Fun Night in the Islands

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My son is in on leave for the weekend. We decided yesterday for some reason that we were making Jamaican beef patties for supper. They're a meat pie/empanada type thing with a flaky pie-crust type shell laced with curry and turmeric filled with Caribbean-spiced ground beef. Neither of us have ever attempted to make these things, so we spent a couple hours on Youtube watching Jamaicans making them. Then we commandeered the kitchen, cranked up the Marley and Sublime, broke out the beer and proceeded to start making a horrendous mess. A few hours and many beers later, we had patties and fried plantains and a heckuva mess. They actually turned out quite delicious to be made by a couple drunken fools who had no idea what they were doing. About the most fun I've had in a long, long time.

cody.jpg

Dough ready to rest. It's a basic pie crust dough with lots of butter, turmeric, and curry that's rolled out thin, covered with grated frozen butter, folded, and rolled back out repeatedly to build up flaky layers like puff pastry:
patty1.jpg

Ingredients for the Seasoning Paste of Death- habanero peppers, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, scallions, thyme, and such pureed in the blender:

patty2.jpg

The seasoning paste browning in some oil before adding the meat:

patty3.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the meat filling. You dump it in with the paste, brown it up, and add more stuff like soy sauce, Worcestershire, allspice, smoked paprika, and other such stuff. So, since I forgot to take a pic, I made an incredibly realistic artistic rendering of it:
patty5.jpg

I also forgot to take pics of the process of rolling out the dough, cutting it into big circles, filling it with meat, and crimping the edges. I have no idea why my memory was failing at this point. :bounce:

Anyway, we finally got them finished, fried up some plantains to go with them, and they were quite good. I also should have cut one of them open and taken a pic, but you can picture spicy meat filling in there.

patty4.jpg

Supper: Very good.
Memories and fun of cutting up, having fun cooking with my son: Priceless.

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Caribbean cuisine is the one style I haven't ventured into. Looks like you got it mastered.

bany

What a mess!! I’m sure y’all enjoyed everything about your day!

Dr. Strangelove

I miss the little stands in Florida that used to sell them.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
H22 and I had our first empanadas a few weeks ago at a restaurant. So good and Ya'lls look perfect!
That boy has done got grown. Looks a lot like his daddy. Looks like a great time and food.

slow motion

My son is in on leave for the weekend. We decided yesterday for some reason that we were making Jamaican beef patties for supper. They're a meat pie/empanada type thing with a flaky pie-crust type shell laced with curry and turmeric filled with Caribbean-spiced ground beef. Neither of us have ever attempted to make these things, so we spent a couple hours on Youtube watching Jamaicans making them. Then we commandeered the kitchen, cranked up the Marley and Sublime, broke out the beer and proceeded to start making a horrendous mess. A few hours and many beers later, we had patties and fried plantains and a heckuva mess. They actually turned out quite delicious to be made by a couple drunken fools who had no idea what they were doing. About the most fun I've had in a long, long time.

View attachment 1091444

Dough ready to rest. It's a basic pie crust dough with lots of butter, turmeric, and curry that's rolled out thin, covered with grated frozen butter, folded, and rolled back out repeatedly to build up flaky layers like puff pastry:
View attachment 1091438

Ingredients for the Seasoning Paste of Death- habanero peppers, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, scallions, thyme, and such pureed in the blender:

View attachment 1091439

The seasoning paste browning in some oil before adding the meat:

View attachment 1091440

I forgot to take a pic of the meat filling. You dump it in with the paste, brown it up, and add more stuff like soy sauce, Worcestershire, allspice, smoked paprika, and other such stuff. So, since I forgot to take a pic, I made an incredibly realistic artistic rendering of it:
View attachment 1091441

I also forgot to take pics of the process of rolling out the dough, cutting it into big circles, filling it with meat, and crimping the edges. I have no idea why my memory was failing at this point. :bounce:

Anyway, we finally got them finished, fried up some plantains to go with them, and they were quite good. I also should have cut one of them open and taken a pic, but you can picture spicy meat filling in there.

View attachment 1091442

Supper: Very good.
Memories and fun of cutting up, having fun cooking with my son: Priceless.
Not sure how I missed this. Looks fabulous. Thanks to your son for his service to OUR COUNTRY.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
@NCHillbilly Had to search for this thread. We are taking empanadas to H22's sister's for Christmas tailgate/finger food. Do you fry them or bake them or do you remember. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member