Woodcock in privet

nrh0011

Anyone have any luck hunting woodcock in privet hedge around creek bottoms? Seems like it would be pretty good cover. Something like pictured below I figured would hold some birds, didn’t see any sign here today though.

Attachments

• 11B49FFE-2A39-4F79-8DE9-00C83A1CEEBF.jpeg
    11B49FFE-2A39-4F79-8DE9-00C83A1CEEBF.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 102

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Fortunately where I hunt privet isn't a factor. However, it is good cover from what I've heard from a man who hunts them in middle Ga. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I find them in privet bottoms. The closer to field edges the better. Really any opening like food plots or utilities openings will hold birds at long as the ground is moist enough.

coachdoug87

I find more in privet than any other cover. Usually privet of a lot of different sizes and other shrubs, cane and stuff mixed in. The way it is with these birds is that they may not have been there when you hunted, but they might be there today, or they might have been there the day before you were.

trad bow

Anyone have any luck hunting woodcock in privet hedge around creek bottoms? Seems like it would be pretty good cover. Something like pictured below I figured would hold some birds, didn’t see any sign here today though.
That’s prime cover. Woodcock mainly feed at night in openings and then roost on the ground in thickets for protection during the day.

nrh0011

Thanks, I actually flushed one on the edge of a logging road on my way out. It was in some select cut pines with broom sage and other bush type cover. Maybe I'll start there.

trad bow

I hope I’m well enough to start going by the end of the week. This flu virus crud croup I’ve had past three weeks kick my behind. All test for the above mentioned came back negative.

nrh0011

I hope I’m well enough to start going by the end of the week. This flu virus crud croup I’ve had past three weeks kick my behind. All test for the above mentioned came back negative.

This will be the first year with your pup right? Hope you can get out there too man!

mlandrum

I’m headed in a field that twO weeks ago I jumped some while going to hunt deer! They were sucking some worms out of where some wild hogs had been rooting, it was 5:30 in the morning? Me and “scout” didn’t flush any thing Saturday morning?B18CF492-BC18-4BA2-8108-0B5DD396252B.jpeg

nrh0011

Have yall had any luck right after a good rain or during a light rain? Still hunt the same sort of spots in that scenario or move up toward the ridges?