Wondra flour uses?

Artfuldodger

I've seen it in the store. It is a low-protein, finely ground wheat flour that has been pre-cooked and dried. While other flours can seize up and clump when heated or stirred into liquid and must be cooked to get rid of its raw taste, Wondra instantly dissolves in liquids and won't form lumps.

I saw where people use it to coat meat chunks before deep-frying. Anyone use it for that or other reasons?
I can see where it would be good for gravy but if you don't brown it wouldn't your gravy be pale in color? One reason to brown flour for gravy is where it don't taste like raw flour. Wondra is already cooked.

It can also be used to bread meat, fish, or vegetables, as it will give them an extra-light and crispy crust when fried or baked.

Artfuldodger

Somewhat related would be to go ahead and brown a good amount of regular flour and store it in a container for future gravy making.
It could still be lumpy though.

Then there is cornstarch for a thickener but it needs to be made into a slurry to add to a sauce. You can add Wondra directly to a simmering liquid without having to make a slurry.

Sounds good for Chinese dishes to thicken them up. I hate making cornstarch slurry.

Last edited: