Caught my largest shellcracker so far.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've caught shellcrackers over two pounds before, but recently caught one that weighed 2 1/2 pounds on the de-liar scales. Now I'm after one larger. Dad said wish big all wishes cost the same..lol
Recently beat two other fellows on my boat catfishing. They opted to use worms and liver. But when i began pulling in big channel cats using hot dogs, they switched. Cut those dogs up in pieces and soaked them overnight in strawberry Jello. Worked so well, one rod and reel is all I could keep up with. After catching all the cats we wanted, we moved in next to an island and picked off 12 nice shellcrackers that averaged about 3/4 pounds. Cats were in 15 feet of water.
One of the fellows took a couple photos, wish I had taken a photo of the whole mess. Can't beat those two fellows fishing with me. They took my fish off, managed the anchors and cleaned the fish. Step sons.

Attachments

• catfish 29 may .jpeg
    catfish 29 may .jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 93
  • catfish may 29.jpeg
    catfish may 29.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 93

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Forgot the photo. They are big when you can lip them. I've noticed I need to lose some weight, I'm making the fish look small.

Attachments

• cracker 2 and a half.jpg
    cracker 2 and a half.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Caught the cracker on a sandy bottom next to hydrilla using a worm. Not on a bed, It's just one of my favorite spots. 5 to 6 feet of water and clear. I've also caught some nice cats at the same place on a cloudy day.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Shellcrackers are averaging larger this year for some reason. Guess the lake has grown up so much with cattails and other weeds, folks can't get to some areas. Allowing the fish to live longer and get larger. There's many acres in Seminole I can't fish anymore even with a small boat. Airboats can get to many of those areas, but weeds hide most fish beds except for those in cattails. Airboats can find those. I don't find it fun pulling shellcrackers straight up in cattails. Love to play them a bit in some open water on light tackle.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Big'un!