Wolf??? Or Not!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Wolves are notably LARGE.
Hard to gauge their size in those pictures...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All eastern coyotes they've DNA tested are at least about 25-30% wolf. Different hybrid critter here than the western coyotes.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m convinced that what we have here are red wolves. The ones in the wild look and sound like the red wolves in the breeding program at Chehaw Park in Albany. And they run in packs.

lampern

Pennsylvania and north many coyotes have timber wolf dna

I don't think southern coyotes have wolf dna

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pennsylvania and north many coyotes have timber wolf dna

I don't think southern coyotes have wolf dna
You can argue with the scientists who do DNA studies on them and say that they are about 1/3 wolf, and convince them you're an expert on it, then. Go look at a western coyote. They look nor act nothing like our hybrid canines. Nor do they have color variations like ours. We're talking more about red wolf/ Bartram's/Florida wolf here than northern timber wolves.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I`m convinced that what we have here are red wolves. The ones in the wild look and sound like the red wolves in the breeding program at Chehaw Park in Albany. And they run in packs.
I live about 25 miles from a facility that raises pure-blooded red wolves for reintroduction programs. I've spent a good bit of time observing them. I see "coyotes" on a regular basis that look just like the ones over there.

Recent trailcam pics from my place:

woof.jpg

woof2.jpg

woof3.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They do have kinda rounded ears. Maybe hybrids. Coydogs
Except the numerous DNA studies don't show dog DNA. Very little of it. They show mostly at least 30% wolf DNA.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve spent a lifetime in the woods. I live in the Oconee National Forest. I’ve seen coyotes on a kill and one howl from the woods sends them running away like the devil was after them. A few minutes later the big boys showed up. Bigger than a yote and their eyes were a different size and meant business when they stared up at me in a tree. Didn’t take but a few minutes for them to finish that deer off then they were gone. Don’t see the small coyotes now that we saw in the sixties and early seventies. All are like Nic’s pictures.