douglas near here in eastern TN, and in the Pigeon and French Broad rivers when they spawned in the late winter/early spring. There aren't as many of them as there used to be, but there is still a fishery. They are excellent eating, just as good as walleye, IMO.

Athos

I’ve caught several up on the Tennessee River. Fine eating. I’d heard that they were making a bit of a comeback on Wilson/Wheeler, etc. not sure where I saw that. I’ll have to look.

cowhornedspike

Caught some in Hartwell years ago. Probably none left there either now.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I caught one in little river (Georgia side, close to Holiday Park) about 15 years ago and had no idea they were ever in the lake. It was a small one, about 10 inches long. They ought to do fine below the dam at the hill....but I have never caught one there. It'd be a good addition to the winter bite! They eat as good as anything that swims....I was fortunate to work in North Alabama years ago and they were thick and easy to catch below Wheeler dam.